G

I need help I have asus a7a w/1.2 athlon bios version 1002B which I want to update but my friend said if I did it wrong I will mess up the board, but anyway my problem is every time my power goes out or I get a surge or I shut the power off with the flip switch on back of the case my bios goes back to default settings!!! If anybody can help me with this problem it would be greatly appriciated!

Just think when the price comes down and all the bugs are worked out it will be obsolete!

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
If you have frequent power outages and surges in your area, you should definately purchase a UPS (uninterrupted power supply). They should help give you 10-20 minutes of battery life in case of a power outage, which is enough time for you to properly shut down your computer instead of unplugging it or flipping the switch.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
I suggest buying a <i>Tripp Lite</i> or <i>APC</i> brand UPS since their newer model has a feature in which the UPS and computer are connected via USB so that the UPS will automatically shut down Windows properly in case of a power outage.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

G

Thankx for the info but it wasn't on my computer was shutdown. The mobo still had power but I was shutdown.

Just think when the price comes down and all the bugs are worked out it will be obsolete!

G

does this happen when you shut down properly? are you losing BIOS settings at random, or only when the power is cut to the machine without a proper shutdown?

ignore everything i say

G

It only happens when the power is cut to the computer but everytime it's happened it was shutdown. I haven't had the computer on yet when the power went out but I would assume it would happen then too. I was thinking about the battery also but the mobo is brand new and that battery should last a long time from what I understand, I guess it could have been defective maybe I will try replacing that anyway just in case.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have done hundreds of BIOS updates without a problem. If you think BIOS will help, do the update! Asus had problems with BIOS revisions earlier than 1.004

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

TRENDING THREADS