Sign in with
Your question

BF3 to require EA Origin installation

Last response: in Video Games
August 12, 2011 12:40:14 AM

I'm hoping this isn't nearly as bad as it sounds, but apparently EA will require users to install Origin (EA's proprietary online etail shop) in order to play BF3. I haven't had a lot of experience with Origin, but I can honestly say the short time I've had with it hasn't been the best. It really just feels like an underdeveloped version of Steam, and as far as I can tell it serves no game related or feature enhancing purpose at the moment. Seems like EA is just doing this to boost adoption of Origin, in a rather cheap attempt at increasing their competitive edge against Steam.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1187538p1.html

Not a big fan, seems like bloatware to me ...
August 12, 2011 12:46:18 AM

Well EA's last financial tells the whols story. You see PC is their highest earning platform ahead of any console.

As of their last statement for the last year EA managed:

154 million USD from PC
151 Million usd from Xbox 360
111 million usd from PS3

The PC is skyrocketing because digital sales are very profitable. When a PC version of a game sells 60usd digitally the publisher gets about 40usd as profit.

When the same game is sold on console aka retail the publisher barely gets 15usd. Which means if a PC version of a game were to sell 1million copies, it would be about as profitable as a console game selling around 3million copies.

Now what EA intends to do here is cut out the middle man (steam and later the rest of the digital network). This way EA would keep the entire 60usd for themselves. Can you imagine what sort of profit they would be seeing if this goes through?
August 12, 2011 2:21:39 AM

Not a surpise after Crysis 2 was pulled from Steam. If the entire market wasn't so nuts now might be a good time to buy EA stock.
Related resources
August 12, 2011 7:34:34 AM

kashifme21, thanks for the very good explanation!!
I was wondering why is this fuss lately between EA & Valve, but never searched for details...
August 12, 2011 5:02:45 PM

dragonsqrrl said:
I'm hoping this isn't nearly as bad as it sounds, but apparently EA will require users to install Origin (EA's proprietary online etail shop) in order to play BF3. I haven't had a lot of experience with Origin, but I can honestly say the short time I've had with it hasn't been the best. It really just feels like an underdeveloped version of Steam, and as far as I can tell it serves no game related or feature enhancing purpose at the moment. Seems like EA is just doing this to boost adoption of Origin, in a rather cheap attempt at increasing their competitive edge against Steam.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1187538p1.html

Not a big fan, seems like bloatware to me ...

Note in the T&C's that they can give you 30days notice and then terminate the origin service, not your orgin service, but the service as a whole, so if the business model doesn't work they can ditch it. I brought the euro booster pack for BF2 on-line through EA, I think the service I did that through is defunct and hence that is lost, ok 1.4 solved that, but thats not the point.

For Steam their whole reason for existence is the digital distribution method, so some acountant can't decide its a not profitable enough cost centre and shut it down without killing the whole company, they could with EA.
August 13, 2011 1:07:47 AM

Its DRM. I will have to install another friggen program? Windows friggen live for the games that need that, I use steam because I want to, and theoretically I would need to install this crap. Very lame EA.

Put the damn game on steam, and on your stupid servers if you want.

This kind of stuff leads people to wait for cracks, instead of buying the game...
!