HP ZV5000 laptop + full battery = powers off

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
August 3, 2005 11:32:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I friend has a HP ZV5000 laptop and is having probs with the battery.
She has it fully charged - it says its charged 100%
BUT - if you pull the power connector, with the laptop on + full
battery,
it just shuts itself off -
I've not had a chance to look at it,
as we were using it to do some data transcribing work at the time.
It could be a totally bad battery, but I think she said it was replaced.
It could be some weird power meter setting, but I didn't look.

Any other ideas or suggestions to pursue ?
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
August 3, 2005 11:32:41 PM

Phil Schuman wrote:
> I friend has a HP ZV5000 laptop and is having probs with the battery.
> She has it fully charged - it says its charged 100%
> BUT - if you pull the power connector, with the laptop on + full
> battery,
> it just shuts itself off -
> I've not had a chance to look at it,
> as we were using it to do some data transcribing work at the time.
> It could be a totally bad battery, but I think she said it was
> replaced. It could be some weird power meter setting, but I didn't
> look.
>
> Any other ideas or suggestions to pursue ?

"Fully charged" can represent any state of charge, even zero, depending
on the reporting system. How old is the laptop/battery, and has the
battery been installed since the laptop was new? The simple explanation
is that the battery is in fact dead.

a b α HP
a b D Laptop
August 4, 2005 1:12:12 AM

Phil Schuman <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:
> I friend has a HP ZV5000 laptop and is having probs with the battery.
> She has it fully charged - it says its charged 100%
> BUT - if you pull the power connector, with the laptop on + full
> battery,
> it just shuts itself off -
> I've not had a chance to look at it,
> as we were using it to do some data transcribing work at the time.
> It could be a totally bad battery, but I think she said it was replaced.
> It could be some weird power meter setting, but I didn't look.
>
> Any other ideas or suggestions to pursue ?

I had this exact same scenario on my laptop and the battery was indeed
defective. It showed the same problem in an other laptop of the same
type and after replacing the battery my laptop again worked fine.
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
August 7, 2005 8:32:43 AM

Phil Schuman wrote:
> I friend has a HP ZV5000 laptop and is having probs with the battery.
> She has it fully charged - it says its charged 100%
> BUT - if you pull the power connector, with the laptop on + full
> battery,
> it just shuts itself off -
> I've not had a chance to look at it,
> as we were using it to do some data transcribing work at the time.
> It could be a totally bad battery, but I think she said it was replaced.
> It could be some weird power meter setting, but I didn't look.
>
> Any other ideas or suggestions to pursue ?
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
August 18, 2005 2:32:01 AM

ZV series Joins the list of bad power jacks ans supply line issues,
This is probably your issue..Were getting 5-10 per week now and the
shipments will grow exponentially over the course of the next few
months.
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
August 18, 2005 1:25:31 PM

ikenfixit <ken@ikenfixit-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote:
> ZV series Joins the list of bad power jacks ans supply line issues,
> This is probably your issue..Were getting 5-10 per week now and the
> shipments will grow exponentially over the course of the next few
> months.

"This is probably your issue."? Rather unlikely. See my response.
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
August 31, 2005 8:50:08 PM

"Frank Slootweg" <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote in message
> Phil Schuman <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:
> > I friend has a HP ZV5000 laptop and is having probs with the battery.
> > She has it fully charged - it says its charged 100%
> > BUT - if you pull the power connector, with the laptop on + full
> > battery,
> > it just shuts itself off -
> > I've not had a chance to look at it,
> > as we were using it to do some data transcribing work at the time.
> > It could be a totally bad battery, but I think she said it was replaced.
> > It could be some weird power meter setting, but I didn't look.
> >
> > Any other ideas or suggestions to pursue ?
>
> I had this exact same scenario on my laptop and the battery was indeed
> defective. It showed the same problem in an other laptop of the same
> type and after replacing the battery my laptop again worked fine.

Have the same problem here.
Did you buy a replacement battery from HP or another third party vendor?
Any place you recommend?

Thanks very much
Owner of a non-working zv5000
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
August 31, 2005 11:41:17 PM

T H Lo <Jam@preserve.net> wrote:

> "Frank Slootweg" <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote in message
> > Phil Schuman <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:
> > > I friend has a HP ZV5000 laptop and is having probs with the battery.
> > > She has it fully charged - it says its charged 100%
> > > BUT - if you pull the power connector, with the laptop on + full
> > > battery,
> > > it just shuts itself off -
> > > I've not had a chance to look at it,
> > > as we were using it to do some data transcribing work at the time.
> > > It could be a totally bad battery, but I think she said it was replaced.
> > > It could be some weird power meter setting, but I didn't look.
> > >
> > > Any other ideas or suggestions to pursue ?
> >
> > I had this exact same scenario on my laptop and the battery was indeed
> > defective. It showed the same problem in an other laptop of the same
> > type and after replacing the battery my laptop again worked fine.
>
> Have the same problem here.
> Did you buy a replacement battery from HP or another third party vendor?

I got a replacement battery from HP. Probably the fact that I worked
for them for 35 years had something to do with that! :-)

> Any place you recommend?

Just Google the *product* 'number' [1] of the battery and see where
that leads you. For me it gave several places to chose from.

[1] Probably letter-four_digits-letter, in my case F2019B.
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
August 31, 2005 11:47:32 PM

> T H Lo <Jam@preserve.net> wrote:
> >
> > "Frank Slootweg" <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote in message

> > > I had this exact same scenario on my laptop and the battery was
indeed
> > > defective. It showed the same problem in an other laptop of the same
> > > type and after replacing the battery my laptop again worked fine.
> >
> > Have the same problem here.
> > Did you buy a replacement battery from HP or another third party vendor?
>
> I got a replacement battery from HP. Probably the fact that I worked
> for them for 35 years had something to do with that! :-)
>
> > Any place you recommend?
>
> Just Google the *product* 'number' [1] of the battery and see where
> that leads you. For me it gave several places to chose from.
>
> [1] Probably letter-four_digits-letter, in my case F2019B.

Ok thanks vm
!