VIA STOPPED SEEING MY CD-ROMS!

It cannot and does not see any of my cd-roms and i updated the bios to the latest build. Abit kt7-RAID is the board. By defauly it installes the stupid via IDE drivers. I change it to the standard IDE PCI drivers and it still does not see any of my cd-roms! It worked before!!!!!!!!!!!

stupid VIA! i will never buy anything VIA again! along with RAID too! stupid VIA RAID crap!!!!

My sig is better then your's!

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So let me get this straight, are you saying that you updated your motherboard's bios and after the update you then lost your cd-rom drives? Does this mean that before the update they were working correctly? If this is the case then I fail to see how this is a VIA problem ( not that they don't have there share). First of you failed to mention what OS and what version of Via's 4n1 drivers you are running.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

it's all about the drivers! and yes via sucks and i think a lot of people would agree with me there.

infact i'm getting this error and yes i know about computers but my fix is not working this time and i'm clueless.

first it says "Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance"

then it says "Drive C is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system."

ok great sounds simple i'll just install the standard microsoft IDE drivers... nope! doesn't work! i get the same bs...

windows 98SE btw ... you would not get this error in any other operating system however! NT is strictly 32bit protected mode unlike win9X which can do both 16/32 bit real/protected mode programs.

the help file basicly says it is using 16bit real mode drivers and i need to update them ??? i did that.. still don't work..

VIA 4 in 1 version 4.31 btw

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Which BIOS did you load and was it one of the beta versions?

There were IDE problems reported with the 3R betas but the final release is supposed to be OK. (I still find the WZ and WZ-b01 BIOSes the most stable but I don't have RAID).

If you go with the 3R BIOS, up from ZT, be aware that Abit is warning that the HPT 1.11.0402 build may wipe a RAID-0 configuration requiring you to rebuild it. Backup your data before upgrading!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 07/20/01 04:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Are your CD-ROMs on either IDE-3 or IDE-4? If they are did you remember to re-enable these ports with the new BIOS? You may also need to update the HPT BIOS even if you don't use RAID.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 07/20/01 04:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

god computers suck.. sometimes...

i got it... btw i have nothing on IDE 3 and 4.. i have a sepperate ATA100 Promise card installed ... apparently the drivers were currupted! go figure! I downloaded the latest VIA driver 4-in-1 4.32 and installed it... afterwards it read my dvd player but not my other 2 cd-roms... this fix i know and was trying to do before.. i just updated the driver to the standard dual PCI IDE controller and it sees it now and everything is a'ok!

thanks btw!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Sometimes I would choose even harsher words for computers problems.

Glad you found the problem but you might have mentioned the Promise card. You probably don't want to mess with a working configuration but you might want check if Promise has any documented issues.

TRENDING THREADS