Need help building comp for SWTOR

xcmoney23

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
I will start off stating I am a complete noob at building computers, never done it before. However i have a few friends who have done it before and am looking for some other opinions. Star wars the old republic is an MMO and my comps always seem to be lagging in the FPS department. I am looking to build a computer that will run this game on a high setting for around $700 (if possible). I like having a nice monitor and already have a sound system, so if possible put that into any help given. Here are the supposed system requirements:

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo Processor 2.0 Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000

RAM: At least 1.5 GB or better for XP / 2 GB or better for Windows Vista /7 (Note - PC's using built in graphic chipsets 2 GB RAM is recommended.)

Disk Drive: 8x DVD-ROM

GFX: ATI XT800 or better / NVIDIA 7800 or better / Intel 4100 or better.

GFX RAM: 256 MB minimum video RAM, shader 3.0 or better fully compatible graphics card.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks for helping out a noob.

Jay_83

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Well, for starters, let's be clear that a rig from these minimum requirements has no chance in hell running TOR nicely and looking good. It'll be one or the other. Still, for ~$700 you should be able to put together something decent. Look at this kit for example. Clocks in at $676. I DO NOT recommend you buy this specifically, but it'll give you a good idea what components to look for.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.692056

From this combo you'd throw away the case (since you've got one) and the mobo (look for something more flexible than a micro ATX). HDD you can reuse from your current rig. Go for a GTX 560Ti instead of a plain 560. The 2500K is an awesome gaming CPU. The RAM in this kit is very decent.
With components within this price/performance range, you should be able to put together something that runs TOR (and other stuff) nicely.

Jay_83

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Oh, and don't rush. AMD's Bulldozer chips will be available before/around TOR's release. Who knows, after the benchmarks come in, might be able to build something equally fast but more wallet-friendly.
AMD are getting their collective ass kicked so hard by Sandy Bridge CPUs, they'll have to keep Bulldozer prices more or less reasonable to regain some market share.

xcmoney23

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
thanks for the quick reply!

just wanted to point out that the requirements in the original post are just the minimum requirements for the game to play, not what my computer is running currently (Currently just using a laptop). I will have to start from scratch for this comp, so i would have to add a case to that $676 example.