ABIT BX133-RAID MB

G

Ok All, I am new to Tom's hardware, You guys are my last resort. About seven months ago I built a PC using the ABIT BX133-RAID Board, with an PIII 733mhz. I have had nothing but problems with configureation, Devices etc. Original system included IBM 30gig 7200ATA100, ATI Rage Video card w/32meg, SB16PCI card, Zip250IDE, 48XCD-Rom, 4XJVC Burner, 128meg ram. From day one I have had problems getting the drives to work correct, system lock ups, can not get reliable CD burns, Not always seeing IDE Drives. I have installed Win98 and ME on 5th install as of now. Current configuration following has changed. Drive is now WD40gig 7200rpm ATA100, On it's own channel. Yamaha 16X CD Burner, 256meg Micron Memory. Still having problems burning CD's, Can not burn faster then 4X. Will not shut down with Zip disk in Drive, System will not go into shut down, Intermittent lockups seeing devices problems. I have tried contacting ABIT with no seccess, Have downloaded latest drivers, still not luck. I am aboout to toss this board. First time I have not been able to figure one out. HELP!

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did you install your component one at a time? Make sure you don't install the cd-burner until LAST. I couldn't get an A7V system to work when I installed it before the soundcard, modem, and ethernet.

Installing 1 at a time is a very very good practice because if any of the devices (ex soundcard) causes problems, you will know it because you methodically installed each component.

Most people recommend putting the burner as MASTER on its own channel. But I had better luck with it set to SLAVE and Cdrom as MASTER, and hd as MASTER on its own port. I don't know if this is optimal though...

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Put your Hard drive master on the first UDMA 100 channel, your CDROM master on the second 100 channel, your CDRW as master on the first UDMA 33 channel, your Zip as master on the second 33 channel. If you add another slow drive, you can put it as Slave on the Secondary UDMA 33 channel.
What goes on sometimes with drives is that to much activity on one channel will cause them to make intermittant stops. This can be catostrophic when burning CD's. I recommend you ALWAYS keep the CDRW on it's own channel, and UDMA33 is more than fast enough for even the fastest CDRW's. Zip drives can slow down a channel, so I recommend you put that on the second 33 channel, and any other slow drives on the same. With the settup I just described, everything gets it's own channel and the Zip interferes with nothing.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

Here's what I have set up.

System HDD on master UDMA100 channel 1
2 x HDD (RAID 0) on master & Slave UDMA100 channel 2
CD-ROM on master UDMA66/33 channel 1
CD-RW on master UDMA66/33 channel 2

I planned the system and mobo so I could run almost everything on master. This removes the possibility of master/slave problems. If you can, try to do the same.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>