Verizon Single Rate - Where Did It Go?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
November 15, 2004 12:24:06 AM

We have the Verizon Single Rate national plan. I don't see it listed
anywhere on the Verizon website anymore. Where did it go? There
doesn't seem to be any plans available now that are comparable. The
only plans I see listed have roaming charges. And what's up with that
new website for wireless? Did the webmaster quit? I have never seen
anything so bad from a big company.

More about : verizon single rate

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 15, 2004 11:41:00 AM

National Single Rate is no longer marketed as a separate plan from
National Access. However, it is exactly the same animal with data
usage available.

While it's true that the map online only shows the data areas, the
brochure map shows the standard NSR voice rate area. Exactly the same
rates as NSR.
November 15, 2004 12:53:51 PM

That's not the way I read it. All of the National plans have a
$.69/minute roaming charge. National Single Rate has no roaming
charge anywhere, anytime as long as you are within the U.S.

On 15 Nov 2004 08:41:00 -0800, 617@volcanomail.com (J on the phone)
wrote:

>National Single Rate is no longer marketed as a separate plan from
>National Access. However, it is exactly the same animal with data
>usage available.
>
>While it's true that the map online only shows the data areas, the
>brochure map shows the standard NSR voice rate area. Exactly the same
>rates as NSR.
a b F Wireless
November 15, 2004 2:24:39 PM

"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
> We have the Verizon Single Rate national plan. I don't see it listed
> anywhere on the Verizon website anymore. Where did it go?

It's not offered anymore, BUT as long as you DON'T change ANYTHING about the
plan you have, it should continue as is. I am over 4 years without change now,
even using the original phone with the original battery.

Tom J
November 15, 2004 2:24:40 PM

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:24:39 -0500, "Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com>
wrote:

>"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
>> We have the Verizon Single Rate national plan. I don't see it listed
>> anywhere on the Verizon website anymore. Where did it go?
>
>It's not offered anymore, BUT as long as you DON'T change ANYTHING about the
>plan you have, it should continue as is. I am over 4 years without change now,
>even using the original phone with the original battery.
>
>Tom J

Does that mean I can't even buy a new phone? We are well past the
contract date, and I really don't want to lose the national single
rate plan.

Dick
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 15, 2004 4:23:57 PM

> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:24:39 -0500, "Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com>
> wrote:
>

> >"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
> >> We have the Verizon Single Rate national plan. I don't see it listed
> >> anywhere on the Verizon website anymore. Where did it go?
> >
> >It's not offered anymore, BUT as long as you DON'T change ANYTHING about
the
> >plan you have, it should continue as is. I am over 4 years without change
now,
> >even using the original phone with the original battery.
> >
> >Tom J
> >

> Does that mean I can't even buy a new phone? We are well past the
> contract date, and I really don't want to lose the national single
> rate plan.

My guess is, you will have to buy the phone retail if you get it from Verizon,
if you want to keep your plan as is. Ask Verizon, and if they offer to supply
you a new phone at less than full price, I'd want it in writing that it would
not change the plan. They are going to want a NEW contract, so be careful.
This is partly speculation, and partly from experience of asking about changes
to my NationalSingleRate Plan. The plan I have lets me call to and from the US
and Canada at no cost up to plan minutes, and is 30 cents after that with no
roaming. I wanted to add calling from Mexico, and they would do that too, BUT,
I would then have to pay extra for Canada as well as lose all bonus minutes.
Needless to say, I just used a Mexican calling card while in Mexico, which
makes calling from there very cheap anyway.

Tom J

Tom J
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 15, 2004 7:44:59 PM

Dick <LeadWinger> wrote in message news:<olnhp09u95n17bgq1vdn4v3bk7r39169qi@4ax.com>...
> That's not the way I read it. All of the National plans have a
> $.69/minute roaming charge. National Single Rate has no roaming
> charge anywhere, anytime as long as you are within the U.S.

Read the description of the National Access plan. It plainly states
"No roaming or long distance charges."
November 15, 2004 9:18:47 PM

On 15 Nov 2004 16:44:59 -0800, 617@volcanomail.com (J on the phone)
wrote:

>Dick <LeadWinger> wrote in message news:<olnhp09u95n17bgq1vdn4v3bk7r39169qi@4ax.com>...
>> That's not the way I read it. All of the National plans have a
>> $.69/minute roaming charge. National Single Rate has no roaming
>> charge anywhere, anytime as long as you are within the U.S.
>>

>Read the description of the National Access plan. It plainly states
>"No roaming or long distance charges."

Ah so. I see my problem. Silly me, I was looking under National
Plans. Apparently, Verizon doesn't consider the NationalAccess Plan
to be a National Plan. You have to look under Internet/Data Plans to
find that one. Or All Plans.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 16, 2004 11:36:26 AM

In article <ajbgp09k47f44c7ljrv0kbmmugrt2r28po@4ax.com>,
Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>We have the Verizon Single Rate national plan. I don't see it listed
>anywhere on the Verizon website anymore. Where did it go? There
>doesn't seem to be any plans available now that are comparable. The
>only plans I see listed have roaming charges. And what's up with that
>new website for wireless? Did the webmaster quit? I have never seen
>anything so bad from a big company.

I think the "National Access" plan (under DATA plans) is equivalent to
the "old" SRN plan. It has exactly the same price structure as SRN, and
just additionally has the National Access minutes-of-use option turned
on. While they say that "National Acccess" minutes can be used for either
data or voice, nowhere in the National Access plan description do they
tell you what the coverage area is for voice calls; the only map I could
find talks about data.

Perhaps you could call customer service and mention the "National Access"
plan and ask what the coverage area is for voice calls.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 18, 2004 7:30:24 PM

"CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <301dp0F2r5fhhU1@uni-berlin.de>,
> Tom J <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote:

> >> It says that **digital service, features, and promotions are not
available
> >> in all areas** and may not follow you across the entire NationalAccess
> >> Calling Plan Voice Service Home Airtime Rate and Coverage area. This is
> >> old news; VM notifications, SMS messaging, and so on may not be available
> >> everywhere, and indeed it may not even be digital. But basic calls will
> >> work. What they don't ever define is the "National Access Calling Plan
> >> Voice Service Home Airtime Rate and Coverage Area", which we conjecture
> >> is the entire United States, including non-preferred ($.69/min on America
> >> Choice) partners.
> >>

> >You can say what the plan rules are any way you like. I just posted what is
> >actually posted by Verizon. The original post was "is this the same as the
> >old NationalSingleRate plan" and from the definition from Verizon, it
doesn't
> >even come close.
>
> The quote says that some features may not work in all areas, and some
> features work only on VZW systems. Same is true for NSR. My point is
> that the rules as posted *ARE* exactly like NSR. What am I missing??

What you are missing is, the old NSR plan is just that, a single rate whether
you are on digital, analog. or on someone else's tower, and there are no
restrictions on area. I've used the NSR plan all over North America, so I know
what it does and doesn't do. I've only been in a couple of places where I got
a signal and no service. A call from a pay phone had me on line within 5
minutes. Just try that trick with the new plan and you'll be paying roaming.

Tom J
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 19, 2004 8:49:50 AM

In article <304ij9F2q4phaU1@uni-berlin.de>,
Tom J <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote:

>"CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message

>available
>> >>

>> >You can say what the plan rules are any way you like. I just posted what is
>> >actually posted by Verizon. The original post was "is this the same as the
>> >old NationalSingleRate plan" and from the definition from Verizon, it
>doesn't
>> >even come close.
>>
>> The quote says that some features may not work in all areas, and some
>> features work only on VZW systems. Same is true for NSR. My point is
>> that the rules as posted *ARE* exactly like NSR. What am I missing??
>
>What you are missing is, the old NSR plan is just that, a single rate whether
>you are on digital, analog. or on someone else's tower, and there are no
>restrictions on area. I've used the NSR plan all over North America, so I know
>what it does and doesn't do. I've only been in a couple of places where I got
>a signal and no service. A call from a pay phone had me on line within 5
>minutes. Just try that trick with the new plan and you'll be paying roaming.

Why would you be paying roaming? My understanding is that the "National
Access Calling Plan Voice Service Home Airtime Rate Area and Coverage
Area" is the same as that for NSR: anywhere in the 50 states on any
carrier VZW has a roaming agreement with. If VZW does not have a roaming
agreement, you will be prompted for a credit card on either NSR or NA. But
if the call goes through without a credit card, you won't pay roaming,
even if it is a non-preferred provider on which you would pay $.69/min
roaming charges under America Choice. I am a former NSR subscriber, and
I also am familiar with its features. Where does the VZW plan description
say that you ever pay roaming charges under NA when in the US? It just
says that some features may not work in some areas.

Note that that there is no roaming charge listed for National Access in
the list of data plans. The only place roaming charges are mentioned is
with respect to international roaming.

Also, Analog vs. Digital is never a factor on VZW as to whether a call is
roaming. That is a myth spread by SprintPCS, who until recently disabled
digital roaming on their plans. Roaming on some provider in some area is
either billed as roaming or not, depending only the roaming agreement
between that company and VZW and on the caller's rate plan, regardless
of whether you are using analog or digital.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 19, 2004 1:10:57 PM

> Why would you be paying roaming? My understanding is that the "National
> Access Calling Plan Voice Service Home Airtime Rate Area and Coverage
> Area" is the same as that for NSR: anywhere in the 50 states on any
> carrier VZW has a roaming agreement with. If VZW does not have a roaming
> agreement, you will be prompted for a credit card on either NSR or NA

Those are the connections I'm talking about - asking for credit card. With NSR
plan I get the system turned on - you won't with the other plan, and if you
think the total coverage of the new plan equals the coverage of the NSR plan,
have at it!!
Tom J
Who has been all over North America and know what connects where & is out of
this thread
November 19, 2004 6:46:07 PM

Maybe this "discussion" could be solved by answering the following
question. Is there any way possible, under any circumstances, in any
area of the U.S. that you may have to pay roaming charges under the
National Access Plan? Under National One Rate, there are none - ever.

Dick (The guy who started the thread.)

On 19 Nov 2004 12:52:59 -0800, 617@volcanomail.com (J on the phone)
wrote:

>Interesting edit, but inadvertantly misleading.
>
>This would be the same as quoting a man who says, "It is absolutely
>crazy to say that I am a millionaire," by claiming he said "I am a
>millionaire." It's true. He said those words, but without context, it
>totally changes the meaning.
>
>When you used the final passage under your heading "Note specifically
>this part:"
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 19, 2004 10:13:34 PM

> Maybe this "discussion" could be solved by answering the following
> question. Is there any way possible, under any circumstances, in any
> area of the U.S. that you may have to pay roaming charges under the
> National Access Plan? Under National One Rate, there are none - ever.
>
> Dick (The guy who started the thread.)

Dick, there are places where you will be ask for a credit card. They may not
call it "roaming", but some of these carriers charge well over $2.00 per
minute, American "Roaming" Network for one. Unless you need to change for some
reason, I suggest you do like me and stay with what you know works where you
want it to.

Tom J
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 20, 2004 7:44:57 PM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 05:49:50 GMT, CharlesH wrote:

> Why would you be paying roaming? My understanding is that the "National
> Access Calling Plan Voice Service Home Airtime Rate Area and Coverage
> Area" is the same as that for NSR: anywhere in the 50 states on any
> carrier VZW has a roaming agreement with. If VZW does not have a roaming
> agreement, you will be prompted for a credit card on either NSR or NA.

Nope. With my old NSR I never have to provide any credit card to make a
call from anywhere in the US. It covers the entire country WITH NO ROAMING
CHARGES no matter where you are or on what tower you are using, VZW coverage
area or not.

That's why VZW wants to kill it. They lose money every time I use a
network that is "roaming" under the AC or NA plan.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 20, 2004 8:15:23 PM

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:44:57 GMT, Traveling Man wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 05:49:50 GMT, CharlesH wrote:
>
>> Why would you be paying roaming? My understanding is that the "National
>> Access Calling Plan Voice Service Home Airtime Rate Area and Coverage
>> Area" is the same as that for NSR: anywhere in the 50 states on any
>> carrier VZW has a roaming agreement with. If VZW does not have a roaming
>> agreement, you will be prompted for a credit card on either NSR or NA.
>
> Nope. With my old NSR I never have to provide any credit card to make a
> call from anywhere in the US. It covers the entire country WITH NO ROAMING
> CHARGES no matter where you are or on what tower you are using, VZW coverage
> area or not.
>
> That's why VZW wants to kill it. They lose money every time I use a
> network that is "roaming" under the AC or NA plan.

My wife is still on her old SIngle Rate East plan for the same reason. Any
call from the NE (where she spends 99% of her time) is roam-free, regardless
of location.

She gets a promo mailing from VZW every month pushing the AC plan.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 20, 2004 10:20:31 PM

What am I missing here? National SingleRate is still there, and it
looks pretty much like it always has. I'm not presently using it
because the America's Choice plan meets my needs for a few less bucks,
but the SR plan looks pretty much as I remember it being when I was
using it a couple of years ago.

--
Richard J. Wyble
November 20, 2004 10:20:32 PM

Still where? It is not on the Verizon website, and a local Verizon
dealer has verified that it is no longer available.

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:20:31 GMT, "Richard J. Wyble"
<rwyble@yahoo.com> wrote:

>What am I missing here? National SingleRate is still there, and it
>looks pretty much like it always has. I'm not presently using it
>because the America's Choice plan meets my needs for a few less bucks,
>but the SR plan looks pretty much as I remember it being when I was
>using it a couple of years ago.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 21, 2004 12:24:20 AM

In article <1hbq861m9b84d$.8doyx0l6mr36$.dlg@40tude.net>,
Traveling Man <> wrote:
>On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 05:49:50 GMT, CharlesH wrote:
>
>> Why would you be paying roaming? My understanding is that the "National
>> Access Calling Plan Voice Service Home Airtime Rate Area and Coverage
>> Area" is the same as that for NSR: anywhere in the 50 states on any
>> carrier VZW has a roaming agreement with. If VZW does not have a roaming
>> agreement, you will be prompted for a credit card on either NSR or NA.
>
>Nope. With my old NSR I never have to provide any credit card to make a
>call from anywhere in the US. It covers the entire country WITH NO ROAMING
>CHARGES no matter where you are or on what tower you are using, VZW coverage
>area or not.
>
>That's why VZW wants to kill it. They lose money every time I use a
>network that is "roaming" under the AC or NA plan.

Sigh... There are some mom&pop cellular providers with whom VZW does not
have ANY roaming agreement. This is where you get the credit card issue.
They simply do NOT have a billing arrangement with VZW, and cannot bill
VZW for the call. They are rare, and one is unlikely to hit them. But
if you do, you WILL get prompted for a credit card, even with NSR. The
old NSR fine print specifically mentioned this case. This is not a
roaming charge; you are paying the provider directly for service. MUCH
more common are providers where VZW has a roaming agreement, but it
is not favorable to VZW, and thus it is not part of AC. These are the
ones which are $.69/min under AC, but included under NSR and (I claim)
NA. I had NSR for years, and am very familiar with how it works.

I had NSR and had the free National Access option added to it. Rather
than have the NSR plan and the National Access plan at the same price,
I think they just renamed NSR to be National Access and just always turn
on the National Access option (just like they do for America Choice).

I still cannot find anywhere on the VZW web site where it says that you
ever pay domestic roaming on National Access.

The tradeoff with NSR (and NA) is that you don't get any offpeak/weekend
minutes or IN-network buckets. All airtime comes out of your plan minutes.
In return, your plan includes the more expensive (to VZW) non-preferred
roaming partners.
November 21, 2004 12:24:21 AM

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:24:20 GMT, hoch@exemplary.invalid (CharlesH)
wrote:

>I still cannot find anywhere on the VZW web site where it says that you
>ever pay domestic roaming on National Access.
>
>The tradeoff with NSR (and NA) is that you don't get any offpeak/weekend
>minutes or IN-network buckets. All airtime comes out of your plan minutes.
>In return, your plan includes the more expensive (to VZW) non-preferred
>roaming partners.

When I study the Verizon site, I see something entirely different.

First, the NationalAccess plan is not a National Plan per se. It is a
Digital/Internet plan with limited national coverage and voice thrown
in. The only National plans are America's Choice, American's Choice
with Push to Talk, and North America's Choice.

Second, if you study the coverage maps for NationalAccess and
America's Choice, you will see a huge difference in coverage. It is
obvious that the NationalAccess plan is digital only and does not give
you AMPS coverage. And nowhere near the coverage of America's Choice.
If I am wrong about that, then Verizon's maps are REALLY wrong. There
are no roaming charges for NationalAccess, but there is no coverage in
half the country either. Basically, you need to be within Verizon's
digital system, and any other system they may have an agreement with.

Third, if you can recall the coverage map for NSR, it covered the
country completely. Solid red with no gaps. It provides coverage
where even America's Choice doesn't. That doesn't mean there are no
areas without useable coverage. There may indeed be some mom and pop
operation somewhere in the country where you would be denied access
without paying up front. I have never run across such an animal, and
I would submit that it not something to be concerned about.

It would be easy to conclude that there is no difference between NA
and NSR if you live in a large city. The bottom line is that NSR
gives far superior coverage to NationalAccess, and even more than
America's Choice.

Dick
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 21, 2004 12:24:22 AM

Dick wrote:

> First, the NationalAccess plan is not a National Plan per se. It is a
> Digital/Internet plan with limited national coverage and voice thrown
> in. The only National plans are America's Choice, American's Choice
> with Push to Talk, and North America's Choice.

I think this is an important distinction. National SingleRate was a voice-only
plan. You could get Express Network (now NationalAccess) with the same
coverage, but the full coverage only applied to voice, as far as I know,
because you generally won't be able to use data services on a carrier that
isn't the one you've contracted with.

> Third, if you can recall the coverage map for NSR, it covered the
> country completely. Solid red with no gaps. It provides coverage
> where even America's Choice doesn't. That doesn't mean there are no
> areas without useable coverage. There may indeed be some mom and pop
> operation somewhere in the country where you would be denied access
> without paying up front. I have never run across such an animal, and
> I would submit that it not something to be concerned about.

I can understand their desire not to offer it, since they can't charge roaming
fees back to customers when billed by other carriers. On the other hand, even
Sprint now has a "no roaming charges anywhere" addon to Free & Clear -- the
Sprint plan that Verizon's America's Choice competes with and is most identical
to -- and to Fair & Flexible, a new plan just released in the past couple
months. Cingular still has a "no roaming charges anywhere" plan. As far as I
know, Alltel and T-Mobile do too (don't know about the other major carriers).
So they could potentially lose some business...

a b F Wireless
November 21, 2004 4:19:25 AM

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?ite...

--
Richard J. Wyble
November 21, 2004 4:19:26 AM

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 01:19:25 GMT, "Richard J. Wyble"
<rwyble@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Dick wrote (11/20/2004 3:50 PM):
>
>> Still where? It is not on the Verizon website, and a local Verizon
>> dealer has verified that it is no longer available.
>>

>> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:20:31 GMT, "Richard J. Wyble"
>> <rwyble@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>>What am I missing here? National SingleRate is still there, and it
>>>looks pretty much like it always has. I'm not presently using it
>>>because the America's Choice plan meets my needs for a few less bucks,
>>>but the SR plan looks pretty much as I remember it being when I was
>>>using it a couple of years ago.
>>

>http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?ite...

That link goes nowhere. Even if you do a search on the site for
National Single Rate you won't come up with anything.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 21, 2004 5:37:44 AM

Dick wrote (11/20/2004 8:40 PM):

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 01:19:25 GMT, "Richard J. Wyble"
> <rwyble@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Dick wrote (11/20/2004 3:50 PM):
>>

>>>Still where? It is not on the Verizon website, and a local Verizon
>>>dealer has verified that it is no longer available.

>>http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?ite...
>

> That link goes nowhere. Even if you do a search on the site for
> National Single Rate you won't come up with anything.

The link was pasted directly from the browser. It was achieved by:

1) Going to http://www.verizonwireless.com
2) Selecting Plans-->All Plans

The plans listed from which one may select are:

1) America's Choice
2) America's Choice with Push to Talk
3) National SingleRate
4) DigitalChoice
5) PDA/Smartphone
6) Unlimited NationalAccess and BroadbandAccess
7) NationalAccess
8) NationalAccess Megabyte
9) BlackBerry® Solution

The link I posted which the respondent says goes nowhere was No. 3
above, National SingleRate.

Now, I do note that when I change my ZIP code to that of Hialeah,
Florida 33010, the National SingleRate selection is no longer present.
Changing the ZIP code to that of San Francisco, California 94102 also
fails to display the National SingleRate selection.

Selecting ZIP codes for New York City, 10001, or anywhere in the Boston
area (where I live) *do* result in the National SingleRate selection
being available.

--
Richard J. Wyble
Anonymous

In article <YbTnd.2357$K36.1925@trndny03>,
"Richard J. Wyble" <rwyble@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The link I posted which the respondent says goes nowhere was No. 3
> above, National SingleRate.
>
> Now, I do note that when I change my ZIP code to that of Hialeah,
> Florida 33010, the National SingleRate selection is no longer
> present. Changing the ZIP code to that of San Francisco, California
> 94102 also fails to display the National SingleRate selection.
>
> Selecting ZIP codes for New York City, 10001, or anywhere in the
> Boston area (where I live) *do* result in the National SingleRate
> selection being available.

But if you try to go directly to that URL and your zip code is not in an
area where National SingleRate is still offered, you get to a page that
says

Upgrading our website

We are improving our web site to serve you better

We're currently upgrading our website and apologize for the
inconvenience.
Please visit us again soon.

So, the bottom line is that National SingleRate is still offered in
certain parts of the US (e.g., NYC and Boston), but is not offered
everywhere.

November 21, 2004 5:37:45 AM

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 02:37:44 GMT, "Richard J. Wyble"
<rwyble@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> That link goes nowhere. Even if you do a search on the site for
>> National Single Rate you won't come up with anything.
>
>The link was pasted directly from the browser. It was achieved by:
>
>1) Going to http://www.verizonwireless.com
>2) Selecting Plans-->All Plans
>
>The plans listed from which one may select are:
>
>1) America's Choice
>2) America's Choice with Push to Talk
>3) National SingleRate
>4) DigitalChoice
>5) PDA/Smartphone
>6) Unlimited NationalAccess and BroadbandAccess
>7) NationalAccess
>8) NationalAccess Megabyte
>9) BlackBerry® Solution
>

>The link I posted which the respondent says goes nowhere was No. 3
>above, National SingleRate.
>
>Now, I do note that when I change my ZIP code to that of Hialeah,
>Florida 33010, the National SingleRate selection is no longer present.
>Changing the ZIP code to that of San Francisco, California 94102 also
>fails to display the National SingleRate selection.
>
>Selecting ZIP codes for New York City, 10001, or anywhere in the Boston
>area (where I live) *do* result in the National SingleRate selection
>being available.

Aha! You seem to have hit on the problem. I tried that and I also
see the NSR in other parts of the country. Apparently, Verizon has
not discontinued it everywhere. I did notice that the map for NSR no
longer blankets the entire country, but looks more like America's
Choice. Very good Richard. Mystery solved.

Dick
November 21, 2004 12:06:59 PM

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 13:50:11 -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

>Still where? It is not on the Verizon website, and a local Verizon
>dealer has verified that it is no longer available.
>

>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:20:31 GMT, "Richard J. Wyble"
><rwyble@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>What am I missing here? National SingleRate is still there, and it
>>looks pretty much like it always has. I'm not presently using it
>>because the America's Choice plan meets my needs for a few less bucks,
>>but the SR plan looks pretty much as I remember it being when I was
>>using it a couple of years ago.

It's on Verizon plans if I enter my zip code! Just enter my Eastern MA
Zip, go to "Plans" and it's their can order it...

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

November 21, 2004 12:07:00 PM

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 09:06:59 -0500, gerry <gerrry_net@gogood.com>
wrote:

>[original post is likely clipped to save bandwidth]
>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 13:50:11 -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>
>>Still where? It is not on the Verizon website, and a local Verizon
>>dealer has verified that it is no longer available.
>>

>>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:20:31 GMT, "Richard J. Wyble"
>><rwyble@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>What am I missing here? National SingleRate is still there, and it
>>>looks pretty much like it always has. I'm not presently using it
>>>because the America's Choice plan meets my needs for a few less bucks,
>>>but the SR plan looks pretty much as I remember it being when I was
>>>using it a couple of years ago.
>
>It's on Verizon plans if I enter my zip code! Just enter my Eastern MA
>Zip, go to "Plans" and it's their can order it...
>
>gerry

As was pointed out by Richard in an earlier post, it depends
completely upon where you live. Seems to be still available in the
east, but not in the mid-west and west.

Dick
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 21, 2004 1:43:16 PM

Dick wrote:
> We have the Verizon Single Rate national plan. I don't see it listed
> anywhere on the Verizon website anymore. Where did it go? There
> doesn't seem to be any plans available now that are comparable. The
> only plans I see listed have roaming charges. And what's up with that
> new website for wireless? Did the webmaster quit? I have never seen
> anything so bad from a big company.

Then there's this link:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia/coverageRoami...
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 21, 2004 2:37:45 PM

Others wrote, in part:
>The link was pasted directly from the browser. It was achieved by:
>
>1) Going to http://www.verizonwireless.com
>2) Selecting Plans-->All Plans
>
>The plans listed from which one may select are:
>3) National SingleRate

I looked at the web page and found, in part:
Roaming Indicator Information:
When the indicator is flashing and the banner displays "Extended
Network": home airtime rates apply....
When the indicator is solid or the banner displays "Roaming": roaming
rates apply....

In other words, if, for example, I am in an area normally or nominally
covered by Verizon and a nearby tower is down or isn't reachable for
some other reason, or the software flakes, if my phone says roaming I
pay roaming.

With the plan that I currently have I don't have to pay even if my
happens to say roaming as long as I am in a nominally covered area.
(The agreement says that I don't have to pay anywhere in the lower 48
states even I am not in a nominally covered area, but I haven't tried
getting credit for such calls.)
if I am not in a nominally covered
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 22, 2004 5:16:01 AM

In article <oig1q05u8n6frdglhosm0pg3p0etr8stoj@4ax.com>,
Mark Fineman <mfineman@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>Others wrote, in part:
> >The link was pasted directly from the browser. It was achieved by:
>>
>>1) Going to http://www.verizonwireless.com
>>2) Selecting Plans-->All Plans
>>
>>The plans listed from which one may select are:
>>3) National SingleRate
>
>I looked at the web page and found, in part:
> Roaming Indicator Information:
> When the indicator is flashing and the banner displays "Extended
> Network": home airtime rates apply....
> When the indicator is solid or the banner displays "Roaming": roaming
> rates apply....
>
>In other words, if, for example, I am in an area normally or nominally
>covered by Verizon and a nearby tower is down or isn't reachable for
>some other reason, or the software flakes, if my phone says roaming I
>pay roaming.
>
>With the plan that I currently have I don't have to pay even if my
>happens to say roaming as long as I am in a nominally covered area.
>(The agreement says that I don't have to pay anywhere in the lower 48
> states even I am not in a nominally covered area, but I haven't tried
> getting credit for such calls.)
>if I am not in a nominally covered

There is no direct connection between the roaming status showing on the
phone, and how you will be billed for the call. The bill is determined
by the billing system, and on NSR, you never pay domestic roaming (in
all 50 states, not just the lower 48). The indicator on the phone is set
by the Preferred Roaming List which has been downloaded to your phone,
and it is *supposed* to be consistent with your rate plan, but there is
no guarantee. In particular, on NSR, everything in the PRL shows either
"Verizon" or "Extended Network". If you are using a system not in the PRL,
it says "Roaming". But regardless of what is says, you aren't supposed
to be billed roaming as long as you are on a U.S. system. Canadian systems
also show "Roaming", and they are actually billed as such.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 22, 2004 5:16:02 AM

> Canadian systems
> also show "Roaming", and they are actually billed as such.

There again, depends on your plan. A few of the NSR plans have Canada
included.
Tom J
who is one of them
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 23, 2004 5:30:42 PM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:46:07 -0700, Dick wrote:

> Maybe this "discussion" could be solved by answering the following
> question. Is there any way possible, under any circumstances, in any area
> of the U.S. that you may have to pay roaming charges under the National
> Access Plan? Under National One Rate, there are none - ever.

I recall bing asked for a credit card while on Single Rate West.

--
Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"

Yes, I get asked for a credit card in Denver on my SingleRate West plan,
after I lose both the Verizon network and the Sprint network, and finally
settle on AT&T/Cingular analog.

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com

"Chuck Forsberg" <caf@localhost.localdomain> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.11.23.22.30.41.273720@localhost.localdomain...

> I recall bing asked for a credit card while on Single Rate West.

November 29, 2004 9:41:09 PM

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:30:42 -0800, Chuck Forsberg
<caf@localhost.localdomain> wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:46:07 -0700, Dick wrote:
>
>> Maybe this "discussion" could be solved by answering the following
>> question. Is there any way possible, under any circumstances, in any area
>> of the U.S. that you may have to pay roaming charges under the National
>> Access Plan? Under National One Rate, there are none - ever.
>
>I recall bing asked for a credit card while on Single Rate West.

I take it that was not the 'National' Single Rate plan.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 29, 2004 9:41:10 PM

Dick wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:30:42 -0800, Chuck Forsberg
> <caf@localhost.localdomain> wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:46:07 -0700, Dick wrote:
>>
>>I recall bing asked for a credit card while on Single Rate West.
>
> I take it that was not the 'National' Single Rate plan.

No, it isn't. It was a regional plan. The only nationwide
no-roaming-anywhere-even-when-not-using-a-preferred-Verizon-roaming-partner
plan is the one with "National" in its name. ;)

a b F Wireless
November 30, 2004 9:22:30 AM

In article <a3hvp0tddplsdi15dhice48ovvqfkk64ko@4ax.com>,
Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:24:20 GMT, hoch@exemplary.invalid (CharlesH)
>wrote:
>
>>I still cannot find anywhere on the VZW web site where it says that you
>>ever pay domestic roaming on National Access.
>>
>>The tradeoff with NSR (and NA) is that you don't get any offpeak/weekend
>>minutes or IN-network buckets. All airtime comes out of your plan minutes.
>>In return, your plan includes the more expensive (to VZW) non-preferred
>>roaming partners.
>
>When I study the Verizon site, I see something entirely different.
>
>First, the NationalAccess plan is not a National Plan per se. It is a
>Digital/Internet plan with limited national coverage and voice thrown
>in. The only National plans are America's Choice, American's Choice
>with Push to Talk, and North America's Choice.
>
>Second, if you study the coverage maps for NationalAccess and
>America's Choice, you will see a huge difference in coverage. It is
>obvious that the NationalAccess plan is digital only and does not give
>you AMPS coverage. And nowhere near the coverage of America's Choice.
>If I am wrong about that, then Verizon's maps are REALLY wrong. There
>are no roaming charges for NationalAccess, but there is no coverage in
>half the country either. Basically, you need to be within Verizon's
>digital system, and any other system they may have an agreement with.

From what I gather in e-mail I have traded with the online CSRs on the
VZW Web site, the coverage map shown on the Web site describes only the
DATA coverage, which, as you say, is limited to native VZW systems.
After all, National Access is listed under the DATA plans, so they
describe the data coverage.

But concerning VOICE coverage, quoting from one response:

We appreciate your interest in utilizing NationalAccess for your wireless
data needs, and we are happy to assist you.

Starting at just $35.00 per month, you receive an airtime allowance
that can be used for both wireless Internet access and domestic calling.
There are no domestic long distance or domestic roaming charges coast to
coast. The coverage area is like the National Single Rate coverage area.

And another message (which is a worded a bit strangely):

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website.
We appreciate your inquiry regarding the coverage provided by your
National Access plan, and we are happy to assist you.

Coverage for your voice calls is included in the America's Choice
coverage map.

>Third, if you can recall the coverage map for NSR, it covered the
>country completely. Solid red with no gaps.

That map was a fairy tale, in that it included areas with NO cellular
coverage of any kind. The point of NSR is that if you have coverage
anywhere in the U.S., it is included in your plan, as opposed to
America Choice, which charges you roaming for non-preferred providers.

>It provides coverage
>where even America's Choice doesn't. That doesn't mean there are no
>areas without useable coverage. There may indeed be some mom and pop
>operation somewhere in the country where you would be denied access
>without paying up front. I have never run across such an animal, and
>I would submit that it not something to be concerned about.

I agree that such operations are few and far between. And you won't
be suprised by unexpected roaming charges on them, since you have to
pay up front with a credit card.

>It would be easy to conclude that there is no difference between NA
>and NSR if you live in a large city. The bottom line is that NSR
>gives far superior coverage to NationalAccess, and even more than
>America's Choice.

The way I see it, they added the National Access feature to NSR,
re-categorized it to be a data plan, renamed it "National Access", and
marketed it as a data plan. Why else would the price points (X dollars
for Y minutes) be IDENTICAL to NSR?
!