Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey everyone. Just wanted to post some good news. Thought some of you may want to hear a success story for once. This is also just in case there are still people out there w/ A7V questions. I just finished building a friend a new computer. Here's the details:

Asus A7V133 No-audio (revision?)
GeForce V7700-DDR Pure GeF2 GTS (32Mb)
256Mb Micron PC133 32x64 SDRAM
40.0 Gb IBM DeskStar (MASTER ATA100 PORT)
Athlon 1.2Ghz
SoundBlaster Live! Value (Slot 3)
Creative ModemBlaster 56K PCI (Slot 5)
LinkSys Ethernet card (10/100) (Slot 4)
ASUS S500 50x Cdrom (MASTER, Secondary IDE)
Plextor 16/10/40A (SLAVE, Secondary IDE)
Mitsumi 3.5" floppy
Microsoft keyboard and mouse (PS2)
19" Sony Flat Triniton G400 (VERY NICE...slobbering)
Altek Lansing ACS54 5-pc
Mid-Tower Enlight-7237 300W UL ATX
MS Windows 98SE

Setting up the system was definitely more difficult than the two Intel-based (Celeron) systems I put together. I was tempted to build her a P4 system, but the $$$ was still a bit too pricey. I wanted to make sure I built a system for her that was STABLE first and FAST second. I'm sure any of you who has built a system for someone else knows exactly what I mean.

Anyway, I feel the only thing that makes this system difficult to set up is:

1. ATA100 Promise drivers...make sure you install hd on ATA66 IDE first.
2. Plextor CD/RW was the biggest culprit. Make sure you guys install this LAST- and I mean dead last. You also will likely have to update the ASPI layer. Thanks for the guy who posted this...I don't remember who or where....but thank you. Your advice worked like a charm.

If anyone wants to know my precise steps in setting this up just let me know.

3DMark2001 benchmark results: 2600pts

This seems *REALLY* low. But this is my first run w/ 3DMark2001. Note that I have the BIOS set to NORMAL instead of OPTIMAL and AGP FastWrites DISABLED for added stability.

Any comments? Questions?

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Congrats.
Good to know your happy with the system.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>