Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Why is CoD World at War so slow?

Last response: in Video Games
August 8, 2011 6:14:10 AM

Hey everyone,

right at the outset let me say, I know my PC isn't the fastest thing going around, but most of the time it gets me by.

So I've played Modern Warfare & Modern Warfare 2 with no problems on my PC, but I recently got World at War, and it's slow & laggy even on low settings, whereas I play Mo

Why would Modern Warfare 2 run fine and World at War run slow?

Here's my PC specs:

Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz processor
4GB DDR2 RAM
GeForce 8400 GS 256MB video card
Windows 7 64 bit

Thanks in advance,

Nick

More about : cod world war slow

August 8, 2011 7:11:09 AM

you would benefit greatly from a video card upgrade, as your current one is holding you back greatly.

As to why MW2 runs better than WAW... who knows? Maybe WAW minimum settings are somehow more demanding than MW2 minimum settings.
Score
August 9, 2011 4:16:53 AM

yep your gpu is the problem. look at a 98gt or gts 250 as a minimum upgrade.
it will bump your fps up to 90 on medium to high settings.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

August 9, 2011 10:51:15 AM

even the 9800GT or GTS 250 are very old. I think he should go for something newer. His dual core CPU is very good it can easily be overclocked to 4ghz with a good heat sink.

Can you give us a budget for the GPU so we can recommend one for your system. I would personally get a 6850 for that system it would cost you about 120usd Max. Add in a heat sink and overclock that CPU and you are set for afew years.

Do tell us what sort of PSU your system has.

Edit: Most games these days dont use more then a dual core CPU anyways hence that CPU running around 4ghz would be very good.
August 15, 2011 5:13:02 AM

Thanks for all the replies, I'm glad you're all suggesting a new graphics card, because I was thinking that was the biggest problem.

My PC is small for factor, so the graphics card needs to be low profile. From what I've heard I should be looking at a HD x5xx as a minimum.

I don't have heaps of money (4 month old baby!) to throw around, so would have to be under $100.

My PSU is crap, something like 250 watts. I was wondering, can you have your PSU sitting on top of your case, instead of in it? (since my PC is small form factor). I have a couple of PSUs sitting around, but they are full sized.

Thanks,

Nick
Score
August 15, 2011 5:14:23 AM

Thanks for all the replies, I'm glad you're all suggesting a new graphics card, because I was thinking that was the biggest problem.

My PC is small for factor, so the graphics card needs to be low profile. From what I've heard I should be looking at a HD x5xx as a minimum.

I don't have heaps of money (4 month old baby!) to throw around, so would have to be under $100.

My PSU is crap, something like 250 watts. I was wondering, can you have your PSU sitting on top of your case, instead of in it? (since my PC is small form factor). I have a couple of PSUs sitting around, but they are full sized.

Thanks,

Nick
Score
August 15, 2011 5:17:51 AM

Thanks,

Nick
Score
August 15, 2011 9:39:49 AM

I would recommend you save up a bit and build it properly. Having a PSu hanging around outside isnt safe at all, also you will need a larger casing for a proper GPU.

I would say you need to spend about 200usd to get this rig in shape.

First get a Casing: if you look around you can get one for 20-30usd

PSU: you can get one like this 40usd:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now all you need is a GPU: 6850 will cost you about 140usd after rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Your total expenditure will be around 200usd. This will become a decent setup, later on you could add a heatsink into the mix and overclock that cpu for even more performance.
Score
August 20, 2011 11:15:47 PM

Best answer selected by skinninmckinnon.
Score
August 21, 2011 4:34:35 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!