G

My system is:

Cpu: 1200mhz athlon t-bird c-type
Motherboard: asus a7v133 bios rev 1004
Soundcard: soundblaster live
Vid Card: creative geforce2 gts 32MB
Hard drive: Ibm deskstar 40g
Memory: cas2 256mb pc133 sdram

I gathered all the parts for my computer around 3 weeks ago and haven't had any problems until recently when installed my sound card. Since then no amounts of formating and reinstalling win98 have done much good. I get a wide variety of blue screen errors, and windows protection errors. Each day i seem to get a different type of windows error.Just an hour ago my comp froze so i rebooted to find some more blue screen errors. At the moment when i load up windows and try to run a game I get a vcache(01) error. So i checked in my asus probe utility and it was using 100% physical ram to run the game. Rebooting doesn't help the problem. Also when my comp crashes a windows protection error comes up followed by another error in the next reboot stating my himem.sys.

When i run scandisk in win98 and look at the boxes there are no bad clusters but there are a whole bunch of boxes that represent data that cannot be moved I have never had that on any of my other computers and have no idea if that is good or bad. When i try and defrag my system a white box comes up that gives the option of ignoring or canceling the defrag, when i hit ignore to continue with defragging it keeps coming up, making defragging impossible.

I downloaded the diagnostic program amidiag from tweakfiles and ran must of the tests and received mulitiple errors on the extended memory read test, and also a checksum mismatch on the acpi test. I am not sure if it is just bad memory or maybe motherboard problems causing all these problems. Any help is very much appreciated.

evil_homer

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Well you did say that your computer was running fine until you put the sound card in right? You might consider taking it out. But thats just a thought.
But I think that your problem is in your memory, I too have an A7A and cas2 memory causes my computer to behave in a similar fashion, I fixed that problem by upgrading to a different quality of memory, and now it runs like a dream. And if that dosen't seem to work try a low level format, but thats just a thought.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Like the previous poster said, have you removed the soundcard to see if it becomes stable again? If so, you might want to try moving the location of your sound card to a different PCI slot.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
For your scandisk/defrag problem, make sure you dont do this on a partition that is larger than 32G, it won't work!

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

G

I had a similar problem once with the Soundblaster Live card on an ASUS CUSL2 board. I solved it by setting interrupt 5 in the PCI BIOS configuration to USED BY ISA. It seems that the Soundblaster driver uses this interrupt for its DOS Emulation part.
Hope this helps.

G

I'm surprised no-ones mentioned this already, but maybe you've done this: But since it is an A7V (VIA) board and a soundblaster Live, have you installed the VIA 4 in 1 drivers yet?

Topher Bear

Don't wait for tomorrow! Live for Today! :)