64Bits

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 21, 2005 4:28:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Do you think Oblivion will run on 64 Bit CPU's? (I am not a pc genius so
please explain).

Grev

More about : 64bits

Anonymous
September 22, 2005 11:56:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Dont know about that. They might release a patch for it late, BUT Oblivion
will most probably not come out on 64 Bits. Keep in touch with the Oblivion
forums, they have pretty much all the questions and answers you need there;
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/

> Do you think Oblivion will run on 64 Bit CPU's? (I am not a pc genius so
> please explain).
>

> Grev

Anonymous
September 23, 2005 12:41:12 AM

"Grev" <Grev@go.com> wrote:

>Do you think Oblivion will run on 64 Bit CPU's? (I am not a pc genius so
>please explain).

Morrowind plays fine on them, so I don't know why Oblivion wouldn't.

Or do you mean, will it be a 64-bit ap? If so, I seriously doubt it.
September 23, 2005 7:39:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

> Or do you mean, will it be a 64-bit ap? If so, I seriously doubt it.

That's the question the OP needs to clarify. It will run for sure,
especially when you use a 32 Bit OS, since the CPUs are fully backwards
compatible. If it will be a native 64 Bit app, who knows.
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 10:50:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

He say > "...Do you think Oblivion will run on 64 Bit CPU's?..."

I'm not being rude, but your question is silly....forget whatever your
worrying about, it will be fine on any Windows XP or 2000 system.. (Win 98
....I wonder ??)

mouse
@@@@@
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 1:29:38 AM

Trimble Bracegirdle wrote:
> He say > "...Do you think Oblivion will run on 64 Bit CPU's?..."
>
> I'm not being rude, but your question is silly....forget whatever your
> worrying about, it will be fine on any Windows XP or 2000 system.. (Win 98
> ...I wonder ??)

I think there are too many WIN98s installed to ignore it.
btw, they said in 2002 Morrowind needed at least WIN98 and DX8.1 but I
got it to run on WIN95 with DX8.0 - of course the hotline will not
support such configuration.
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 2:33:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

I play a lot of games and wanted to stay with WIN 98 ....but about six
months back all new games abandoned 98 and I was "forced" (thats the way it
felt) to WIN XP.....I will be surprised if OBLIVION is "allowed" to work
under 98...
What I am (still) angry at the bastards in the industry for is that they did
not need to do this...deliberatly sabotaging games which if "allowed to"
would work ok with98...by using some odd XP icon (thief 3)....with a
pointless reference to an xp only video routine (DOOM3 installer)
..........games use DIRECT X 9, common to all WIN's...."they" could just have
refused support and said "98 not recomended - use at your own risk" ....I
Love to know the arm twisting Microsoft must have applied ...some games like
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory were specified as 98 ok right up to or just
beyond release then the spec. changed to XP only..

Angry mouse (the 1 oo caint spel)
@@@@@
September 25, 2005 2:54:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

>I play a lot of games and wanted to stay with WIN 98 ....but about six
>months back all new games abandoned 98 and I was "forced" (thats the way it
>felt) to WIN XP.....I will be surprised if OBLIVION is "allowed" to work
>under 98...
> What I am (still) angry at the bastards in the industry for is that they
> did not need to do this...deliberatly sabotaging games which if "allowed
> to" would work ok with98...by using some odd XP icon (thief 3)....with a
> pointless reference to an xp only video routine (DOOM3 installer)
> .........games use DIRECT X 9, common to all WIN's...."they" could just
> have refused support and said "98 not recomended - use at your own risk"
> ....I Love to know the arm twisting Microsoft must have applied ...some
> games like Splinter Cell Chaos Theory were specified as 98 ok right up to
> or just beyond release then the spec. changed to XP only..

Get over it, running games under Win98 only makes sense if your computer
lacks the balls to run them under anything else. I have NEVER had a problem
running a game under WinXP.
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 11:10:58 PM

:
:I'm not being rude, but your question is silly....forget whatever your
:worrying about, it will be fine on any Windows XP or 2000 system.. (Win 98
:...I wonder ??)
:
:mouse
:@@@@@
:
Yessss........ You _are_ being rude, by deeming the question as silly.
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 2:43:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

> Get over it, running games under Win98 only makes sense if your computer
> lacks the balls to run them under anything else. I have NEVER had a
problem
> running a game under WinXP.

Make that *current* game. No chance in hell that you'd get Command&Conquer
for Windows 95 to run under XP. Some older DirectX titles call kernel32.dll
functions that simply no NT based OS has.
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 3:06:35 AM

"Dirk Dreidoppel" <dirk.dreidoppel@deadspam.com> wrote:

>> Get over it, running games under Win98 only makes sense if your computer
>> lacks the balls to run them under anything else. I have NEVER had a
>problem
>> running a game under WinXP.
>
>Make that *current* game. No chance in hell that you'd get Command&Conquer
>for Windows 95 to run under XP.

You mean without downloading the XP patch from the publishers website? :)

ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/ccgold/CCGOLDXPPATCH.ZIP
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 4:39:40 AM

Wes wrote:
>>I play a lot of games and wanted to stay with WIN 98 ....but about six
>>months back all new games abandoned 98 and I was "forced" (thats the way it
>>felt) to WIN XP.....I will be surprised if OBLIVION is "allowed" to work
>>under 98...
>>What I am (still) angry at the bastards in the industry for is that they
>>did not need to do this...deliberatly sabotaging games which if "allowed
>>to" would work ok with98...by using some odd XP icon (thief 3)....with a
>>pointless reference to an xp only video routine (DOOM3 installer)
>>.........games use DIRECT X 9, common to all WIN's...."they" could just
>>have refused support and said "98 not recomended - use at your own risk"
>>....I Love to know the arm twisting Microsoft must have applied ...some
>>games like Splinter Cell Chaos Theory were specified as 98 ok right up to
>>or just beyond release then the spec. changed to XP only..
>

> Get over it, running games under Win98 only makes sense if your computer
> lacks the balls to run them under anything else. I have NEVER had a problem
> running a game under WinXP.

Then please tell us how to run Arena under Windows XP. I tried for a
couple of weeks and almost got it working but finally gave up. There
were far too many additional programs needed to get it to work at all
and trying to get everything to play nice was not worth the effort.
There are also a lot of games like the original Wing Commander titles
that will Never work under XP. Between the direct to hardware interface
and the hardware necessary to run XP there is no way they can ever be
made to work.
September 26, 2005 6:11:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

"Michael W. Ryder" <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote in

> Wes wrote:
>>>I play a lot of games and wanted to stay with WIN 98 ....but about
>>>six months back all new games abandoned 98 and I was "forced"
>>>(thats the way it felt) to WIN XP.....I will be surprised if
>>>OBLIVION is "allowed" to work under 98...
>>>What I am (still) angry at the bastards in the industry for is that
>>>they did not need to do this...deliberatly sabotaging games which
>>>if "allowed to" would work ok with98...by using some odd XP icon
>>>(thief 3)....with a pointless reference to an xp only video routine
>>>(DOOM3 installer) .........games use DIRECT X 9, common to all
>>>WIN's...."they" could just have refused support and said "98 not
>>>recomended - use at your own risk" ....I Love to know the arm
>>>twisting Microsoft must have applied ...some games like Splinter
>>>Cell Chaos Theory were specified as 98 ok right up to or just
>>>beyond release then the spec. changed to XP only..
>>

>> Get over it, running games under Win98 only makes sense if your
>> computer lacks the balls to run them under anything else. I have
>> NEVER had a problem running a game under WinXP.
>>

> Then please tell us how to run Arena under Windows XP. I tried for
> a couple of weeks and almost got it working but finally gave up.
> There were far too many additional programs needed to get it to work
> at all and trying to get everything to play nice was not worth the
> effort. There are also a lot of games like the original Wing
> Commander titles that will Never work under XP. Between the direct
> to hardware interface and the hardware necessary to run XP there is
> no way they can ever be made to work.

While I've never tried Arena I had absolutely no problem running Wing
Commander 1 and 2 under XP. I belive (but am not sure) that I used
DOSBox to run these games. I've also been able to get XCom, Alien
Legacy, Starflight II, and numerous other games running in XP by using
DOSBox.
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 10:18:22 PM

Seraphim wrote:
> "Michael W. Ryder" <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote in

>>>Get over it, running games under Win98 only makes sense if your
>>>computer lacks the balls to run them under anything else. I have
>>>NEVER had a problem running a game under WinXP.
>>>

>>Then please tell us how to run Arena under Windows XP. I tried for
>>a couple of weeks and almost got it working but finally gave up.
>>There were far too many additional programs needed to get it to work
>>at all and trying to get everything to play nice was not worth the
>>effort. There are also a lot of games like the original Wing
>>Commander titles that will Never work under XP. Between the direct
>>to hardware interface and the hardware necessary to run XP there is
>>no way they can ever be made to work.
>

> While I've never tried Arena I had absolutely no problem running Wing
> Commander 1 and 2 under XP. I belive (but am not sure) that I used
> DOSBox to run these games. I've also been able to get XCom, Alien
> Legacy, Starflight II, and numerous other games running in XP by using
> DOSBox.

I tried DOSBox with Arena and had to make so many changes to the default
settings and the Config.NT file to get anywhere that I finally gave up.
It was easier to run it on a dedicated Windows 98 computer or under
Windows 2000. My computer may be set up differently from the "normal"
user and I was trying to use the original CD of Arena so this may have
been part of my problems.
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 10:23:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

> You mean without downloading the XP patch from the publishers website? :)
>
> ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/ccgold/CCGOLDXPPATCH.ZIP

Heh, I actually picked the one (?) example where I'm wrong apparently :)
September 26, 2005 10:23:34 PM

"Dirk Dreidoppel" <dirk.dreidoppel@deadspam.com> wrote in message
news:D h97a5$kng$01$1@news.t-online.com...

> Heh, I actually picked the one (?) example where I'm wrong apparently :)

Well, try again.
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 2:00:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

> Well, try again.

I can...I think. I'd have to dig out The Hive for testing, but I'm fairly
sure that it's 9X only.
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 11:07:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Arena should run fine under DosBox. Don't know why your messing with
Config.NT tho since that only deals with NTVDM (NT's emulator to run
16bit programs on Windows). Are you sure you used
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net ?
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 8:52:50 AM

ronald.phillips@gmail.com wrote:
> Arena should run fine under DosBox. Don't know why your messing with
> Config.NT tho since that only deals with NTVDM (NT's emulator to run
> 16bit programs on Windows). Are you sure you used
> http://dosbox.sourceforge.net ?

I had to use another program to get the mouse to work, and could never
get the sound to work. Part of the problem is that I was using the
original CD and my sound is on IRQ 17 which is not supported by DOS.
The computer works otherwise and I was not going to spend a month
getting everything working differently just for Arena. I did this back
in the days of DOS every time Microsoft updated DOS and hated it.
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 11:53:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

It sounds like your confusing NT's Command Prompt (which is built into
NT4/2000/XP/2003), with DosBox (a 3rd party totally free open source
DOS emulator).

Arena is extremly easy to get working under DosBox.

1. Execute DosBox.
2. Mount your virtual C:\ drive in DosBox "Mount c c:\games"
3. change to C: drive "c:"
4. Go to Arena directory. "CD \games\Arena"
5. Execute arena setup.
6. Execute Arena.

You'll have to hit CTRL F11/F12 to speedup/slowdown Arena depending on
your processor speed but that's it. Much easier than configuring
multiple operating systems or playing around with
autoexec.bat/config.sys/autoexec.nt/config.nt files and 3rd party
utilities.

Michael W. Ryder wrote:
> ronald.phillips@gmail.com wrote:
> > Arena should run fine under DosBox. Don't know why your messing with
> > Config.NT tho since that only deals with NTVDM (NT's emulator to run
> > 16bit programs on Windows). Are you sure you used
> > http://dosbox.sourceforge.net ?
> >

> I had to use another program to get the mouse to work, and could never
> get the sound to work. Part of the problem is that I was using the
> original CD and my sound is on IRQ 17 which is not supported by DOS.
> The computer works otherwise and I was not going to spend a month
> getting everything working differently just for Arena. I did this back
> in the days of DOS every time Microsoft updated DOS and hated it.
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 11:23:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

ronald.phillips@gmail.com wrote:
> It sounds like your confusing NT's Command Prompt (which is built into
> NT4/2000/XP/2003), with DosBox (a 3rd party totally free open source
> DOS emulator).
>
> Arena is extremly easy to get working under DosBox.
>
> 1. Execute DosBox.
> 2. Mount your virtual C:\ drive in DosBox "Mount c c:\games"
> 3. change to C: drive "c:"
> 4. Go to Arena directory. "CD \games\Arena"
> 5. Execute arena setup.
> 6. Execute Arena.

No, I was using DOSBox, along with VDMSound, and other programs trying
to get this to work. There was a couple of threads regarding this a
year or two ago. They might have made improvements since then, I don't
know. Also the instructions you are referring to are the ones for the
download version of the program, not the original CD. A final problem
was that my sound card is configured for IRQ 17, which is Not supported
by any DOS that I know of.

> You'll have to hit CTRL F11/F12 to speedup/slowdown Arena depending on
> your processor speed but that's it. Much easier than configuring
> multiple operating systems or playing around with
> autoexec.bat/config.sys/autoexec.nt/config.nt files and 3rd party
> utilities.
>
> Michael W. Ryder wrote:
>
>>ronald.phillips@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>>Arena should run fine under DosBox. Don't know why your messing with
>>>Config.NT tho since that only deals with NTVDM (NT's emulator to run
>>>16bit programs on Windows). Are you sure you used
>>>http://dosbox.sourceforge.net ?
>>>

>>I had to use another program to get the mouse to work, and could never
>>get the sound to work. Part of the problem is that I was using the
>>original CD and my sound is on IRQ 17 which is not supported by DOS.
>>The computer works otherwise and I was not going to spend a month
>>getting everything working differently just for Arena. I did this back
>>in the days of DOS every time Microsoft updated DOS and hated it.

Anonymous
September 29, 2005 9:19:37 PM

Michael W. Ryder wrote:

> No, I was using DOSBox, along with VDMSound, and other programs trying
> to get this to work. There was a couple of threads regarding this a
> year or two ago. They might have made improvements since then, I don't
> know. Also the instructions you are referring to are the ones for the
> download version of the program, not the original CD. A final problem
> was that my sound card is configured for IRQ 17, which is Not supported
> by any DOS that I know of.

IRQ17 shows that you are using a PCI soundcard. If VDMSOUND works on
your system it should emulate an original ISA Soundblaster with standard
ressources like IO:220 IRQ:7 DMA:1 and redirect any sound output inside
the DOS environment to the proper ressources of your PCI sound card
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 10:27:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

My instructions were for the DOSBOX program which you can download from
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net . My instructions were pretty generic and
pretty much apply to any DOS game that you wish to play under DosBox.
Finally DosBox and VDMSound (Which are both totally seperate programs
and should not be used together) do not care if your sound card is on
IRQ 17 or IRQ 666. DosBox is self contained and emulates a SoundBlaster
@ IRQ7 by default. VDMSound emulates an SoundBlaster @ IRQ7 and output
to DirectX using DirectSound which then forwards to the OS which
handles IRQ's. DosBox/VDMSound do not care about your real soundcard,
that's an OS function that they couldn't care less about.
March 18, 2006 8:42:39 PM

Quote:
Do you think Oblivion will run on 64 Bit CPU's? (I am not a pc genius so
please explain).

Grev

Well, modern 64-bit processors, such as the Athlon64, Pentium 4 EM64T lines, and any dual-core processor, actually run in 32-bit mode normally, as they do under Windows XP and any older Windows operating system. So there's no need to worry there. Like most other games, Oblivion will work under a full 64-bit environment, (which requires not just a 64-bit proccessor, but a 64-bit operating system, like Windows XP x64-edition) though the game won't be optimized to run any better there.

So in other words, you have nothing to worry about.
April 27, 2006 9:34:15 PM

Quote:
Seraphim wrote:
> "Michael W. Ryder" <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote in

>>>Get over it, running games under Win98 only makes sense if your
>>>computer lacks the balls to run them under anything else. I have
>>>NEVER had a problem running a game under WinXP.
>>>

>>Then please tell us how to run Arena under Windows XP. I tried for
>>a couple of weeks and almost got it working but finally gave up.
>>There were far too many additional programs needed to get it to work
>>at all and trying to get everything to play nice was not worth the
>>effort. There are also a lot of games like the original Wing
>>Commander titles that will Never work under XP. Between the direct
>>to hardware interface and the hardware necessary to run XP there is
>>no way they can ever be made to work.
>

> While I've never tried Arena I had absolutely no problem running Wing
> Commander 1 and 2 under XP. I belive (but am not sure) that I used
> DOSBox to run these games. I've also been able to get XCom, Alien
> Legacy, Starflight II, and numerous other games running in XP by using
> DOSBox.

I tried DOSBox with Arena and had to make so many changes to the default
settings and the Config.NT file to get anywhere that I finally gave up.
It was easier to run it on a dedicated Windows 98 computer or under
Windows 2000. My computer may be set up differently from the "normal"
user and I was trying to use the original CD of Arena so this may have
been part of my problems.

Can't you just change the settingsto run with windows 98 compatibility??
!