Closed Solved

F.E.A.R. DirectX 8 Shaders

To get more performance out of F.E.A.R. I decided to enable Dx8 shader instead of Dx9. Usually this gives you like a 5-10fps boost but it did the exact opposite. When I enable DirectX 8 shaders I get like a 5-10fps drop instead. How can using more obsolete graphics give worse performance. Is there any specific reason or fix for this because its really bugging me. Thanks. :D
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about directx shaders
  1. What video card? Modern hardware is probably optimised for DX9 and above, so it may well not handle older shaders as efficiently.
  2. Well, that's the weird thing. It's an Intel 945 (GMA 950). That is most definitely NOT a modern video card. With DirectX 9 I get between 9-30 fps. But as soon as I switch to DirectX 8 mode my frame rate just plummets. On other games such as Half Life 2 enabling Dx8 improves performance drastically so why not for Fear?

During the game I checked the Task Manager and Video Card Properties. When I am using DirectX 9 my Cpu usage is at 20%-30%, my RAM usage is 1.25 (out of 2 Gbs) Gigabytes, and lastly my Video Memory in use is 109 megabytes (out of 256mbs). Then I switched to DirectX 8 mode. These are the results I got. Cpu usage was 16%-25%, RAM was still at 1.25 Gigabytes, and My Video Memory usage was only 91 megabytes. DirectX 8 uses a less resources than directX 9 yet it STILL lags more!
  3. Patched the game ?
  4. Gman450 said:
    Patched the game ?

Yep. Patched to 1.08. And before some asks, because I know they will. Yes, I do have the latest drivers for everything.
  5. Have you tried re-installing the game ? Perhaps that may solve your issue.
    And you mentioned that it doesn't happen with Half Life 2 ?
  6. Gman450 said:
    Have you tried re-installing the game ? Perhaps that may solve your issue.
    And you mentioned that it doesn't happen with Half Life 2 ?

Reinstalling didn't do the trick, I've tried. And yeah, enabling directx 8 in Half Life 2 and Gmod (source games) I get like 10 more fps.
  7. Best answer
    What about DirectX ? Is it updated ? Try re-installing from microsoft's website.

If still the problem is not going away, then I'd suggest you put it in DirectX 9 itself and not in 8.
  8. Gman450 said:
    What about DirectX ? Is it updated ? Try re-installing from microsoft's website.

If still the problem is not going away, then I'd suggest you put it in DirectX 9 itself and not in 8.

Every time I try to reinstall directx I get a message saying I already have the latest blah blah blah... I'll give everything a try but if I can't find a solution I'll just use Directx 9. Thanks.
  9. Best answer selected by exciter.
  10. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Performance Directx Video Games