Need AMD/DDR MB for HD Recording

G

Please, I'm desperate!

I need to build a computer for use with a SeaSound Solo EX.

The _very day_ I brought it home a couple of weeks ago, SeaSound formally went out of business, so I have no support or warrantee. I need to get a suitable computer up and check this thing out within 30 days to see if it's OK, otherwise I cannot return it to the retailer that sold it to me. I need to have a MB that is compatible with this device so there are no problems unrelated to the SeaSound hardware.

I will be using an AMD 1.2G/266 CPU with DDR memory.

MBs of this description with ALi chipsets have apparently shown gross problems with some recording hardware. I cannot afford to have this happen.

I have been advised to only use MBs with AMD 761 chipsets, but I do not know if this advice is informed or not.

I have considered the FIC AD11 as well as the current ASUS.

Can anyone tell me _for sure_ what to expect of the various AMD/DDR MBs and which one will be trouble-free in my situation of running a dedicated computer with the SeaSound?

No hardware review site I have seen even seems to know HD recording even exists, so their articles never address this frequently problematic application.

Thanks for any help, and I really mean it.

I would call or e-mail Fic or any other mb maker you are interested in. I have no experience with your recording device; my own motherboard is an Fic AD11 with Athlon 1.2 overclocked to 1.33. Very stable with the AMD 761 chipset. Be sure to be very detailed with soundcard, videocard, and other information when you call or e-mail. FIC phone number is (510) 252-7777. Abit phone number is (510) 623-0500. Asus phone number is (510) 739-3777. I found my Fic Ad11 for only $105 at GPS Computer Services. You may locate them using the Google search engine. If you have not bought your new computer yet, consider a generic pentium 4 system. The intel 850 chipset may be more stable than the AMD 761. You can find generic systems at Pricewatch under Pc Windows.

G

# I would call or e-mail Fic or any other mb maker you are
# interested in. I have no experience with your recording
# device

I would be even more surprised if they had, either. Obviously SeaSound would be the people to ask, but Tom Oberheim and his company have flown the coop.

Do you use other pro-level HD-recording hardware?

# If you have not bought your new computer yet, consider a
# generic pentium 4 system. The intel...

I used to work for Intel; none of their products will ever enter my house. Never. It's obviously a personal thing here. :cool: Like most former Intel employees, I bear a bitter grudge. Anyhow, SeaSound recommended AMD.

HD recording systems are an entirely different kettle of fish from other uses, so what may be great otherwise for gaming, etc. may not work at all with this hardware.

G

Isn't the Gigabyte ga-7dxr an AMD-761? I'm looking to build a computer for music recording. So you say I should stay away from the ALi chipsets?

G

I have read on HomeRecording.Com that people with various recording devices - the Digisound 001 for one - claim insuperable problems with the ALi Magik chipset.

I do not know if this chipset is the true cause of the problem or if it's something else that looks like a chipset problem. I only know what a few people have mentioned in passing.

Given that and the difficulties of getting such a setup running bug-free, I don't need that additional grief.

I'm figuring the AMD 761 chip in the ASUS A7M266, Epox EP-8K7A or the FIC AD11, in approximately that order.

No doubt there's something wrong with all of these too, but I haven't heard about it yet.