laughjester9000

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Hello,
I am really at a loss. I can't play any of my games on my PC. This started a little more than a month ago. About 5 - 10 minutes into gameplay, it just crashes. The screen goes black and the sound makes a repetitive clicking noise, and when I try to turn it on it says: Going into power off mode. I dusted the computer, which helped for about 5 minutes. Then I thought it was overheating. I checked my CPU-heater and it was fine. It wasn't hot at all. I really need to fix this problem I think I am going insane. http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/pfff.gif

The sad thing is I just bought this computer less than a year ago; I went to best buy and bought their best model. As in, the screens huge, the processor is top-notch, and the graphics card is good.

UPDATE: I have tried everything for the past few months. Updated my system drivers, opened up the case for de-greasing, checking the graphics, such and such. I am not that good with computers, please help me. I haven't been able to play any games for months.

Try checking your CPU cooler's contact with your CPU. You may have to reapply the thermal paste and seat it correctly in there . Since your heat sink isn't getting hot and your computer is shutting down it might have something to do with it overheating due to poor contact with the cooler.

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009

First we need to know your PCs specs.

Get 3 softwares (all of them are free):

Speedfan: this will tell you your CPUs temp

Prime 95: this is a torture test for the CPU, once installed it will ask you which test to run(select the test that stresses the CPU).

MSI afterburner: This reports your GPUs temp and frame rate when you play games.

Step 1: install speed fan, run prime 95, tell us the max temp your system hits after 15mins (if it can last that long that is). If your system makes it past prime 95 then its time to test the GPU.

Step 2: install MSIafterburner go to the settings menu, click the monitoring tab, Tick the options which mention GPU temp monitoring and click ON screen display. When you play games now u will be able to see your GPUs temp.

Tell us both these things and we may be able to help.

Edit: as the above poster mentioned if your heatsink isnt getting warm then its highly likely that its not seated properly. In which case i would recommend you youtube some videos on how to apply thermal paste and how to seat the heatsink (after which u would have to run the prime 95 test to confirm things are stable).

laughjester9000

Distinguished
May 8, 2011

I had someone test my CPU and temperature.

ok so what was the verdict? seems you dont want much help if you are being vague about the situation. What did this person that checked out your CPU and temp say? Did it rule out what we are saying is the problem? If so we need to know so we can move on to different possible issues you could be having.