New Cell Sites in Massachusetts (was New Tower Lincoln, MA..

Last response: in Network Providers
a b F Wireless
November 15, 2004 10:15:05 AM

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2004...

Verizon Wireless, moving to burnish its industry reputation for the
strongest cellular calling coverage, said it has recently activated 12
new cell sites in Greater Boston and Northern New England.

Because more and more college students are going all-wireless, two of
the new sites are specifically aimed at beefing up coverage in and
around Boston College and Harvard University. A Cleveland Circle site
near BC supplements existing sites in nearby Newton, Brighton, and
Brookline. Verizon's new transmitters and receivers on Mount Auburn
Street site in Cambridge will reach the Harvard and Radcliffe campuses
and stretches of Memorial Drive, Soldiers' Field Road, and Greenough
Boulevard.

Other recently activated Massachusetts sites include one on Cambridge
Turnpike in Lincoln, to increase coverage along routes 2 and 2A in
Lincoln and Concord; a new site on Washington Street in Foxborough,
covering Route 1 north of Gillette Stadium; and Taunton Avenue (Route
44) in Seekonk, covering that town and neighboring Rehoboth.

In Northern New England, the seven new recently activated cell sites
and high-usage areas they cover are: Plymouth, N.H., on Fairgrounds
Road, Interstate 93 between Lincoln and Plymouth; Woodstock, N.H.,
three new sites on Cox Farm, Stone Dam and South Mayd roads that cover
the same stretch of I-93; Biddeford, Maine, Alfred Street, Route 1 in
downtown Biddeford; Kennebunkport, Maine, Mills Road, I-95 and Route
1; and Wells Beach, Maine, Coles Hill Road, Routes 1 and 9 in Wells.

Verizon, which spends more than $1 billion every three months
nationwide on adding network capacity, also moved this month to
increase coverage in New England by buying airwave spectrum licenses
from Nextwave Telecom Inc. for $3 billion. The 23 markets covered by
the licenses include metropolitan Boston, Pittsfield, and Springfield.

The deal gives Verizon about 42 percent more raw airwave capacity in
Greater Boston, much of which will be used in a new BroadbandAccess
wireless data service that promises mobile Internet connection speeds
of 300 kilobits per second, roughly six times as fast as a dial-up
modem, said David Heverling, a Verizon vice president. Verizon has
activated the higher-speed service in widescale tests and hopes to
begin signing up Boston-area customers soon.

Peter J. Howe can be reached at howe@globe.com.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 16, 2004 2:45:15 AM

I didn't know about the Cambridge Turnpike site I guess that's the
improvement that was noted. The new Lewis Street Lincoln site was still
silent today with virtually no signal in that part of town.

"Pete Davis" <pdavis2777@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 82d3a4f.0411150715.5e4258ce@posting.google.com...
> http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2004...
>

> Other recently activated Massachusetts sites include one on Cambridge
> Turnpike in Lincoln, to increase coverage along routes 2 and 2A in
> Lincoln and Concord>
> Peter J. Howe can be reached at howe@globe.com.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 16, 2004 2:59:36 AM

On a side note, they're building a cell tower at Sharon Country Club. Think
it's a Sprint tower with the possibility of Nextel, Cingular, and Verizon
being represented too (sorry, not exactly sure how that works). The
physical structure itself is already up...

"Pete Davis" <pdavis2777@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 82d3a4f.0411150715.5e4258ce@posting.google.com...
> http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2004...
>
> Verizon Wireless, moving to burnish its industry reputation for the
> strongest cellular calling coverage, said it has recently activated 12
> new cell sites in Greater Boston and Northern New England.
>
> Because more and more college students are going all-wireless, two of
> the new sites are specifically aimed at beefing up coverage in and
> around Boston College and Harvard University. A Cleveland Circle site
> near BC supplements existing sites in nearby Newton, Brighton, and
> Brookline. Verizon's new transmitters and receivers on Mount Auburn
> Street site in Cambridge will reach the Harvard and Radcliffe campuses
> and stretches of Memorial Drive, Soldiers' Field Road, and Greenough
> Boulevard.
>
> Other recently activated Massachusetts sites include one on Cambridge
> Turnpike in Lincoln, to increase coverage along routes 2 and 2A in
> Lincoln and Concord; a new site on Washington Street in Foxborough,
> covering Route 1 north of Gillette Stadium; and Taunton Avenue (Route
> 44) in Seekonk, covering that town and neighboring Rehoboth.
>
> In Northern New England, the seven new recently activated cell sites
> and high-usage areas they cover are: Plymouth, N.H., on Fairgrounds
> Road, Interstate 93 between Lincoln and Plymouth; Woodstock, N.H.,
> three new sites on Cox Farm, Stone Dam and South Mayd roads that cover
> the same stretch of I-93; Biddeford, Maine, Alfred Street, Route 1 in
> downtown Biddeford; Kennebunkport, Maine, Mills Road, I-95 and Route
> 1; and Wells Beach, Maine, Coles Hill Road, Routes 1 and 9 in Wells.
>
> Verizon, which spends more than $1 billion every three months
> nationwide on adding network capacity, also moved this month to
> increase coverage in New England by buying airwave spectrum licenses
> from Nextwave Telecom Inc. for $3 billion. The 23 markets covered by
> the licenses include metropolitan Boston, Pittsfield, and Springfield.
>
> The deal gives Verizon about 42 percent more raw airwave capacity in
> Greater Boston, much of which will be used in a new BroadbandAccess
> wireless data service that promises mobile Internet connection speeds
> of 300 kilobits per second, roughly six times as fast as a dial-up
> modem, said David Heverling, a Verizon vice president. Verizon has
> activated the higher-speed service in widescale tests and hopes to
> begin signing up Boston-area customers soon.
>
> Peter J. Howe can be reached at howe@globe.com.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 16, 2004 2:59:37 AM

Begin The Animal quote:

; On a side note, they're building a cell tower at Sharon Country Club. Think
; it's a Sprint tower with the possibility of Nextel, Cingular, and Verizon
; being represented too (sorry, not exactly sure how that works). The
; physical structure itself is already up...

Finally. I should be able to get signal when I visit my aunt.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Fine. But I can't wait to get back to Deeps Space 9 and see your face
when you find out that I never existed!" (Dr. Bashir, ST:D S9 "Trials
and Tribble-ations")
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 16, 2004 3:07:03 AM

This must me the reason I now have signal!!!!

Thanks
Lewis Street will be a great addition!!

"The Animal" <the_animal@yaya.com> wrote in message
> On a side note, they're building a cell tower at Sharon Country Club.
> Think it's a Sprint tower with the possibility of Nextel, Cingular, and
> Verizon being represented too (sorry, not exactly sure how that works).
> The physical structure itself is already up...
>
> "Pete Davis" <pdavis2777@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D 82d3a4f.0411150715.5e4258ce@posting.google.com...
>> http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2004...
>>
>> Verizon Wireless, moving to burnish its industry reputation for the
>> strongest cellular calling coverage, said it has recently activated 12
>> new cell sites in Greater Boston and Northern New England.
>>
>> Because more and more college students are going all-wireless, two of
>> the new sites are specifically aimed at beefing up coverage in and
>> around Boston College and Harvard University. A Cleveland Circle site
>> near BC supplements existing sites in nearby Newton, Brighton, and
>> Brookline. Verizon's new transmitters and receivers on Mount Auburn
>> Street site in Cambridge will reach the Harvard and Radcliffe campuses
>> and stretches of Memorial Drive, Soldiers' Field Road, and Greenough
>> Boulevard.
>>
>> Other recently activated Massachusetts sites include one on Cambridge
>> Turnpike in Lincoln, to increase coverage along routes 2 and 2A in
>> Lincoln and Concord; a new site on Washington Street in Foxborough,
>> covering Route 1 north of Gillette Stadium; and Taunton Avenue (Route
>> 44) in Seekonk, covering that town and neighboring Rehoboth.
>>
>> In Northern New England, the seven new recently activated cell sites
>> and high-usage areas they cover are: Plymouth, N.H., on Fairgrounds
>> Road, Interstate 93 between Lincoln and Plymouth; Woodstock, N.H.,
>> three new sites on Cox Farm, Stone Dam and South Mayd roads that cover
>> the same stretch of I-93; Biddeford, Maine, Alfred Street, Route 1 in
>> downtown Biddeford; Kennebunkport, Maine, Mills Road, I-95 and Route
>> 1; and Wells Beach, Maine, Coles Hill Road, Routes 1 and 9 in Wells.
>>
>> Verizon, which spends more than $1 billion every three months
>> nationwide on adding network capacity, also moved this month to
>> increase coverage in New England by buying airwave spectrum licenses
>> from Nextwave Telecom Inc. for $3 billion. The 23 markets covered by
>> the licenses include metropolitan Boston, Pittsfield, and Springfield.
>>
>> The deal gives Verizon about 42 percent more raw airwave capacity in
>> Greater Boston, much of which will be used in a new BroadbandAccess
>> wireless data service that promises mobile Internet connection speeds
>> of 300 kilobits per second, roughly six times as fast as a dial-up
>> modem, said David Heverling, a Verizon vice president. Verizon has
>> activated the higher-speed service in widescale tests and hopes to
>> begin signing up Boston-area customers soon.
>>
>> Peter J. Howe can be reached at howe@globe.com.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 21, 2004 4:03:45 PM

The new cell site in Lincoln, MA behind the DPW on Lewis St. is scheduled to
go online Tuesday if there are no problems.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 22, 2004 1:12:41 AM

Thanks John.