Windows XP type smoothing & CRTs

nutrod42

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
I prefer CRTs to LCDs, so when I recently got a new Windows XP machine, I got a ViewSonic P225f monitor to go with it (nice monitor, by the way). Using ClearType type smoothing, type looks sort of OK, but I find the color artifacts around the edges of type annoying (this technique is intended for LCDs and is based on the layout of the individual red, green, and blue elements in the display). Unfortunately, the "standard" type smoothing method looks worse, because, for some reason, it doesn't do anti-aliasing on most of the type I see on the screen. For example, on a Google search results page in IE, only the few bold items are anti-aliased.

My question is this: is there some way to activate regular old grayscale anti-aliasing on all type?

Thanks...

Andy

riser

Illustrious
I had the same kind of problem. It works good for select fonts, other fonts it sucks. I work off a laptop all day and I wanted it on because it's easier to read, but when I hit google, it looked like crap. It works for select fonts, but that doesn't help since different fonts are used everywhere.

I looked for a short time on how to fix it.. I ended up giving up and I don't use that anymore.

Riser