Sign in with
Your question

BF3: The Future or just another Crysis

Last response: in Video Games

Is BF3 just the beginning or will we have to wait 2-3 years for something as good?

Total: 19 votes (1 blank vote)

• There will be atleast a few DX11 games comparable to BF3.
  • 78 %
  • It's like Crysis and wait till 2014 for something as good.
  • 23 %
August 12, 2011 10:33:49 AM

We have all seen BF3 and it is near photorealistic. The graphics are unmatched by any game out there or announced to be released in the near future.We all hope that BF3 is the beginning of quality DX11 games and a reasonable no of future games(2012-13) will have similar (or better graphics). But I am afraid that battlefield 3 would turn out to be like Crysis 1. Its something that has come way before it's time and other games would take atleast 2-3 years to get comparable graphics.
What are your thoughts?

More about : bf3 future crysis

August 12, 2011 10:44:01 AM

chinuhark said:
We have all seen BF3 and it is near photorealistic. The graphics are unmatched by any game out there or announced to be released in the near future.We all hope that BF3 is the beginning of quality DX11 games and a reasonable no of future games(2012-13) will have similar (or better graphics). But I am afraid that battlefield 3 would turn out to be like Crysis 1. Its something that has come way before it's time and other games would take atleast 2-3 years to get comparable graphics.
What are your thoughts?

Thing is Consoles are holding development of better looking PC games back.

Since most games these days are made as multiplats, consoles being the lowest point of the food chain(games are designed so they must work on 6 year old hardware).

Fortunately new consoles will be coming in a year or two max. Hence you can fully expect games at that time to look better then what we have today.

It will be like jump then again stagnation for another 5-7years.
August 12, 2011 11:43:21 AM

Agree with kash. Simple fact is that BF3 needs to be able to run on consoles, which pretty much GUARANTEES PC players will be able to run it on decent settings. I mean bloody hell, even smartphones will soon be as powerful as current-gen consoles :) 

However, it's been said that PC will be BF3's primary platform. Hopefully this means we get eye candy worthy of DX11 hardware.
Related resources
August 12, 2011 5:34:45 PM

My basic concern is, well look at the top 10 upcoming pc games- Rage, Deus ex, Mass effect 3..... All have hype Graphics wise but compared to BF3, they look like the are 2 years behind. The only games remotely comparable to BF3 are Crysis 2 and Metro(I hate the faces, environment is stunning though). I hope I am wrong but the trailers to upcoming games of 2011&2012 are, depressing to say the least. I think you can't tell if BF3 is a game or a movie from far away.
PS: I agree about the new consoles thing. I think PC fans are waiting for next gen consoles more eagerly than console guys so that we get games we should have got years ago.
August 16, 2011 12:56:14 PM

I was in the Alpha for BF3. This game ran extremely well on both of my computers , i7920 at 3.2 with 8gigs of ram and a 560 Ti and my i2500k oved to 4.5 with 8gigs and slied 570's. At the point at which I was in the Alpha build the game was NOT top notch but looked and played extremely well. With all graphics and effects cranked it will be a system stress but I do not forsee the game being a system crusher in the effects we saw crysis. The new hardware in computers is just to powerful to have a game completely crush it. Especially like others have stated with consoles holding developers back.

Next year is the year of next gen consoles .....maybe then we will see new edge tech in graphics.
August 23, 2011 3:32:00 AM

BF3 wont be the next "crysis". IMHO, It looks quite similar to BFBC2, which changes to shaders, shadows, distruction, the contrast of the colours...and a whole lot of camera shake. Sure it look brilliant and it is an improvment over previouse BF games!!! but it wont be a benchmark like what crysis was/is.
August 29, 2011 9:41:56 PM

kashifme21 said:
Thing is Consoles are holding development of better looking PC games back.

Since most games these days are made as multiplats, consoles being the lowest point of the food chain(games are designed so they must work on 6 year old hardware).

Fortunately new consoles will be coming in a year or two max. Hence you can fully expect games at that time to look better then what we have today.

It will be like jump then again stagnation for another 5-7years.

It is true that most games are made to be best on consoles but Dice has stated that they did not do this. The console versions are going to be dumb down versions of the computer version. Also the computer version will allow 64 players online while the consoles will have 32.
August 29, 2011 10:18:44 PM

CyberBuildPC said:
It is true that most games are made to be best on consoles but Dice has stated that they did not do this. The console versions are going to be dumb down versions of the computer version. Also the computer version will allow 64 players online while the consoles will have 32.

But the design architecture will still be limited by the consoles, unless they make the games completely separately.

-Nih
August 29, 2011 11:40:40 PM

I guess nobody remembers metro 2033 or has gotten to take a gander at metro last light.
August 31, 2011 8:00:37 PM

the OC gtx 460 1G is enough to maxout @ 1920x1080 .. i think am lucky to have it
August 31, 2011 10:53:00 PM

Still playing this because its battlefield. Not because its Dx11.
!