The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic.php?board=924363
This seems to be an OK forum.
Although, too many posts about, "will my machine be okay?

Any comments?
12 answers Last reply
More about elder scrolls oblivion
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    "drybones" <drybones@charter.net> wrote:

    >http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic.php?board=924363
    >This seems to be an OK forum.
    >Although, too many posts about, "will my machine be okay?
    >
    >Any comments?

    What are the suggested reqs looking like for ESIVO
    these days?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    :phant wrote:
    > "drybones" <drybones@charter.net> wrote:
    >

    >>http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic.php?board=924363
    >>This seems to be an OK forum.
    >>Although, too many posts about, "will my machine be okay?
    >>
    >>Any comments?
    >>

    > What are the suggested reqs looking like for ESIVO
    > these days?

    If its anything like the previous releases they will be more than what
    most people are currently running, and definitely less than what is
    needed to make it run acceptably.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 23:01:42 GMT, "Michael W. Ryder"
    <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    >:phant wrote:
    >> "drybones" <drybones@charter.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic.php?board=924363
    >>>This seems to be an OK forum.
    >>>Although, too many posts about, "will my machine be okay?
    >>>
    >>>Any comments?
    >>>

    >> What are the suggested reqs looking like for ESIVO
    >> these days?
    >>

    >If its anything like the previous releases they will be more than what
    >most people are currently running, and definitely less than what is
    >needed to make it run acceptably.

    Actually, you'd be surprised at how well Morrowind runs at recommended
    specs in all but one area: processor. I meet the recommended for
    video, exceed the recommended for RAM, and just barely make minimum
    for the processor. After hearing all the complaints about how badly it
    runs on a 2 GHz setup, I was glad I didn't spend the money.

    - Tarvok
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    Daryl Sawyer wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 23:01:42 GMT, "Michael W. Ryder"
    > <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >

    >>:phant wrote:

    >>>What are the suggested reqs looking like for ESIVO
    >>>these days?
    >>>

    >>If its anything like the previous releases they will be more than what
    >>most people are currently running, and definitely less than what is
    >>needed to make it run acceptably.
    >

    > Actually, you'd be surprised at how well Morrowind runs at recommended
    > specs in all but one area: processor. I meet the recommended for
    > video, exceed the recommended for RAM, and just barely make minimum
    > for the processor. After hearing all the complaints about how badly it
    > runs on a 2 GHz setup, I was glad I didn't spend the money.
    >

    > - Tarvok

    I exceeded the specs on everything and still had major problems. I was
    running a 2 GHz P4 with 512 MB of RDRAM and an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro and
    was having a major problem with memory leaks. Only after I went to 1 GB
    did the problems mostly go away.
    Considering the specs called for 850 MHz and 256 MB my original system
    should have been enough. I was having the problems with the original
    Morrowind and no mods even. Adding the official sequels and a couple of
    official mods only made it worse. I had the same problems with Arena
    and Daggerfall needing much more than the specs. I am sure that the
    specs are deliberately made to not scare away most buyers.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    "Michael W. Ryder" <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >:phant wrote:
    >> "drybones" <drybones@charter.net> wrote:
    >>>http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic.php?board=924363
    >>>This seems to be an OK forum.
    >>>Although, too many posts about, "will my machine be okay?
    >>>
    >>>Any comments?
    >>
    >> What are the suggested reqs looking like for ESIVO
    >> these days?
    >>
    >If its anything like the previous releases they will be more than what
    >most people are currently running, and definitely less than what is
    >needed to make it run acceptably.

    I've been afraid of that.

    If the X-Box 360 specs are any clue, then it's processor that's
    going to be the biggest obstacle this time around. The things
    supposed to have a 3 core 3.2ghz CPU.

    Only 512mb memory though. Which seems unimpressive, as do most
    of it's other specs.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    I thought that MW ran very well on a wide range of equipment. When I
    first got it (when it first came out), I had an overclocked celeron
    (running at about 700 MHz), around 384 MB memory, and--I think--a
    Geforce II. The game ran nicely, though water looked like flexing
    polygons of grey. Every time I upgraded my machine (especially the
    video card), the game looked more dazzling. Now I get spectacular
    water scenes and have little problem with NPC intensive mods like
    MW_children and Wildernesss loaded. But, the game was very playable
    (and visually impressive), even on my old machine. I have similar
    hopes for Oblivion. That is, that it will run "acceptably" on a wide
    range of computers when it comes out, but that it will be "better" as
    people upgrade.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    "Daryl Sawyer" <tarNOvokSPAM@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > >If its anything like the previous releases they will be more than what
    > >most people are currently running, and definitely less than what is
    > >needed to make it run acceptably.
    >
    > Actually, you'd be surprised at how well Morrowind runs at recommended
    > specs in all but one area: processor. I meet the recommended for
    > video, exceed the recommended for RAM, and just barely make minimum
    > for the processor. After hearing all the complaints about how badly it
    > runs on a 2 GHz setup, I was glad I didn't spend the money.

    My Morrowind runs fine on my PC most of the time (the Propylon areas run
    slowly, as do some other places where there's a lot of steam). I have a 1.6
    GHz AMD with 512 MB RAM, and S3 onboard video with 64 MB RAM (32 + 32
    reserved by the BIOS). I'm probably missing out on some of the visuals, but
    it looks great to me.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    "DeAnn" <diwan@mitre.org> wrote in message
    >I thought that MW ran very well on a wide range of equipment. When I
    > first got it (when it first came out), I had an overclocked celeron
    > (running at about 700 MHz), around 384 MB memory, and--I think--a
    > Geforce II. The game ran nicely, though water looked like flexing

    I had more or less the same experience. When MW first came out, I still had
    a 400MHz Pentium II, with 256 MB of memory and a GeForce II. The game was a
    bit slow in spots, but ran amazingly well considering the processor was 100
    MHz below recommended spec. I put in a Radeon 9000 in place of the Nvidia
    card, and that made a dramatic improvement right there. Then I finally got
    myself a 1.2 GHz Athlon and doubled the RAM, and the game's been running
    virtually flawlessly ever since.

    With the occasional crash to desktop, which it never did when I ran it on
    the P2, oddly enough.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    :phant wrote:

    > Only 512mb memory though. Which seems unimpressive, as do most
    > of it's other specs.

    Since when do console systems *ever* have an "impressive" amount
    of RAM? I'm not sure why this is, but I am sure you can't judge
    a console's specs by PC standards.

    - Tarvok
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    "Daryl Sawyer" <tarNOvokSPAM@sbcglobal.net> skrev i
    en meddelelse
    > On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 23:01:42 GMT, "Michael W.
    Ryder"
    > <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >
    >>:phant wrote:

    be okay?

    >>> What are the suggested reqs looking like for
    ESIVO
    >>> these days?
    >>>

    >>If its anything like the previous releases they
    will be more than what
    >>most people are currently running, and definitely
    less than what is
    >>needed to make it run acceptably.
    >
    > Actually, you'd be surprised at how well Morrowind
    runs at recommended
    > specs in all but one area: processor. I meet the
    recommended for
    > video, exceed the recommended for RAM, and just
    barely make minimum
    > for the processor. After hearing all the complaints
    about how badly it
    > runs on a 2 GHz setup, I was glad I didn't spend
    the money.

    > - Tarvok

    If you consider the "golden rule" of computers: that
    the costs drops by 50 % in
    a year (or less) and the power and potential doubles
    (minimum) during the same
    period - and compares this timespan with the time
    since Morrowind hit the market,
    it stands to reason - unfortunately - that the
    minimum requirements for Oblivion
    will need a pc twice as powerful than the one you
    have today, and that the
    recommended specs are for a machine with at least
    four to five times the
    power of your current PC.

    Daggerfall was, and Oblivion will be state-of-the-art
    games in the sense that
    they is a demonstration of what the current, and
    latest technogical advances
    in this field can do. A showcase, if you will, of a
    new generation of computers.

    And it is very likely, that an upgrade is not enough.
    That the difference will be
    like the difference between the windows 95/98 and
    windows XP.

    And it also, just possible, that Arena and Daggerfall
    will be unplayable on
    the stronger computer. But Bethesda could solve this
    by issuing a complete
    Elderscrolls set for the new generation of computers

    merlin
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    Merlin wrote:
    > "Daryl Sawyer" <tarNOvokSPAM@sbcglobal.net> skrev i
    > en meddelelse
    > > On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 23:01:42 GMT, "Michael W.
    > Ryder"
    > > <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    > be okay?

    > ESIVO
    > >>>

    > >>If its anything like the previous releases they
    > will be more than what
    > >>most people are currently running, and definitely
    > less than what is
    > >>needed to make it run acceptably.
    > >
    > > Actually, you'd be surprised at how well Morrowind
    > runs at recommended
    > > specs in all but one area: processor. I meet the
    > recommended for
    > > video, exceed the recommended for RAM, and just
    > barely make minimum
    > > for the processor. After hearing all the complaints
    > about how badly it
    > > runs on a 2 GHz setup, I was glad I didn't spend
    > the money.
    > >

    > > - Tarvok
    >
    > If you consider the "golden rule" of computers: that
    > the costs drops by 50 % in
    > a year (or less) and the power and potential doubles
    > (minimum) during the same
    > period - and compares this timespan with the time
    > since Morrowind hit the market,
    > it stands to reason - unfortunately - that the
    > minimum requirements for Oblivion
    > will need a pc twice as powerful than the one you
    > have today, and that the
    > recommended specs are for a machine with at least
    > four to five times the
    > power of your current PC.

    The only way we are going to get more power in a PC is by going to
    multiple core or multiple CPU computers with multiple video cards. I
    don't think Any game will be worth the cost both in money and noise,
    heat. Rather than using the brute force (Microsoft) method of
    programming they should improve their coding. This would reduce the
    computing power necessary and reduce the number of bugs.
    In the days of Arena there were people who used commercial products to
    rush games out the door and they were usually much bigger and slower
    than the games made by companies using all the tricks to make the game
    more efficient.

    > Daggerfall was, and Oblivion will be state-of-the-art
    > games in the sense that
    > they is a demonstration of what the current, and
    > latest technogical advances
    > in this field can do. A showcase, if you will, of a
    > new generation of computers.
    >
    > And it is very likely, that an upgrade is not enough.
    > That the difference will be
    > like the difference between the windows 95/98 and
    > windows XP.
    >
    > And it also, just possible, that Arena and Daggerfall
    > will be unplayable on
    > the stronger computer. But Bethesda could solve this
    > by issuing a complete
    > Elderscrolls set for the new generation of computers

    Arena is still playable on newer computers. The computer I used to
    complete Morrowind, Pentium 4 2.0 GHz, runs Arena fine as long as I stay
    away from XP. I seriously doubt Bethesda is going to rewrite their
    older products for the newer technology. Origin's Wing Commander series
    was much more successful than the Elder Scrolls but there has never been
    any attempt to update these games, most of which will definitely not
    work correctly on newer hardware.

    > merlin

  12. Quote:
    http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic.php?board=924363
    This seems to be an OK forum.
    Although, too many posts about, "will my machine be okay?

    Any comments?

    Well, I used to post there on occasion, though, thanks to a number of posting limits at both GameFAQs and GameSpot, (they're the same boards; the same threads appear on both, and you register for both simultaneously) as well as some other annoyances, led me to eventually stop posting there. Most other people wouldn't find similar reasons to me, though. I keep telling myself I'm going to go back and post there one day, and perhaps that might happen.

Oblivion Games Video Games