Can Abit BH6 rev 1.0? mobos run coppermine p3's???

G

I have an ABIT BH6 rev 1.02 mobo, and I am heading for an upgrade..(gonna retire my celery 400@450) , so I need to know once and for all: Do BH6 rev 1.01 1.02 1.03 and so on support Coppermine P-3's , eventhough ABIT faq say they 'probably don't, thanks to power supply probably being insufficient' ???
Anyone with any experience on the subject, please post!

extremity

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2001
In a word "NO" the abit will not support the coppermine, unless there is a specific BIOS update for it and the power supply issue is real, most new M/B`s & CPU`s need 300watts or more

On the Edge of Extremity
Microsoft Registered OEM,DSP,MCP
Custom Building of PC`s.

G

Tell me then, how can it support celeron 700? I really thought celeron 700 was based on coppermine .
And, several people say they run P3-750 and 800's on their BH& rev1.0? 's . So the power supply issue isn't so 'real' , as it seems? Now, I still don't know the answer to my own question, so it would be nice with some more replies :)

Try using a socket adapter to adjust the voltage, and don't worry about the power supply. You can replace it later if needed. I used a 235 watt sparkle power supply on my last athlon and ran it overclocked at 1.33 with no problems. I had a BH6 and it is still one of my favorite boards.

G

Was it a rev 1.0x BH6 though ?
And by socket adapter, do you mean a FCPGA P-3 placed on the mobo with a 'slocket' ?