KT7A-Raid issues

G

I am attempting to build a system with an Abit KT7A-Raid board within the next week. Could someone brief me on the key issues I may encounter and direct me to helpful sites that may ease this task?

shuke

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
1. Clear CMOS.
2. Connect the HSF lead to FAN#1 and not FAN#2. The system will halt if it detect no fan at FAN#1 (this is true only for last few BIOSes...think the last two).

G

See: Paul's Unofficial ABIT KT7 FAQ
http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/kt7faq.htm

KT7 and KT7a are almost the same.

The only problem i had was that i had to remove the PCI card out of slot 5 because it couldn't share an irq with the RAID controller. After i moved the card to pci slot 6 everything worked ok.

It took me a while to figure it out, but thanks to paul's faq it all worked out.

Also, when you restart windows a few times, SOME problems seem to be solved by them selves.. (?)

G

Well you really shouldn't talk to me about the KT7A-RAID board... I finally gave up on mine, after spending 45 days of agonizing lockups, freezes, quirks, more lockups, strange behavior, bad 3DMark scores, etc.... and I nearly memorized Paul's FAQ, it was awesome, but unfortunately nothing short of a miracle could save the damn thing. (I had a T-bird 1333 CPU in it with 256 meg CAS-2 Mushkin RAM)

I _finally_ got a near-stable system, the only things that I couldn't get to work were MPEGs (any media player I tried would hard lock the system after a few seconds) and Black & White locked up hard 5 seconds into the first splash screen. Those two things were deal breakers for me, I'm afraid, and I finally gave it up and went with an MSI 815EPPro/Pentium III 1000Mhz. I LOVE IT. It is like Christmas all over again. Not one lockup since I installed. I'm sorry to say that I will have to avoid AMD forever now, I gave them a big shot and it didn't pay off.

Anyone want to buy a slightly used KT7A-RAID w/ T-bird 1333 CPU? It's yours for $250. :)

-----------------00------------------

FatBurger

Illustrious
I have a friend who might be interested, actually. I'll have him get in touch with you.

Anyhow...
I have a KT7a-RAID, no problems. I know a guy who has a KT7, no problems. We both love them.

Can't think of anything else, except if you're going to install Windows 2000 on the RAID, remember to hit F6 at the beginning and install the drivers. You'll need to copy the files off the CD onto a disk beforehand. The path is pretty obvious. Just go onto the CD, find the Highpoint370 drivers directory, and copy the files in the root directory and the files in the OS directory (W2k, I think it's called), onto a floppy, and you're ready to go.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

FLINTSTONE

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
If you want to avoid a lot of potential headaches, don't get a SBLive card. Any of them!!! Get a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. I had nothing but problems with the SBLive cards and my KT7A-Raid. The creative drivers and the HPT drivers don't get along and the SBLive always wants the same irq as the HPT controller. Save some headaches... I hear the Phillips cards work ok also.
Good Luck

so thats why raid didn't work! well i just got a Promise ATA100 controller non-raid because i don't use raid. works great! if you get raid get one that has a Promise RAID controller!!! i have had zero problems with my ata100 controller card! and yes i have a sound blaster live and I hope to get the LIVE! Drive IR with remote! :)

My sig is better then your's!

ChrisLudwig

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
IDE RAID sucks.
I had problems with the ABIT KT7-RAID and with the Promise ATA RAID.
I ended up with a Promise ATA100 IDE controller instead.

Two tips for you though:

1. Remember the 18” cable length restriction. ATA100 drives may work on longer cables, but ATA RAID has problems.

2. Remember to hit F8 and load the RAID drivers during setup (on Win2k)

- I got a board too: http://www.impactsites2000.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi