Comp Locks up in games! Help!

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2001 6:42:31 AM

Hello,

I have recently built a new computer, and to my horror, it enjoys locking up solid while I play games. It randomly does this, 95% of the time while I'm in a game (any game), and the sound loops forever, making it infinitely more annoying. Here is my rig:

1.33ghz AMD Athlon t-bird
Asus A7A266 motherboard
300watt athlon approved power supply
bigass delta cpu fan and alpha heatsink
512mb ddr ram (crucial)
40GB maxtor harddrive 7200 rpm
27GB harddrive 7200 rpm
MSI Starforce 815 Pro (Geforce 2 Pro, 64mb ddr)
Kingston KNE110TX ethernet card
SB Live! value
50xcdrom, 12x cd burner, floppy
razer boomslang mouse
dell quiet-key keyboard

I've updated every driver I can think of, my case has 3 fans plus a HUGE cpu fan. My cpu temperature is always from 50 degrees celsius to 55 degrees celsius. I really have tried almost everything, just updated bios, ive tried screwing around with the AGP settings, ive tried switching to my old video card (geforce 256 with perfect history) and the comp STILL freezes.

I also have taken out EVERYTHING but my video card, motherboard, memory, and harddrive, and it still freezes. So I'm thinking about ordering a new motherboard (NOT asus!), like a FIC AD11 or something, and putting all my hardware on it to see if I still lock up in games. You all think this is a good idea?

Any help would be much appreciated! (before my head explodes)

More about : comp locks games

July 15, 2001 7:16:03 AM

hmmms. thermal pad still on that monster heatsink? i would remove it.
sounds a little warm for such a powerful HS/fan combo.
my load temp dropped 10C when i did that to my winfop32-1.

do u know if that mobo has Via 4in1 drivers?
if so you might need to install them.

also check your voltages on something like motherboard monitor (MBM)

interesting that it locks up most of the time in games...
have u tried running something like seti@home to push your processor?
cauz i would be inclined to think that something with your directx/detonator/soundcard is stuffing up.
try the latest drivers.
12.41 detonators are official
directx8.1 is around (that fixed a few bugs for me when i upgraded from 8.0)
latest sb drivers

tell me if you have any luck

"i love the smell of Overclocking in the morning!" Says my Hamster.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2001 7:41:06 AM

Quote:
hmmms. thermal pad still on that monster heatsink? i would remove it.

I dont think it had one (excuse my ignorance, i dont know much about heatsinks/fans) it was copper on the bottom of the heatsink. I did apply the thermal paste that came with it, although I think I did a crappy job! And the fan is mounted on the *side* of the heatsink and it like sucks out the air hehehe. Ever since I updated my bios the temperature reading has seemed higher, but in the asus FAQ it says this is normal and the reading is more accurate now...

Quote:
do u know if that mobo has Via 4in1 drivers?

No, it is an ALi magik chipset, not Via.

Quote:
also check your voltages on something like motherboard monitor (MBM)

I have a program that came with the motherboard called Probe, and it shows the voltages are all fine.

Quote:
have u tried running something like seti@home to push your processor?
cauz i would be inclined to think that something with your directx/detonator/soundcard is stuffing up.
try the latest drivers.
12.41 detonators are official
directx8.1 is around (that fixed a few bugs for me when i upgraded from 8.0)
latest sb drivers

Well man I thought the same thing, I have uninstalled direct x 8, and installed 7.0a, then reinstalled 8.0a again, locked up in all versions! I've tried virtually ALL of the detonator drivers available! Locks up with all of them. Ive taken out my soundcard completely and it still locks up!

Do you think I should try purchasing some PC133 SDRAM and using that instead of my DDR? The A7A266 supports both types. I've read elsewhere of people like me having the same problems with the same setup, and their system works with PC133 ram. Sucks, I bought this board cause of the DDR! I'm also still considering getting a FIC AD11 motherboard and taking a hammer to this A7A.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2001 7:57:26 AM

Also, in regards to the semi-high cpu temperatures, I've had my case open at all times, and to make sure it *wasn't* a overheating issue I put a big room fan right next to the open case on high, I let the cpu cool off to like 47 degrees celsius, fired up quake 3, and it immediately froze when I started playing! It isnt always immediate though, sometimes it takes 30 minutes, othertimes 30 seconds.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2001 10:38:37 AM

well i found out what the problem was. It was the DDR Ram. The RAM itself isnt bad, but the motherboard doesnt work properly when i used it. I put in some PC133 from my other computer and it runs fine now......weird....a DDR-supporting motherboard doesnt run with DDR ram.