Need Help w/Booting Up Freeze

G

I have an Asus K7M motherboard with a 900mhz Athlon TBird CPU. I'm one 256Meg Dimm from Crucial. When I turn on my PC it goes the usual process of booting up. However, every now and then the computer freezes just before it finishes loading Windows (it usually freezes just after or just before the password window pops up). When it does this, a thin "line" green appears on the top of the screen. This happens about 50% of the time that I turn on my computer.

The cards on my system are an ISA sound card from SoundBlaster, a PCI ethernet card, a PCI video card from Diamond using the NVidia chipset, and a Hauppauge TV Tuner PCI tuner card. Other components are: Zip external drive, Iomega CDR drive, CD rom drive, floppy, ps2 mouse, ps2 keyboard, serial Wacom tablet, printer, Umax scanner, external modem (hooked up to the ethernet card), and USP joystick.

Might my PC be having IRQ conflicts? Or may the motherboard be damaged? I have checked for conflicts under the properties of "My Computer," but none were detected (that is, no exclamation marks were present). Or could it be an operating system problem?

Any advice would be appreciated.

An Abit my Asus when I was Tyan to boot up.

G

is this a new machine, or one thats been running a while with a new problem? reason i ask is that if its been around a while we might be able to isolate any recent additions or changes to the machine such as new software, drivers, pci cards, etc.

ignore everything i say

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
well, i think the first thing you want to do is remove everything except your vid card. i ahev seen systems that lock up at that point going from vga to svga mode b/c of bad vid ram. once that has been eliminated as a source of the problem id start adding the other components individually to see where the problem lies. i hope im on the right track.... anyone else?

G

Actually, I recently replaced the motherboard and the CPU. So those two components are new.

G

I think I tried that about a week ago, but I can't recall if I did. I'll try it again nonetheless.

G

when you swaped mobo's, did you reformat the hard drive or just let plug and play install the new chipset? also, what mobo did you have before?

ignore everything i say

G

I had an Asus PII motherboard (I can't remember the model). No, I did not reformat the hard drive (I just let Plug and Play install the new chipset, including all components).

G

more than likely, thats your problem......installing a new mobo (especially one with a completely different chipset) rarely works smoothly without a reformat. i would highly recommend that you back up all your data and reformat you drive and start over with fresh drivers, etc. Even if we troubleshoot this particular issue and resolve it, you will certainly face future bugs and performance issues. avoid this by starting fresh....

ignore everything i say

G

Thanks for the advice. I will try reformatting my hard drive and starting from scratch.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
When it does this, a thin "line" green appears on the top of the screen
There are some suggestions for this very problem at <A HREF="http://www.geforcefaq.com" target="_new">http://www.geforcefaq.com</A>. Use your browser's find function to locate "green line"

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
I had the same problem. Found that I had some hidden virus scan program installed in one or two of the McAfee Network Associates programs, i.e., First Aid, Guard Dog, even MS Plus (all these programs have a hidden install of virus scan), then what really caused the problem was when I installed the online version of McAfee.Com's "Active Shield". After I uninstalled all the virus scans programs and active shield that green "Bar Code" type line problem went away. I think the ActiveX components inside of Active Shield had a great contributing factor.

You should never have more than ONE virus scan software program installed at the same time. If you do, you will experience instabilities of the weirdest kind. I don't know if this is your problem, but just for the FYI: McAfee's web site has instruction on how to uninstall virus scan and active shield. Hope this helps.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men