Sign in with
Your question

windows update error

Last response: in Windows XP
April 27, 2005 9:31:38 PM

im getting this error from the microsoft updates and ive trieed to do wut other forums say but no luck heres the error and i am the only user on this pc adim all the way thanks for the help

[Error number: 0x8DDD0002]
To install items from Windows Update, you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.

More about : windows update error

April 27, 2005 9:45:35 PM

Simple. Even though you are the only "user" of this PC, your "user" setting is not setup as administrator. If you've accidentally deleted your admin user, refer to recent posts on this forum on how to correct that.
April 27, 2005 9:54:38 PM

where do i go is there a link u can send me please
Related resources
April 28, 2005 12:00:03 AM

Refer to forum post under "Windows XP > Deleting an Admin account"
April 28, 2005 6:03:03 PM

Windows XP?

Right click My Computer - Manager - Local Users and Groups - Right click your account, Properties, Member Of -

Does it say Administrator?

If not, log off, log in as Administrator (with supplied password, hopefully you have that) and then do the above steps, but add in there - Add - type Administrators (for the account) and click Ok.
Log off, log in as your account, you're an admin on your local computer now.
April 30, 2005 2:30:43 AM

I'm having the same problem and my account is an admin.

Here is the error I get

---------------

[Error number: 0x80072EE2]
Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem:
For self-help options:

Windows Update Response Center

Windows Update Troubleshooter

Windows Update Newsgroups
For assisted support options:

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem yourself.
April 30, 2005 9:22:50 AM

CompTech2 and BJPatrick,

Out of curiosity, when you click on Start, is the user account name shown as "Administrator" or some other name? If it's some other name, then you can log in as the TRUE Administrator by:

1. going into User Accounts (via Control Panel)
2. Click 'Change the way users log on and off'
3. Uncheck 'Use the Welcome screen'
4. Click 'Apply Options'
5. Reboot
6. Type 'Administrator' as your login name
7. Press Enter if no password, otherwise proceed to next step.
8. Enter password, then press Enter.
April 30, 2005 11:43:47 AM

It was my firewall. Problem fixed.
April 30, 2005 3:23:00 PM

Good you found it but was it MS XP/SP2's FW or an external product?
April 30, 2005 5:31:38 PM

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago - on every pc in the house. It was right after a Comcast outage so I thought it was them. Comcast could not help me but advised I contact MS. Not wanting to do that I did some more troubleshooting. After finding that I could update if I bypassed my router - Netgear RP614 - by going directly to the cable modem I focused on the router. I had done nothing to the router as far as updates or anything but this seemed to be the problem. I went in and reset the router to 'factory settings'. All computers in the house were again able to update. I don't know what the problem was but it was fixed.
!