point-to-point wireless pc connection without access point

Hello,
I've a customer needs to connect 2 pc via wireless without using an Access
Point (same as ethernet cross cable).

Is there any devices able to do this ?
The installation will be in Italy: devices must be available at italian
market and frequencies must to responds to italian laws.

May anyone helps me ?

Thanks in advanced
best regards
Davide
3 answers Last reply
More about point point wireless connection access point

    DavideD wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I've a customer needs to connect 2 pc via wireless without using an Access
    > Point (same as ethernet cross cable).
    >
    > Is there any devices able to do this ?
    > The installation will be in Italy: devices must be available at italian
    > market and frequencies must to responds to italian laws.
    >
    > May anyone helps me ?
    >
    > Thanks in advanced
    > best regards
    > Davide

    You'll need to set up an ad-hoc network between the 2 machines. All (OK,
    don't quote me on this) wifi adapters have this sort of functionallity.
    In this mode (as opposed to infrastructure mode) the 2 wifi cards
    communicate with each other directly - no access point.

    Hope this Helps

    Peter Phillips
    Software Director
    Kinetiq Networks (UK)

    All client devices I know of allow this, and it is called Ad Hoc mode

    "DavideD" <davide.depaoli@labinf.it> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I've a customer needs to connect 2 pc via wireless without using an Access
    > Point (same as ethernet cross cable).
    >
    > Is there any devices able to do this ?
    > The installation will be in Italy: devices must be available at italian
    > market and frequencies must to responds to italian laws.
    >
    > May anyone helps me ?
    >
    > Thanks in advanced
    > best regards
    > Davide

    You just have to think up an SSID and make sure you put the same on both
    cards
    (it's like a network identifier)
    Also, make sure WEP encryption is disabled on both, until you get
    connectivity

    Also, put in manual IP addresses
    192.168.0.1 for the internet pc
    192.168.0.2 for the other one

    When on 192.168.0.2 you can "ping 192.168.0.1", you know your hardware is
    working and within range, etc... now you can play with dhcp, blah balhaba
    wep etc.

    "Coenraad Loubser" <c10u@ananzi.co.za> wrote in message
    > All client devices I know of allow this, and it is called Ad Hoc mode
    >
    > "DavideD" <davide.depaoli@labinf.it> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > > I've a customer needs to connect 2 pc via wireless without using an
    Access
    > > Point (same as ethernet cross cable).
    > >
    > > Is there any devices able to do this ?
    > > The installation will be in Italy: devices must be available at italian
    > > market and frequencies must to responds to italian laws.
    > >
    > > May anyone helps me ?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advanced
    > > best regards
    > > Davide

Wireless Connection Devices Wireless Networking