What should i buy xbox 360 or ps3

ddtemplar

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Neither console is better than the other, so this is a difficult question to answer without knowing a little bit more about your personal tastes. Probably the best thing you can do is make a list of the games you are interested in (regardless of console) and chose the console that will best satisfy that list.

Personally, I prefer the PlayStation3 simply because in my opinion it has a stronger line of exclusive games. I have considered purchasing an xbox360 a couple times, but was unable to find enough games exclusive to that system that would make it worth a purchase. Multiplatform games I can either purchase on the PS3 or the PC.

What type of games do you like? I have heard that xbox360 is a strong platform for multiplayer FPS games due to xbox live, but I also know people who find the PS3 just as capable.

stephen-mc

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
Both the same really ps3 has blu-ray and a ton of exclusives(however only like 3 are good) and dodgy online.xbox has little exclusives but all are great games and great online but of course with the infamous £5 a month.

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Xbox 360 has high failure rates (2 of my friends are already on their 2-3rd XBox), you also need to pay to go online and its accessories like HDs can be a rip off.

PS3 performs badly in most multiplat games, it has frame rate issues and games tend to look blurry. This is due to PS3s poor design.

Overall both of them are trying to be PCs, but arent quite there.

The only real console this gen is the Wii.

Micropat

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
From what I know the high failure rates of the 360s are not an issue on new consoles today. Consoles get redesigned and slightly updated versions are released. The new 360s are much more reliable than the launch models from years ago.

In terms of graphics, PS3 and 360 are similar. In most games, you'd be splitting hairs to tell them apart. Although in some games there can be more significant differences. So it is mostly just a matter of what system has the most games that you think you would like and whether or not if the ability for your console to play Blu-Ray discs matters to you.

SHIELDHEAD

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
Look most of the people who commented dont own a real xbox and just are out to troll either consoles or xboxs. i myself own the new xbox 360 slim and runs very cool its quiet and doesnt break like the old models. Just face facts, the xbox is the way of the future its connecting so many online services to it such as TV, Movies, and many more! The PS3 is just behind and i doubt there will be another PS after the 4th. Sure the PS3 has a blu-ray... do i care, you bought the console to play it not watch movies all the time. besides xbox has netflix that streams movie in HD...

I wouldnt have come to this conclusion a year ago, but with the PS Network failure in May and June and Microsoft making a quality console that doesnt break, the winner is defiantly the xbox. (im not a fanboy as im an avid pc gamer, i just face the facts)

***BTW the graphics are the exact same on both consoles, ive played my friends ps3 many times to confirm this.

SHIELDHEAD

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009

However pcs cost tons to upgrade and keep up to date... so it favors the xbox IMO

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
You dont need to keep upgradeing a PC to keep up with an Xbox. its not like the Xbox magically gets more powerful everyear. 8800GTX from 4 years back out does a Xbox 360.

No reason it wont do the same even today. 95% of the Xbox 360games are either 720p or sub hd. 8800GTX even today will play most games in 1080p..

Now if you want to be gaming on multiple screens and want to play at some insane resolutions then yea u will need to upgrade your PC.

However again due to much much cheaper games on PC. PC stands to be the most economic gaming machine out there. This summer alone i bought about 6 games from steam all of them were AAA games and only 2-3 months old. They cost me about 100usd in total. Doing the same on console would have cost atleast 300usd. So there goes the console being cheaper arguement. Sorry But Steam and D2D have burried the console cheaper argument its actually the other way around now.

Captainhero

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Agree with Kasifme on this. Spend £800 on a pc. You need a big HD tv for consoles, again putting the TCO up, at this price point it should comfortably play games for a good few years. Games are a lot cheaper or free (world of tanks / need for speed world). AAA titles such as BF3 etc also play and look a hell of a lot better on pc. It does help to be fairly comfortable using and configuring computers though. Its not a given but also the community tends to be a tad more mature, (as with every community though you still get d1ckheads) not so many 14 year olds smack talking their way through games just after they have unwrapped their latest present from mum and dad. If I had to choose a console tho it would probably be the PS3 as it is shiny and I like shiny things.

The PS3 also has services such as music and videos. It even does netflix, plus it can do 3D blue ray and 3D games. The PS3 can also stream music and videos from your PC - not sure if the xbox can do that.

As to the statement in bold, if movies don't matter than why did you mention them as services on the xbox?

new003

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
I had a ps3 but for some reason i traded it for an xbox 360 i regret this as ps3 had metal gear solid 4+blue ray which i miss now.
I dont know if this is just me but I've found my xbox 360 to play movies that are in the least bit scratched (not deeply scratched) to not play the movies great after it warms up (2 hours) My ps3 seemed to play these movies that had a few minor scratches better overall.
Idk if the same can be said for games. Just take care of em no cinder block scratching :)

tph15

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

my friend had and xbox 360 elite for 3 years until it died on him. he bought a brand new xbox 360 slim and within 6 months it died as well. the new xboxes still have the reliability issues

random_101

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Having owned both consoles I prefer PS3 (my 360 RLOD 3 times).

As someone mentioned in a previous post you need to figure out what type of games you prefer to play, if it's First Person Shooters like the Call of Duty series than you may want to get a 360. Reason I say this is because most FPS games are designed for the 360 and are just simply ported over to the other consoles or in the Wii's case stripped down.

Believe it or not (and I'm sure someone out there will be happy to correct me here) the PS3 is a more powerful machine, exclusive games such as God of War III and the Uncharted series look much better than some of the exclusives on the 360 due to the guts of the PS3, you can google it to see the differences.

I also saw someone post up "who cares about Blu-Ray" I want to add that not only is Blu-Ray far superior over the other disc medias for movies currently available but also can hold a tonne more data than Xbox discs uses (dvd/hddvd can't remember) therefore reducing the need to swap discs when playing RPG's or sandbox games like Grand Theft Auto.

You can also buy a PSP/Vita and transfer any purchases from the PSN Store and play on the go without having to pay again.

At the end of the day whichever way you go you will have a solid console that have plenty of games to cater your gaming needs. :D

hjk

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
if u have bought then there is no use of posting this but if u havent then my personal experience has been with both ps3 and xbox360 and even wii . now wii is a piece of *** dont even think about of buying it and xbox its good its excellent now ps3 its also excellent both are really very good but xbox does not have good resolution games but ps3 has almost every game 1080p but xbox 720p hardly 1080p and these consoles basically depend upon resolution of screens so i am wrong at some place plzz correct me

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Im no fanboy I have both. :non:

Go for an XBOX 360 slim. Its quiet and does not break down any were near as much as the first generation of xboxs did, infact hardware faults are very rare on the 360 slim, no more common then the PS3. The 360 looks better, it has touch bottons and a nice glossy black case, were as the PS3 has changed to looking cheap with a cheap matt looking case and regular buttons. The 360 has better online (xbox live is not expensive £30 a year is nothing).

Both have exclusive titles (this comes down to personal preference, personally I prefer Xbox exclusives)

The Xbox controller is much better then the PS3 controller in my opinion, the PS3 controller is too small, too light/flimsy and the triggers suck.

On the other hand if you don't already have a blu ray player a PS3 could be tempting.

Oh and you dont get hacked on the xbox like you do on the playstation. :lol: