Sign in with
Your question
Closed

The network key you entered is not valid

Last response: in Windows 7
September 26, 2010 5:43:26 PM

Hello,
I tried to set up a wireless access to the internet with WEP. When I entered the Security Key that a hotel provided 234JWF, for example, I got the error "network key you entered is not valid". If I entered only the first 5 "234JW" then the system took it with an error message. When I unhide the keu, it shows the 10digit HEX for the 5 charaters. How come I could not enter the key that provided by the HOTEL? Also, the hotel told me there is no differences between upper/lower case, yet the Hex converted keys showed that the upper/lower case made the difference. Any idea? Thanks for the help.
September 26, 2010 6:45:35 PM

Why don't you ask one of the Hotel employees to type it in for you? Maybe they will notice there is a problem on the hotel's end and they will go fix it for you.
Score
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
September 27, 2010 6:19:50 AM

wuemail said:
Hello,
I tried to set up a wireless access to the internet with WEP. When I entered the Security Key that a hotel provided 234JWF, for example, I got the error "network key you entered is not valid". If I entered only the first 5 "234JW" then the system took it with an error message. When I unhide the keu, it shows the 10digit HEX for the 5 charaters. How come I could not enter the key that provided by the HOTEL? Also, the hotel told me there is no differences between upper/lower case, yet the Hex converted keys showed that the upper/lower case made the difference. Any idea? Thanks for the help.

[#0005ff]You may need to change your settings from WEP to Open and although that looks as though you are going in unsecured, inputting the key should get you in. Make sure you untick "This key is provided to you automatically" first.[/#000ff]
Score
Related resources
September 27, 2010 3:11:09 PM

wuemail said:
Hello,

Are you sure the key they gave you is WEP?

A) Most hotels and other "public hotspots" don't have encryption at all and any "key" they gave is often a once online the first web page you try to go to is redirected to the page where you sign up for temporary service or agree to their terms, etc... That "key" they gave you may just be to get you past the registration page without having to pay money.

B) a 5 character code is valid for WPA, but not for WEP.

C) the only place I've seen where you could use any type of code that is not the specific length WEP demands is when using specific brands of router/wireless card combos where you could use a "seed key" to generate the WEP code (like Linksys has this).
Score
May 15, 2013 10:37:28 PM

I have the same problem, but when I set the security to WEP it says network key you entered is not valid.

If I change it to WPA, I got another error.
Score
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
May 15, 2013 11:08:18 PM

Same problem - same hotel? Are you having this problem at home? If so, here's a link to our Sticky Post on this issue. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/38111-18-find-chang...

If the problem can't be solved from that, please start a new thread in the Wireless Networking sub-Forum - this old one is closing.
Score
!