So dumb it hurts

evil_homer

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
If you look down a few posts you will find one whos's title reads "Almost boots". I responed to this post at about 12:30. At about 1:00 i was in the same boat. I turned on one of my other computers to find that it would not post.
It's componets are as follows

A7A mobo Award BIOS
T-bird 800
128mb SDRAM pc 100 (single stick)
geforce 2 mx
Realtek PCI Network card
250 watt power supply
cd-rom
floppy

Basicly what happens is when I turn it on the CPU fan starts as well as the fan on by geforce 2 and the CD-ROM LED comes on, but no beeps and no post. As far as I can tell it's not the board, and it dosen't look like it would be the power supply. Any help.

evil_homer

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Holding down the insert key did not work, just out of curosity what was it suppost to do?
Anyways no my system is not overclocked, and no the last thing I changed was my IP and that was several days ago
Thanks for the post though got anything else

G

the other day i tried to switch my power supply from 115V to 225V (same power supply, just flipped a switch on the back of it), and it did the exact same thing. i don't know what could be causing it

evil_homer

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I'm starting to think that the chipset got fryed somehow. Can't think of how though. Anyways if you have any luck post it for the love of god post it.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try holding down the insert key while your system is starting.
<b>Insert</b> key is used in <font color=red>Abit mobos</font color=red> only. He has <b>A7A</b> which is <font color=red>Asus's</font color=red>.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try to set your mobo as <b>Jumperfree mode</b>, and turn it on and off a few times. It should reset your <b>BIOS</b> to <b>Safe mode</b> so it can boot.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

Ummm, I know it sounds dumb, but it fits your topic, and it's happened to me before.

Sometimes one of your PCI cards comes partly out, and causes this, try just aking them out, and putting them back in, it's worked for me.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
250w? You have to be kidding! Really? What made you think it would work? If it ever did work, it's probably fried by now.
Why? When I first built my Athlon comp a year ago, I was using 250W PS with my TB700 overclocked to 850 without any problem for 3 months until I upgraded mine to 300W (I added a lot stuffs as 2 SCSI HD and CD Burner).
Nonetheless, I think he should get at least 300W PS.

evil_homer

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Nope thats not the cause tryed booting without any cards and still nothing. But the problems are similar to those of a board not passing a power check, or that of one being fryed, I'm just not sure yet.

evil_homer

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Well I replaced the A7A with an old board with a KT-133 VIA chipset and it works fine but if you guys have any other ideas please post them. Thanks

G

You can try to clear the CMOS though I doubt it will work. On the A7A266 you have to UNPLUG the system and use a flat head screwdriver(CAREFULLY) to short 2 tiny solder bubbles directly below the batery. They are labeled "CLRTC". Again I dount this will work but it is worth a try.

I believe the problem could be a bad processor. I got my system in the other day and in shipment the processor went bad and it had the exact same problem using the same MB. Let us know.

Please do not pee in the gene pool!

atavus

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2001
I was having the same problem when I built my comp with an A7A /w 1.33 and Geforce 3. I eventually had to take it into a shop, because I thought the something was bad. It turns out that a jumper was set wrong when it was shipped to me. Unfortunately, I did not think to ask them which jumper it was. Make sure that you are in jumper free mode, and that the auto voltage is enabled. I know that the jumper for the auto voltage was also missing.

I would also suggest that you unplug everything from the board, except for the video card, and see if any hard drives, etc. are shorting out and causing the problem. Also make sure that the board is not in contact with the case. If it were, then it is possible it is arcing, and causing the problem. I have seen that problem before.

Hope all that helps. Best of luck!

<b>P</b>eople for the
<b>E</b>ating of
<b>T</b>asty
<b>A</b>nimals

nyt

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2001
Your AMD killed itself. I've witnessed the same problem with an AMD Duron 700 on an Asus A7Pro board.

--
Intel inside, AMD outside.

evil_homer

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Nope not the processor it's working fine in one of my older boards, and I've already tried the Jumperfree setting and I've tryed taking the board out of the case to elminate the possibialty of a ground. I just don't know what to do anymore but if you have any more ideas please post them I realy loved that board.

TRENDING THREADS