Configure my own phones on VZW network?

Last response: in Network Providers
November 15, 2004 7:18:54 PM

I was wondering if, once I sign up for Verizon service (currently on AT&T
Wireless in L.A. area, and reception is only so-so on TDMA) if I can
activate different phones when I so choose? Let's say I purchase an LG
VX4500 with good reception here in Santa Monica, but I'm planning a road
trip to the outback, can I deactivate my VX4500 and activate, say, a Nokia
6015I, or even an old Startac. I'm not talking about having more than one
phone active at any one time, but activating different phones at different
times via VZW's website?

--
Regards,

Peter Sale
Santa Monica, CA USA
To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 8:29:19 PM

Peter Sale wrote:
> I was wondering if, once I sign up for Verizon service (currently on
> AT&T Wireless in L.A. area, and reception is only so-so on TDMA) if I
> can activate different phones when I so choose? Let's say I purchase
> an LG VX4500 with good reception here in Santa Monica, but I'm
> planning a road trip to the outback, can I deactivate my VX4500 and
> activate, say, a Nokia 6015I, or even an old Startac. I'm not
> talking about having more than one phone active at any one time, but
> activating different phones at different times via VZW's website?

Sure.. I do it all the time.. Have a Digital only that works great in town,
and activate a tri-mode when going into Analog areas
(mountains/forests/desert/etc).

Be aware that some analog only phones can't be activated (older 3w
bagphones) it's checks the ESN and tells you thats a no-no, tried to do that
before I went out on the boat, but it didn't let me.. However, the ones you
listed above are fine, and I got a few for cheap ($10-$25) on ebay. Just a
hint, I ended up getting an external 3w booster (uses a 12v plug for power,
see cellantenna.com), and activate/use it with the tri-mode when out in the
boonies.

Hint, if you are only gonna change it for a short time, use "in for repair"
as the reason for switching, it ignores the test for the esn having been
used on another account, and lets you switch back real quick too.
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 9:39:03 PM

In news:cNydnVcGB6jz2gTcRVn-rw@adelphia.com,
Peter Sale <psale@adelphia.my-leg.net> typed:
> I was wondering if, once I sign up for Verizon service (currently on
> AT&T Wireless in L.A. area, and reception is only so-so on TDMA) if I
> can activate different phones when I so choose? Let's say I purchase
> an LG VX4500 with good reception here in Santa Monica, but I'm
> planning a road trip to the outback, can I deactivate my VX4500 and
> activate, say, a Nokia 6015I, or even an old Startac. I'm not
> talking about having more than one phone active at any one time, but
> activating different phones at different times via VZW's website?

Yes
November 15, 2004 11:20:54 PM

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:18:54 -0800, "Peter Sale"
<psale@adelphia.my-leg.net> wrote:

>I was wondering if, once I sign up for Verizon service (currently on AT&T
>Wireless in L.A. area, and reception is only so-so on TDMA) if I can
>activate different phones when I so choose? Let's say I purchase an LG
>VX4500 with good reception here in Santa Monica, but I'm planning a road
>trip to the outback, can I deactivate my VX4500 and activate, say, a Nokia
>6015I, or even an old Startac. I'm not talking about having more than one
>phone active at any one time, but activating different phones at different
>times via VZW's website?

Its relatively easy to activate and switch phones on VZW's website.
All you need to do is sign up for an account on the website (its free
and can be done in a few seconds) and the ESN of the phone you want to
switch service to.

For example, I purchased a phone on eBay and I activated the phone via
the website, then I did a *228 (then pressing "1" for phone activation
and the latest PRL update) and it worked just fine.

If you're switching back and forth, no need for the *228 except once a
month or so for a PRL update (using option "2" for PRL updates)

So far, switching back and forth is free. No idea if VZW ever plans to
charge or not.

But to answer your question - you can definately do what you want to
do.

p.s. The best CDMA phone ever made IMHO was the Startac. Wish Moto
still made a phone as good!

Dave
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 4:18:28 AM

Yes.

I've also made a TDMA call via an 'extended area' AT&T Wireless (SID
1711), using my VZW account.

I'd suggest getting a current full list of friendly SIDs and their
frequency allocations for where you're going before you leave. You'll
find Verizon occasionally fails to have agreements with any 800 (AMPS)
providers in an area when they build out their own PCS networks "good
enough", which may leave you in a worse situation than carrying your
handset.

If you're concerned about having good AMPS performance I'd pick up a
Samsung A650. If you need better than that, I suggest an external high
gain antenna. Its amazing the difference a real antenna can make.

Are your problems with AT&T's TDMA based on coverage or simply overload?
I'm just curious.

JS

Peter Sale wrote:
> I was wondering if, once I sign up for Verizon service (currently on
> AT&T Wireless in L.A. area, and reception is only so-so on TDMA) if I
> can activate different phones when I so choose? Let's say I purchase an
> LG VX4500 with good reception here in Santa Monica, but I'm planning a
> road trip to the outback, can I deactivate my VX4500 and activate, say,
> a Nokia 6015I, or even an old Startac. I'm not talking about having
> more than one phone active at any one time, but activating different
> phones at different times via VZW's website?

Anonymous
November 16, 2004 9:50:18 AM

I currently own a Nokia 3560 and I am on AT&T wireless network in the L.A.
area. I'm on AT&T's (now Cingular's) TDMA, not their GSM network.
Currently, my issue is inadequate coverage, not network overload. AT&T
customer service say GSM coverage is much improved since last I tried it,
over a year ago, and are attempting to get me to stay.

As I mentioned early on in this thread, I get great reception with Verizon
in and around the Santa Monica/West L.A. area, even with an LG VX4500 phone,
a phone model supposedly plagued with poor reception. The VX4500 seemed to
have excellent reception where I used it, and it certainly has features
(digital voice commands, an outstanding speakerphone, free VZW to VZW
minutes, etc.) that I want very much.

In any case, I thought I could just purchase two phones, one from VZW when I
sign up and one from eBay, and just switch back and forth as needed.
--
Regards,

Peter Sale
Santa Monica, CA USA
To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

"Jacob Suter" <j4k3@ezho.org> wrote in message
> Yes.
>
> I've also made a TDMA call via an 'extended area' AT&T Wireless (SID
> 1711), using my VZW account.
>
> I'd suggest getting a current full list of friendly SIDs and their
> frequency allocations for where you're going before you leave. You'll
> find Verizon occasionally fails to have agreements with any 800 (AMPS)
> providers in an area when they build out their own PCS networks "good
> enough", which may leave you in a worse situation than carrying your
> handset.
>
> If you're concerned about having good AMPS performance I'd pick up a
> Samsung A650. If you need better than that, I suggest an external high
> gain antenna. Its amazing the difference a real antenna can make.
>
> Are your problems with AT&T's TDMA based on coverage or simply overload?
> I'm just curious.
>
> JS
>
> Peter Sale wrote:
>> I was wondering if, once I sign up for Verizon service (currently on AT&T
>> Wireless in L.A. area, and reception is only so-so on TDMA) if I can
>> activate different phones when I so choose? Let's say I purchase an LG
>> VX4500 with good reception here in Santa Monica, but I'm planning a road
>> trip to the outback, can I deactivate my VX4500 and activate, say, a
>> Nokia 6015I, or even an old Startac. I'm not talking about having more
>> than one phone active at any one time, but activating different phones at
>> different times via VZW's website?

Anonymous
November 16, 2004 9:59:57 AM

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 01:18:28 -0600, Jacob Suter <j4k3@ezho.org> wrote:

>I'd suggest getting a current full list of friendly SIDs and their
>frequency allocations for where you're going before you leave. You'll
>find Verizon occasionally fails to have agreements with any 800 (AMPS)
>providers in an area when they build out their own PCS networks "good
>enough", which may leave you in a worse situation than carrying your
>handset.

I haven't noticed problems with VZW lacking roaming agreements with
850 carriers in 1900 markets; in most cases one or both 850 carriers
is Extended Network and not roaming. (There are some exceptions in
Louisiana.)

There is one area in Kentucky (Richmond/Danville area) where VZW has
no native coverage and no roaming onto either of the 850 carriers; VZW
was roaming on Dobson and had a falling-out with them which resulted
in VZW apparently pulling roaming on ALL Dobson systems nationwide,
and VZW hasn't yet turned up roaming on Cingular. :(

-SC
--
Stanley Cline -- sc1 at roamer1 dot org -- http://www.roamer1.org/
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might

Peter Sale wrote:
> I currently own a Nokia 3560 and I am on AT&T wireless network in the
> L.A. area. I'm on AT&T's (now Cingular's) TDMA, not their GSM
> network. Currently, my issue is inadequate coverage, not network
> overload. AT&T customer service say GSM coverage is much improved
> since last I tried it, over a year ago, and are attempting to get me
> to stay.
> As I mentioned early on in this thread, I get great reception with
> Verizon in and around the Santa Monica/West L.A. area, even with an
> LG VX4500 phone, a phone model supposedly plagued with poor
> reception. The VX4500 seemed to have excellent reception where I
> used it, and it certainly has features (digital voice commands, an
> outstanding speakerphone, free VZW to VZW minutes, etc.) that I want
> very much.
> In any case, I thought I could just purchase two phones, one from VZW
> when I sign up and one from eBay, and just switch back and forth as
> needed.

Yup... What I wrote before (don't know if it ever came thru or not)

Sure.. I do it all the time.. Have a Digital only that works great in town,
and activate a tri-mode when going into Analog areas
(mountains/forests/desert/etc).

Be aware that some analog only phones can't be activated (older 3w
bagphones) it's checks the ESN and tells you thats a no-no, tried to do that
before I went out on the boat, but it didn't let me.. However, the ones you
listed above are fine, and I got a few for cheap ($10-$25) on ebay. Just a
hint, I ended up getting an external 3w booster (uses a 12v plug for power,
see cellantenna.com), and activate/use it with the tri-mode when out in the
boonies.

Hint, if you are only gonna change it for a short time, use "in for repair"
as the reason for switching, it ignores the test for the esn having been
used on another account, and lets you switch back real quick too.
November 16, 2004 7:01:49 PM

Does this only work with Verizon CDMA phones or can I take my old USCC CDMA
9500 Audiovox and switch it?

--
All Email Scanned and declared
Virus Free by Norton Systems 2005

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Peter Sale wrote:
>> I currently own a Nokia 3560 and I am on AT&T wireless network in the
>> L.A. area. I'm on AT&T's (now Cingular's) TDMA, not their GSM
>> network. Currently, my issue is inadequate coverage, not network
>> overload. AT&T customer service say GSM coverage is much improved
>> since last I tried it, over a year ago, and are attempting to get me
>> to stay.
>> As I mentioned early on in this thread, I get great reception with
>> Verizon in and around the Santa Monica/West L.A. area, even with an
>> LG VX4500 phone, a phone model supposedly plagued with poor
>> reception. The VX4500 seemed to have excellent reception where I
>> used it, and it certainly has features (digital voice commands, an
>> outstanding speakerphone, free VZW to VZW minutes, etc.) that I want
>> very much.
>> In any case, I thought I could just purchase two phones, one from VZW
>> when I sign up and one from eBay, and just switch back and forth as
>> needed.
>
> Yup... What I wrote before (don't know if it ever came thru or not)
>

> Sure.. I do it all the time.. Have a Digital only that works great in
> town,
> and activate a tri-mode when going into Analog areas
> (mountains/forests/desert/etc).
>
> Be aware that some analog only phones can't be activated (older 3w
> bagphones) it's checks the ESN and tells you thats a no-no, tried to do
> that
> before I went out on the boat, but it didn't let me.. However, the ones
> you
> listed above are fine, and I got a few for cheap ($10-$25) on ebay. Just a
> hint, I ended up getting an external 3w booster (uses a 12v plug for
> power,
> see cellantenna.com), and activate/use it with the tri-mode when out in
> the
> boonies.
>
> Hint, if you are only gonna change it for a short time, use "in for
> repair"
> as the reason for switching, it ignores the test for the esn having been
> used on another account, and lets you switch back real quick too.

Anonymous
November 16, 2004 7:01:50 PM

Can't say. It may or may not. I have a telular brand system in my cabin
(not sold by verizon, connects to the internal regular phone system and lets
you use regular phones/fax with a cell phone), and that changes over. For
other stuff, I usually experiment with phones on free weekends (usually on
Sundays while football is on TV). Only takes a few secs to change, and will
activate in about 5 mins, and then you do the *228 thing to load a current
PRL... It's probably way anal, but during halftime I usually call a friend
or family to test the phone out. You can actually do it at anytime you want
for free, I just do it on Sundays so the test call to Friends/Family after
the change is free.

HotRod wrote:
> Does this only work with Verizon CDMA phones or can I take my old
> USCC CDMA 9500 Audiovox and switch it?
>

> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> Peter Sale wrote:
>>> I currently own a Nokia 3560 and I am on AT&T wireless network in
>>> the L.A. area. I'm on AT&T's (now Cingular's) TDMA, not their GSM
>>> network. Currently, my issue is inadequate coverage, not network
>>> overload. AT&T customer service say GSM coverage is much improved
>>> since last I tried it, over a year ago, and are attempting to get me
>>> to stay.
>>> As I mentioned early on in this thread, I get great reception with
>>> Verizon in and around the Santa Monica/West L.A. area, even with an
>>> LG VX4500 phone, a phone model supposedly plagued with poor
>>> reception. The VX4500 seemed to have excellent reception where I
>>> used it, and it certainly has features (digital voice commands, an
>>> outstanding speakerphone, free VZW to VZW minutes, etc.) that I want
>>> very much.
>>> In any case, I thought I could just purchase two phones, one from
>>> VZW when I sign up and one from eBay, and just switch back and
>>> forth as needed.
>>
>> Yup... What I wrote before (don't know if it ever came thru or not)
>>

>> Sure.. I do it all the time.. Have a Digital only that works great in
>> town,
>> and activate a tri-mode when going into Analog areas
>> (mountains/forests/desert/etc).
>>
>> Be aware that some analog only phones can't be activated (older 3w
>> bagphones) it's checks the ESN and tells you thats a no-no, tried to
>> do that
>> before I went out on the boat, but it didn't let me.. However, the
>> ones you
>> listed above are fine, and I got a few for cheap ($10-$25) on ebay.
>> Just a hint, I ended up getting an external 3w booster (uses a 12v
>> plug for power,
>> see cellantenna.com), and activate/use it with the tri-mode when out
>> in the
>> boonies.
>>
>> Hint, if you are only gonna change it for a short time, use "in for
>> repair"
>> as the reason for switching, it ignores the test for the esn having
>> been used on another account, and lets you switch back real quick
>> too.
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 10:37:59 PM

I have a Startac 7868 and Verizon says they cannot (will not?) do the ESN
change to that phone (dual band) because it is too old. Not a plan problem,
but they say because it is not trimode (with GSM band). Also, there is a $10
dollar charge for the ESN change.

Andrew

"Peter Sale" <psale@adelphia.my-leg.net> wrote in message
> I was wondering if, once I sign up for Verizon service (currently on AT&T
> Wireless in L.A. area, and reception is only so-so on TDMA) if I can
> activate different phones when I so choose? Let's say I purchase an LG
> VX4500 with good reception here in Santa Monica, but I'm planning a road
> trip to the outback, can I deactivate my VX4500 and activate, say, a Nokia
> 6015I, or even an old Startac. I'm not talking about having more than one
> phone active at any one time, but activating different phones at different
> times via VZW's website?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Peter Sale
> Santa Monica, CA USA
> To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

Anonymous
November 17, 2004 10:38:00 PM

You are ***ONLY*** charged (and lied too) if you go into a store, rather
than change the ESN for free on the verizon website..

I've got a 7868 activated right now (in Vegas but heading into an Analog
area in a few minutes)..

Never heard of GSM on verizon.. Amps and CDMA yes.... GSM?!?!?!?!

AJ Davis wrote:
> I have a Startac 7868 and Verizon says they cannot (will not?) do the
> ESN change to that phone (dual band) because it is too old. Not a
> plan problem, but they say because it is not trimode (with GSM band).
> Also, there is a $10 dollar charge for the ESN change.
>
> Andrew
>

> "Peter Sale" <psale@adelphia.my-leg.net> wrote in message
>> I was wondering if, once I sign up for Verizon service (currently on
>> AT&T Wireless in L.A. area, and reception is only so-so on TDMA) if
>> I can activate different phones when I so choose? Let's say I
>> purchase an LG VX4500 with good reception here in Santa Monica, but
>> I'm planning a road trip to the outback, can I deactivate my VX4500
>> and activate, say, a Nokia 6015I, or even an old Startac. I'm not
>> talking about having more than one phone active at any one time, but
>> activating different phones at different times via VZW's website?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peter Sale
>> Santa Monica, CA USA
>> To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 10:38:00 PM

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:37:59 GMT, "AJ Davis" <ajda@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>I have a Startac 7868 and Verizon says they cannot (will not?) do the ESN
>change to that phone (dual band) because it is too old. Not a plan problem,
>but they say because it is not trimode (with GSM band). Also, there is a $10
>dollar charge for the ESN change.

Cannot comment on the charge (thought you could do it on the website
at no charge, evenif they charge for a person to do it), but the 7868
is tri-mode.

What is being discussed elsewhere is that the lack of GPS, which
prevents their SELLING a 7868, is being treated, SOMETIMES, as
preventing adding it to the system.

I don't know if that is rumor, or fact. If fact, I don't know if it
is FCC regulation or company policy.
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 12:19:18 AM

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:54:54 -0800, "Peter Pan"
<Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>You are ***ONLY*** charged (and lied too) if you go into a store, rather
>than change the ESN for free on the verizon website..

I have a 90s era 3 watt analog bag phone. How do I find the ESN on
this phone? I'd like to be able to activate it when I know I'll be
traveling in areas where digital signal is wonky (I have a Treo 600,
it works well in urban areas, but I do drive in rural areas from time
to time).

jc
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 12:19:19 AM

JC Dill wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:54:54 -0800, "Peter Pan"
> <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
>> You are ***ONLY*** charged (and lied too) if you go into a store,
>> rather than change the ESN for free on the verizon website..
>
> I have a 90s era 3 watt analog bag phone. How do I find the ESN on
> this phone? I'd like to be able to activate it when I know I'll be
> traveling in areas where digital signal is wonky (I have a Treo 600,
> it works well in urban areas, but I do drive in rural areas from time
> to time).
>
> jc

Look inside the battery compartment. Was it on Verizon before? They have a
list of older models they have approved. The original question was about a
moto startac that verizon sold at one time. I haven't had any luck with the
3 watt bagphones on verizon (I hear Alltel still activates them), but I did
get a neat little toy at cellantenna.com that is a three watt booster that
plugs into my regular phone and the vehicle lighter. I leave it in the
glovebox, and hook it to my toyphone (along with an external magnetic base
antenna), and use them when I travel to out of the way areas. I look at it
as the best of both worlds.
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 8:23:50 AM

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:24:05 -0800, "Peter Pan"
<Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>Look inside the battery compartment. Was it on Verizon before?

It was on Cellular One, in the Santa Cruz Mountains area, in the early
1990s (I moved out of the hills in 1995 and then got a handheld phone
on a different cell provider). There is no "battery compartment.
It's a bag phone, the phone is a flat brick unit, the battery is an
external brick that fit in the same pouch in the bag (it's a
day-timer-like folding leather case, with the bag on one side and room
for your day timer on the other), and you plugged the phone into a car
outlet harness on the battery or into the car outlet directly (no
battery required).

The phone has a GTE brand on it (I think Cellular One in our area
bought out GTE?) and was made by Motorola, Model No: 19021waaba

>They have a
>list of older models they have approved. The original question was about a
>moto startac that verizon sold at one time. I haven't had any luck with the
>3 watt bagphones on verizon (I hear Alltel still activates them), but I did
>get a neat little toy at cellantenna.com that is a three watt booster that
>plugs into my regular phone and the vehicle lighter. I leave it in the
>glovebox, and hook it to my toyphone (along with an external magnetic base
>antenna), and use them when I travel to out of the way areas. I look at it
>as the best of both worlds.

That would help except that my phone is a Treo 600, and it doesn't do
analog. The bag phone is analog, so the only way I can get signal in
non-digital areas will be with the bag phone.

jc
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 3:05:23 PM

JC Dill wrote:

> The phone has a GTE brand on it (I think Cellular One in our area
> bought out GTE?) and was made by Motorola, Model No: 19021waaba

Nope. Verizon Wireless bought GTE Mobile. AT&T Wireless bought
Cellular One.

-Quick
!