Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Steam account lost

Last response: in Video Games
August 10, 2011 4:51:09 AM

i have a steam account and i have been using it with the autolog option for a long time yesterday i had to format my pc and so i did it and when i installed the steam entered my password it didnt work...so i lost my password and my secret answer for the secret question i suscribed to steam support and gave them lots of payment proves so i hope that works

if it doesnt work would it be ok if i download the game from a torrent and enter the cd key that they gave me to validate the game?

More about : steam account lost

August 10, 2011 5:06:41 AM

This is one reason I dislike steam. It's almost as if you don't 100% truly own what you buy. The digital copy should be for instant download from them and then a hard copy mailed to you....just my opinion

Your credit card # or pay pal info should be sufficient...if they are not satisfied then I would use a torrent (legit dvd burn) of game.
August 10, 2011 5:27:44 AM

i attach to the payment prove an image of the credit card with which i bought the game and an image of my national id and a few other screenshots that prove that i legally bought the game so i hope thats sufficent for them but what i want to know is if the cd key that they provide me is sufficent to validate the game and play it online even if i download it from a torrent source
Related resources
August 10, 2011 5:30:22 AM

I think the keys are only good for playing through the steam service. There is only one way to find out. If worst comes to worst you have the evidence to show that you paid for the game. It's not like you stole it and applied a crack to it.
August 10, 2011 3:04:09 PM

I would not go the torrent route... Too many pitfalls.

Steam support are generally quite good, so they should be able to help you regain your password.
August 10, 2011 3:34:37 PM

They are not going to give you the cd-key if you haven't proved that you are the owner of the account. So if you are able to prove you are the owner of the steam account, you will not have problems getting to your games. They should be able to reset your password and such. If not, you are not getting your cd-key or access to your account.

Best solution

August 10, 2011 3:40:08 PM

Seeing how you have access to the email associated with the account, and can provide payment info I think you should be safe on this one and get your account back.

jeremy1183 said:
This is one reason I dislike steam. It's almost as if you don't 100% truly own what you buy. The digital copy should be for instant download from them and then a hard copy mailed to you....just my opinion

Your credit card # or pay pal info should be sufficient...if they are not satisfied then I would use a torrent (legit dvd burn) of game.

Legally you do not even own the hard copy. Go ahead and read the terms of agreement sometime. Not only do you not own anything
but as soon as you accept the terms of agreement they have the legal right to order you to cease using it for any or no reason.
It's unfair certainly but it is indeed the way it is.
August 10, 2011 9:14:00 PM

ngoy said:
They are not going to give you the cd-key if you haven't proved that you are the owner of the account. So if you are able to prove you are the owner of the steam account, you will not have problems getting to your games. They should be able to reset your password and such. If not, you are not getting your cd-key or access to your account.

He wouldn't have to get it from them if he wrote the cd key down when he purchased it. The keys pop up in small windows when you launch games (in some games like BFBC2). I copied all my keys from the game info when you right click on them in the library.

And maybe I'll read the Terms and Agreements sometime....i just hate reading them.
August 11, 2011 1:58:47 AM

i received an email from steam and they have reset my password and secret answer!! :D 

i think the key is to provide as much information as possible provide screenshots give an image of your credit card with which you pay for the game (obviusly black out the first 12 numers) show that you have nothing to hide... anything that proves that you pay for it and anything that proves that you have played the game legally (aside from the things that they request) for example i provide screenshots of my games for windows live achievements showing that im logged in... i took screenshots of a question i did in the gfwl forums etcetera...those things will help you prove your innocent mistake

thank you very much guys for the help and time
August 21, 2011 3:30:54 AM

Best answer selected by martiniboss.
August 21, 2011 4:34:16 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
!