LA Noire PC optimization?

TrantaLocked

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
Does any one know about the power needed by the new engine and what kind of optimization R* is doing for the PC? I still have my E8400 and would be delighted if LA Noire runs as well as GTA IV does, around 30FPS on medium-high settings. I hope this time around R* will have a better feel and understanding on porting the engine, or this may be another disaster for gamers who "think" they have powerful rigs.

As from what I saw on wikipedia (sorry) the engine is stated as in-house with new facial expressions plus Havok. It looks like R* dropped RAGE altogether and is using a Euphoria-Havok hybrid for LA Noire judging by how people walk and speak in the game. It moves similar to GTA IV with better facial expressions and slightly better dynamic movements. So maybe the question would be how does RAGE compare to Havok in PC performance?

gfx wise lets hope its better, but as far as cpu it will need a tripple core minimum to get the best from it, just like gta. reason? because the xbox360 has a tri core so its already optomized for an ibm tri-core it takes less effort to port it back to pc.
if we are real lucky they may just try and give us the pre-ported version and render that engine into a game rather than using the 360's as a baseline.

TrantaLocked

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
GTA IV didn't need that powerful of a GPU, it just needed a lot of graphics memory. Also, the 360 is based on a PowerPC CPU so even though it's tri-core the instructions are extremely hard to port to PC. It's not exactly optimized at all other than the tri-core part.

Since they are releasing the PC version a few months later like they did with GTA IV I am guessing R* is working on porting from the Xbox 360 code as we speak. The game was originally made for PowerPC as a baseline as GTA IV was unfortunately, unless some one could prove me otherwise.