Asus A7V SCSI slow!

TauTau

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
Hi,

just installed a Asus A7V with Duron 800, and there are several questions/problems:
I have an Adaptec 2940UW, which serves the C: and D: disk as well as a CDROM and a CDRW drive.
On the ATA100 Primary Master there is one IDE Disk. There's also a Network controller, graphics is a Elsa Erazor III (which doesn't work correct yet, seems it gets no interupt).
When booting the PC (and also later) there are huge delays, i.e. nothing happens for ~5-10 mins. For example, after the logon, some icons are drawn on the desktop, the rest needs 5-10 mins. The PC seems to be frozen in these delays.
To me it looks like the access to the SCSI (C:) disk is blocked somehow.
Does anyone have an idea what that could be? I suspect, that it happened after the installation of the 4in1 drivers.

Other question: I did the voltage modification on the board to get higher core voltage for overclocking. The DIP switch has already been on the board.
When I set voltage to Auto, I get 1,99V which seems a bit high to me. When I select any other voltage, it seems like I can only get 2,05V no matter what setting I use. Since I only had a 22K resistor at hand, I used that one, expecting that the voltages would differ from the description on this site, but not that I only get ONE fixed voltage. Could the wrong resistor be the problem?
And: I've set the multiplier for the CPU to 10, should give me 1GHz CPU speed, but on boot it still says 800MHz. I connected the L1 pins on the Duron with a pencil, is that gone through heat? Or do I have to set anything else in the BIOS? Do I need to use jumperless mode?

Questions over questions, hope someone can help me here ;)

TauTau

TauTau

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
I found that the problem of disk access disappears when i connect the IDE disk to the "standard" controller port. Though , still the graphics card behaves strange (I just get 16 bit colour, max 1024 resolution while possible should be 1600 at 32 bit). Weird all that is.

G

I have the same mother board and the same problem, only I have two SCSI cards. I don't have as long of a delay at 30-60 seconds max when the PCI bus seems to lock up due to some kind of bus contention. Windows 98SE does not lcok up though so I know its a hardware response problem. I also had the same problem with a Gigabyte 7ZXR-266 RAID board I tried. Both of these boards have the VIA KT133A chipset in common. I also get noise on my SB-Live card when playing WAV or MIDI files with large sound fonts installed on either M/B. I smell a rat here with VIA.

I am still analyzing the problem. I have the 4 in 1 v4.32 drivers installed. Does any one else have this problem?