How good can my computer run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CryoHaze

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
This is my first time building a desktop and was curious to if I could play most extremely demanding games at highest settings like Metro 2033, Crysis 1 & 2, Battlefield 3, etc., on it. These are the specs and if I'm missing something just let me know. (These aren't all the parts)

AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 3.2 GHz
2 Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 CrossFire
8GB of RAM
Microsoft Windows 7

Solution
I would replace the AMD system with Intel.

It wont cost you much extra but you will have a much more solid system at hand.

Replace the motherboard with any Z68 series motherboard and replace that CPU with a Intel I5 2500k cpu(these babies can easily be overclocked to 4.5ghz). Even at stock speeds they make AMD CPUs looks last last gen(yep i typed last 2 times).

The changes will hardly cost you 50USD extra however you will have a beast of a machine. AMD CPUs are obselete and cant compete with Intel CPUs at all.

Your GPU selection is very good 6950 CF is awesome, specially 6950 can easily run near 6970 speeds when OCed. For this sort of GPU setup its strongly recommended you go for Intel I5 2500k. Remeber not to go for the H series of...

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
I would replace the AMD system with Intel.

It wont cost you much extra but you will have a much more solid system at hand.

Replace the motherboard with any Z68 series motherboard and replace that CPU with a Intel I5 2500k cpu(these babies can easily be overclocked to 4.5ghz). Even at stock speeds they make AMD CPUs looks last last gen(yep i typed last 2 times).

The changes will hardly cost you 50USD extra however you will have a beast of a machine. AMD CPUs are obselete and cant compete with Intel CPUs at all.

Your GPU selection is very good 6950 CF is awesome, specially 6950 can easily run near 6970 speeds when OCed. For this sort of GPU setup its strongly recommended you go for Intel I5 2500k. Remeber not to go for the H series of motherboards though, those limit your overclocking potential.

Solution
Agree.
Many people think, having more cores means more performance. This is actually not true. I would replace that CPU with a LGA 1155 motherboard, i.e a Z68 chipset so that you can go for a i5 2500k which is tons more faster than a Phenom X6.

The rest are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.