First SiS735 mobo

phiz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2001
Just wanted to let you guys know it looks like chaintech released the 7sid.... http://www.ocworkbench.com/hardware/chaintec/7sid/7sidp1.htm

It looks pretty good. I have a question though, I'm building my college computer (needs to be done by mid-august) and I was wondering if I should jump on this board, as I am getting this chipset, or do you guys think more SiS735 mobo's will shortly follow. I would like to start ordering the parts by next week. Thanks

FatBurger

Illustrious
More will follow shortly, but always wait for reviews and other people's opinions before buying something.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
First of all, I doubt that it will be 'on the shelves' that quickly.

Secondly, while I believe that the SiS735 chipset has a lot going for it (as does the nForce), I don't believe in buying any new chipset motherboard until it has been out for at least a couple of months; otherwixe, you are just begging for trouble. The most recent example of this is the VIA KT266 chipset with its debut on the MSI K7T266. Some of the screw-ups (admittedly mostly on MSI's part) were a joke, but even VIA learned a lot after the trials and tribulations of that fiasco. So much so, that they have now come out with an enhanced KT266 chipset in the newest ASUS A7V266.

So my advice is to either wait a couple of months to see how this brand new chipset works out, or (if you just can't wait) consider an established chipset, like the AMD760 (AMD761-VIA686B).