HP Laptop Attached To Television

dick

I have an HP ZX 5078cl laptop. It is a great machine with sharp
graphics. I also have a Sony XBR television that has an excellent
picture. Especially on live satellite broadcasts where you can just
about count every whisker on a face. However, when I mate the HP to
the Sony to show a high-resolution picture (uncompressed TIFF 50 MB)
the picture on the Sony is washed out and fuzzy. In fact the Windows
Desktop is barely readable on the TV. At the same time, the same
picture on the HP is sharp and clear. I am using an S-Video
connection between them. Is there anything I can do with the display
settings, etc. to improve this, or is it just the nature of the beast?

Dick

Dick wrote:

> I have an HP ZX 5078cl laptop. It is a great machine with sharp
> graphics. I also have a Sony XBR television that has an excellent
> picture. Especially on live satellite broadcasts where you can just
> about count every whisker on a face. However, when I mate the HP to
> the Sony to show a high-resolution picture (uncompressed TIFF 50 MB)
> the picture on the Sony is washed out and fuzzy. In fact the Windows
> Desktop is barely readable on the TV. At the same time, the same
> picture on the HP is sharp and clear. I am using an S-Video
> connection between them. Is there anything I can do with the display
> settings, etc. to improve this, or is it just the nature of the beast?
>
> Dick

Your TV is only capable of displaying 640x480. Change your desktop
resolution to that.

/dan

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 21:35:18 -0400, Dan Ganek <degspam@comcast.net> wrote:
> Dick wrote:
>
>> I have an HP ZX 5078cl laptop. It is a great machine with sharp
>> graphics. I also have a Sony XBR television that has an excellent
>> picture. Especially on live satellite broadcasts where you can just
>> about count every whisker on a face. However, when I mate the HP to
>> the Sony to show a high-resolution picture (uncompressed TIFF 50 MB)
>> the picture on the Sony is washed out and fuzzy. In fact the Windows
>> Desktop is barely readable on the TV. At the same time, the same
>> picture on the HP is sharp and clear. I am using an S-Video
>> connection between them. Is there anything I can do with the display
>> settings, etc. to improve this, or is it just the nature of the beast?
>>
>> Dick
>
> Your TV is only capable of displaying 640x480. Change your desktop
> resolution to that.

If you want to do better, you either need an HDTV with PC compatible VGA
input, or DVI output from your laptop video. My 5 yr old laptop at
1024x768 looks fine using VGA on my 1280x720 LCD HDTV (which is compatible
with PC modes up to 1280x1024 besides HDTV modes).

dick

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 02:42:45 +0000 (UTC), efflandt@xnet.com (David
Efflandt) wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 21:35:18 -0400, Dan Ganek <degspam@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Dick wrote:
>>
>>> I have an HP ZX 5078cl laptop. It is a great machine with sharp
>>> graphics. I also have a Sony XBR television that has an excellent
>>> picture. Especially on live satellite broadcasts where you can just
>>> about count every whisker on a face. However, when I mate the HP to
>>> the Sony to show a high-resolution picture (uncompressed TIFF 50 MB)
>>> the picture on the Sony is washed out and fuzzy. In fact the Windows
>>> Desktop is barely readable on the TV. At the same time, the same
>>> picture on the HP is sharp and clear. I am using an S-Video
>>> connection between them. Is there anything I can do with the display
>>> settings, etc. to improve this, or is it just the nature of the beast?
>>>
>>> Dick
>>
>> Your TV is only capable of displaying 640x480. Change your desktop
>> resolution to that.
>
>If you want to do better, you either need an HDTV with PC compatible VGA
>input, or DVI output from your laptop video. My 5 yr old laptop at
>1024x768 looks fine using VGA on my 1280x720 LCD HDTV (which is compatible
>with PC modes up to 1280x1024 besides HDTV modes).

Thanks. I am pretty much stuck with the Sony XBR non-HDTV.

Dick

Hi Dick,
I will see if I can word this correctly. A television is only
capable of displaying so many lines. Your HP has, like most of them, an
nVidia Card, which is capable of displaying many more lines than a
Standard television. Most cameras (HD Excluded) Only record so many
lines, therefore, a television does not require as many. When your
laptop sends i.e. 20 lines, your television may only be reading 7 or 8
of them (Depending on your screen resolution) hence the "fuzzy"
picture. Probably the only way to fix this is to purchase an ED or HD
Television with a D-Sub input. this will allow you to connect your
laptop diretly to the television using the 15 pin (Ext. Monitor)
output. There is another way - Lower your screen resolution on your
laptop. Knowing your card, I will assume that it doesn't have a setting
lower than 600x800, so lowering res will only help a bit.

Good Luck!
Matthew

dick

Thanks Mathew.