Hope you guys can help me.

G

Hello, new to the boards.

So, I just got my 1.4Ghz T-Bird, and my Biostar M7MIA MoBo.

The problem is this board does not seem to want to share IRQ's what so ever. My Sound Blaster 5.1 and my GeForce 2 both want IRQ 11, and I lock up in windows ME and 98 whenever I put them both in at the same time. Anybody know a way that I can either have them share, or reassign the IRQ's? Tried changing slots, tried changing the setting in the Device Manager. Says I can not modify that resource. I've been banging my head with this for 16 hours now.

Please help if you can

lordmeatball

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Install the Soundblaster first. It should use IRQ 5. It may also use another IRQ for SoundBlaster16 emulator. You can disable this if you aren't going to use sound in DOS. That may free up an IRQ for you GeForce.

G

I wish I could but I can't. I'm about ready to throw this MoBo out the window. MY M7MKA from Biostar didn't give me these problems. Don't think I'll be buying another Biostar board after this.

G

Small problem with that. I can't install teh Sound Blaster first, because with the GeForce installed, there would be no video. IRQ 5 right now is only taken by my printer port.

Maybe if I can creative they can help me...

lordmeatball

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Could you list your IRQ's and what is using them? LPT1(printer) should be on IRQ 7. What is using IRQ 7?

Your PC should be set up similiar to this:

IRQ 0: System Timer
IRQ 1: Keyboard
IRQ 2/9: Open
IRQ 3: Com2
IRQ 4: Com1
IRQ 5: Should be open
IRQ 6: Floppy
IRQ 7: LPT1
IRQ 8: Real-Time Clock
IRQ 10: Open
IRQ 11: Open
IRQ 12: Open
IRQ 13: Math Coprocessor
IRQ 14: Primary HD
IRQ 15: Secondary HD

I got this info out of a A+ certification book. I know soundblasters traditionally use IRQ 5. I can't be sure, but I think the video belongs on IRQ11.

G

IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard OK
IRQ 2 Programmable interrupt controller OK
IRQ 6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus OK
IRQ 10 NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro OK
IRQ 10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
IRQ 12 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller OK
IRQ 12 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo) OK
IRQ 15 NETGEAR FA311 Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter OK
IRQ 15 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK

SOme of these got changed from where they're supposed to be by me fiddleing around trying to get this stupid thing to work.

I have NEVER had such a problem with a motherboard. I'm about to take a sledge hammer to teh damn thing.

G

Update

IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard OK
IRQ 2 Programmable interrupt controller OK
IRQ 6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus OK
IRQ 10 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller OK
IRQ 10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
IRQ 11 NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro OK
IRQ 11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo) OK
IRQ 15 NETGEAR FA311 Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter OK
IRQ 15 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK

According to Creative labs, it's going to want IRQ 11.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
You should look in the manual that came with your motherboard. Sometimes the PCI slots share certain IRQs so you need to find out what slots share what IRQs and then switch them around.

lordmeatball

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
It might be more windows setup than problems with your motherboard. Did you do a clean install after replacing the board, or just install the board?

So what's on IRQ7? Why can't you use IRQ7 for your printer port(may have to change in bios), and let soundblaster take 5?

lordmeatball

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
According to Creative labs, it's going to want IRQ 11.

My SBLive was hogging TWO IRQ's, IRQ5 and IRQ10 or 11. Until I disabled SB16 Enumerator, which was just DOS support. Did they say it wanted only 1 IRQ, IRQ11?

G

Yes, it's a clean install of windows.

Here's the crux of my situation. The MoBo is trying to assign things that's can't share an IRQ to the same IRQs causing me to freeze as soon as I hit windows. Sience I can't get into windows, I can't reassign the IRQ's. No option to reassign IRQ's in my bios.

I've even disabled my printer port in an attempt to get this stuff to work. Logicly, you'd think that when something get's installed in windows, if it's default IRQ is taken, and other IRQ's are open, it would go to the open IRQ. But for some damn reason it's just trying to lump everything together.

DO NOT BUY BIOSTAR! I know I won't again.

People keep telling me to get the vie 4-in-1 drvers, as this MoBo uses an AMD Northbridge, and a Via south bridge, but that did not help either.

Anybody think moving to Win2K will help me?

lordmeatball

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
I know it is frustrating. Can you boot into Windows with the sound card physically removed from the system?

You can get into Windows Safe mode and make neccessary changes. You can also disable devices to free up some resources.

Tried changing slots, tried changing the setting in the Device Manager. Says I can not modify that resource.
There should be a check box "Use automatic settings". If you uncheck it you should be able to modify IRQ settings. I wish I was sitting in front of a Win9x machine, because it has been a while since I had to do it.

G

Unfortunatly, when I try to change the IRQ manualy, I'm told I can not modify that resource. When I make the change in safe mode, all it does is make the device not work. I'll try again though.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok. yank out all the cards except the video card. Boot to safe mode and remove all instances of duplicate devices and make sure the sound card and network card are removed.Remove com1 and com 2 as well along with your USB devices. Assuming you have win 98 SE ( you did not say), boot to a command promt ( In ME you need a ME startup floppy to do this) and run scanreg/fix. Restart enter bios. disable com1 and com2 and your usb. Set plug and play to manual, reset config data to enabled. Boot to windows regular mode. Shut down and install sound card in slot three. If all is going well from there, re-install network card reboot and let it configure. Then re-enter bios and enable the USb if you use it, if not leave it disabled. Reboot, and see how things are running. Repeat this step with com1 and com2 if you need them if not leave them disabled.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

Well, after a bit of playing around, I can now insert 2 cards, not just one anymore. Still can't get the darn Sound Blaster Live 5.1 to go in without freezing windows. Via 4-in-1 drivers seem to have let my USB and SCSI card share the same IRQ without freezing the system.

For those who do not know, the M7MIA uses the AMD760 Northbridge, and a VIA southbridge.

I'll keep ya posted if I ever get the darn sound card to install with no problems.

G

Nope. I spoke too soon. Oh well. Maybe I'll call creative again. It's the only thing I can't get to work now.

pek

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2001
When I upgraded my system with my asus a7v133, asus v7700 & sb 5.1 and usr modem, I had all kinds of heartache. I had to pull out all the cards, boot, let win98 see just what I had (also, make sure that the pnp aware os is enabled in the bios, that way the bios and 98 can allococate/share irq's). Then add cards one at a time and make sure that they all behave. My modem wanted to be the second card installed, then my sb 5.1. I found that if you do them one at a time and let win98 find them, they all play well together.

G

Well, I havce tried that, but I think I may try again. I think I'm going to just wash my hands of Windows ME and put windows 2K on this thing. Hurts to do as a gamer, but most things should work fine. If it does not work the first time with Win2K, Biostar is going to have a motherboard returned to them. It is unacceptable for a MoBo to not be able to properly assign it's resources when it boots up.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What driver of SB are you using? I've been using the plain <b><A HREF="http://www.americas.creative.com/support/files/download.asp?Centric=108&OS=4&descID=434" target="_new">SBLive driver</A></b> from Creative that does not cause any problem on my AMD systems.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

I am using the latest creative drivers.

And it's official. This sound blaster locks the system if it's the firts, only, and last installed. Now where's my sledge hammer...

G

Well, it looks like Windows 2000 fixed my problem. It's a fix I hated to do as a gamer, but a working system is better then a non working system. And Windows 2000 should run just peachy with the 1.4Ghz T-Bird with 256MB or DDR ram.

Thank for the help guys, and for people considering the M7MIA, don't do it unless you want to run Win2K

G

All you had to do was install the AGP GART drivers off of the motherboard CD, it could of been so much simpler!