Issues with IDE configuration on A7V

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know I've been posting a lot, but want this system I'm setting up (for someone else) to be perfect.

One last question: Right now I have:

40.0 Gb IBM as MASTER on ATA100
Asus 50x CD-rom as MASTER on Secondary ATA66
Plextor 16/10/40A as SLAVE on Secondary ATA66

Now, I know this is a pretty retarded (not very optimal) config. But I want to know if anyone has had any trouble setting up all 3 devices on their own channels. I was going to wait to use Plextor's CD Res-Q to backup everything before I move the Plextor to the Primary ATA66 (MASTER) and Cdrom on Secondary (MASTER).

Any recommendations? Should I do this? Or should I put one of the Cd drives on the Secondary ATA100?

One last thing: Is there anyway that I can set it up so that BOTH cdrom and cd/rw can play music? The soundBlaster card only has 1 port for Cd-IN. But what about AUX-in?

BTW, I couldn't put the CD-rom as SLAVE to the Hd because the cable wouldn't freakn' reach! :( (even bought a longer one...no luck)

Thanks again!

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.

G

-----------------------------------------------------------
But I want to know if anyone has had any trouble setting up all 3 devices on their own channels.
Sure, they'll work just fine. Set both CD drives as master with one on each IDE channel. I have a computer set up exactly like this (ATA100 HD on ATA primary, 50x CD on IDE primary, CDRW on IDE secondary) and have never had a problem. Can never go wrong backing up data.

BTW, I couldn't put the CD-rom as SLAVE to the Hd because the cable wouldn't freakn' reach! :( (even bought a longer one...no luck)
----------------------------------------------------------
This you shouldn't do. It will work but I believe it will slow down the HD since this channel will default to the slowest device (ie: the CD which most likely isn't ATA100).

Even the simplest things can be impossible...

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks. I guess I'll get that CD Res-Q then give it a try. Each device as MASTER on its own channel.

BTW, the only problem I have with her system is that sometimes I still get errors. It seems to be most common after playing Rogue Spear or Roger Wilco. I've received a FATAL EXCEPTION and an "Explorer caused Invalid Page Fault in GDI32.dll". Usually I get this last message.

Any clues? Is this something I can fix (doubt it) or is it another freakn' Microsoft vs. hardware problem...?

Thanks

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.