168.x.x.x IP address question

Is there any reason that the default Windows IP when I can't connect to my
router is 168.x.x.x? Is this a perfectly usable Class B IP address set, ie
could I set a router with DHCP to use, say, 168.168.1.x as its addresses to
assign and still have a perfectly usable network?

Thanks,

Ryan

: Is there any reason that the default Windows IP when I can't connect to my
: router is 168.x.x.x? Is this a perfectly usable Class B IP address set, ie
: could I set a router with DHCP to use, say, 168.168.1.x as its addresses to
: assign and still have a perfectly usable network?

Hi,

There is nothing wrong with that IP address, unless you got a public IP from
the same "class".
Then you'll not be able to connect to that host, as routing for this class is
set for you private network.
So it's better to use class C 192.168.1.0/24 I guess..

Martin

--
Marcin Lukasik
Milea Wireless Communications, http://milea.pl

,,the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys''

When a DHCP server does not respond, the DHCP client picks a random ip in
the 169.254.x.x / mask 255.255.0.0 range.

You can tell your DHCP server to use any IP addresses and range, I think.
Except special addresses like 0.0.0.0 and 255.255.255.255 and 224.????????

What is your real problem?

Do you have connectivity/ Can you ping the machine/router/modem with the
dhcp server on, from a dhcp client on it

Even with DHCP enabled you can still manually override client IP addresses
and be connected. This presents a problem when the DHCP server then tries to
assign that IP to a newly connected client

Unless it's a 'smart' DHCP server...

"Coenraad Loubser" <c10u@ananzi.co.za> wrote in

> When a DHCP server does not respond, the DHCP client picks a random ip
> in the 169.254.x.x / mask 255.255.0.0 range.
>
> You can tell your DHCP server to use any IP addresses and range, I
> think. Except special addresses like 0.0.0.0 and 255.255.255.255 and
> 224.????????
>
> What is your real problem?
>
> Do you have connectivity/ Can you ping the machine/router/modem with
> the dhcp server on, from a dhcp client on it
>
> Even with DHCP enabled you can still manually override client IP
> addresses and be connected. This presents a problem when the DHCP
> server then tries to assign that IP to a newly connected client
>
> Unless it's a 'smart' DHCP server...

Thanks for the reply. I have no problem whatsoever, I was just curious!
Thanks.

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:18:38 -0500, in alt.internet.wireless , Jim
Patterson <jim-patterson@ncf.ca> wrote:

>If it's actually a 169.254.xxx.yyy number,
>this is a standard Windows "auto-configuration" range address, which is
>used if Windows is set for DHCP but can't locate a DHCP server.

Its NOTHING to do with windows, its what a DHCP client is /supposed/ to do
it if can't find a server.

>Apparently, MacOS does the same thing.

And linux, and unix and openvms and..... :)

--
Mark McIntyre

Mark McIntyre wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:18:38 -0500, in alt.internet.wireless , Jim
> Patterson <jim-patterson@ncf.ca> wrote:
>

>>If it's actually a 169.254.xxx.yyy number,
>>this is a standard Windows "auto-configuration" range address, which is
>>used if Windows is set for DHCP but can't locate a DHCP server.
>

> Its NOTHING to do with windows, its what a DHCP client is /supposed/ to do
> it if can't find a server.

I agree that it's not really Windows-specific, since any OS could
implement the protocol. I guess I've only encountered it on Windows, not
being a Mac user. I don't believe that it's what a DHCP client is
"supposed" to do, though, as it's outside of the DHCP protocol. I don't
find any mention of it in the DHCP RFC (2131). The Internet draft I
quoted earlier is basically an add-on to DHCP.

>>Apparently, MacOS does the same thing.
>
> And linux, and unix and openvms and..... :)

I've certainly never seen my Linux system do it (Slackware 10), but it
does seem to be available on other distros. Maybe Slackware's just
behind the times.

Personally, I prefer not having it. I can see its utility if I wanted to
run a workgroup of computers that only communicated with each other, but
as soon as a gateway to the internet enters the picture, something mroe
is needed. I've only ever used the 169.254... address as an indication
that my router is down. Okay... I admit I did use it once to do a
crossover link between two laptops (it saved me assigning some static IPs).

--
Jim Patterson
Ottawa, Ont

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:17:09 -0500, in alt.internet.wireless , Jim
Patterson <jim-patterson@ncf.ca> wrote:

>I don't believe that it's what a DHCP client is
>"supposed" to do, though, as it's outside of the DHCP protocol. I don't
>find any mention of it in the DHCP RFC (2131). The Internet draft I
>quoted earlier is basically an add-on to DHCP.

Its defined by the IETF as the required behaviour if operable routable
address can be determined. This includes when the host is configured to
request an address via DHCP and no server responds within the timeout
period. The block is reserved by IANA for 'linklocal'. I belive this is
currently covered by
http://ietfreport.isoc.org/ids/draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-17.txt

>Personally, I prefer not having it. I can see its utility if I wanted to
>run a workgroup of computers that only communicated with each other,

There's quite a bit of s/w that won't work if your machine doesn't have a
valid IP. It sounds obvious, but networking software often won't work, and
this can stop your machine booting or otherwise starting properly.

--
Mark McIntyre