G

Hi all,
Sorry I had posted this on the other forum but I need to know.
I have a SCSI scanner , its on a ISA card =o( . I noticed on the scanner it has a cable connection for other devices, I was wondering if its a good idea to add extra devices on this expansion slot or get another scsi card/pci and use that instead?.

Whats the bad on the ISA slot anyway?

Also just been reading about problems with changing from the dedicated scanner card to a universal SCSI card on PCI slot. Also interesting about USB being so slow, my ol' scanner is An Acer Prisa 610S and still think it does a great job.Dont want to part with it, cost me a pretty penny.

Thanx in advance..

shuke

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
If you already have a scsi card, use it. Unless the device that you're gonna add has a data throghput that will fill to the rim for the present scsi card that you have.

If you want to use a new and faster scsi card, also by all means get it. The scanner can still work. That Acer Prisa 610S, if I am correct, is the same as Umax 610S (I own one) and I don't use its supplied ISA card now but instead a PCI scsi II card.

There is no problem indeed with using that scanner with another scsi card. What I did is I install the scsi card first. Then I proceed to install the software that come with the scanner. This will install the driver for the ISA scsi card too. Reboot. I then go to Device Manager and remove the ISA scsi card. 'ON' the scanner and reboot. Tada the scanner is detected.

It don't come easy.......not always.

PS: I don't have any devices connected to the scanner.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can use your scanner on any SCSI card, you can usually use other devices on your old SCSI card with the scanner. The SCSI card that comes with most scanners is a single device Adaptec card that actually works with multiple devices even though it's not supposed to. I have my Astra on a 2940 card.

Video killed my Radio Card!

G

Ok, since we are on the issue. I have had problems with an old Umax 1200S scanner trying to get it to work on a PCI SCSI card (Adaptec 2906).

The card that originally came with the 1200S is an ISA card for which you need to manually select the I/O port (usually something like 220, 240, etc.) When I try to use the scanner with the new SCSI card, the drivers for the scanner act as though they can't find the scanner. I went through and even manually set it up so nothing was using I/O addresses between 200 and 2ff (think that's correct off the top of my head) except for the PCI SCSI card. The drivers still flake out and act as though they can't find the scanner. The infuriating thing is that, in Win98, I can go through and have it do a Windows "Scanner Test" from the control panel and it detects the scanner. It even fires it up and moves the scan light briefly, but that's only a test and doesn't provide any TWAIN functionality. The SCSI card also detects the scanner in it's setup utilities. I also went through the DOS interface and setup up the SCSI card so that it is only going 5 MB/s on that external SCSI port as well as trying synchronous and asynchronous transfer modes.

What I'm afraid of, is that the Umax scanner drivers are simply too old to get the job done with a PCI based SCSI card. For note, I'm using the 2.43 Drivers for the 1200S because they are the most recent that work with the version 2.9 firmware in the scanner. There are version 3.X drivers for the series out there, but they also require newer firmware for the scanner. At this point, it would be cheaper to just buy a new scanner than buy the firmware upgrade. If, however, anyone has some suggestions on how I might be able to get around this without any further expense, I'm all ears.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain

G

First of all, the feedback has been excellent and thankyou to all who replied.

Two little questions:
I noticed on the back of the Acer/Umax610s there is a dial with 10 positions from 0-9 and a round 9 pin fem' port. Whats that all about?

G

Whats the best SCSI/PCI controller card around for multiple devices ( like 10 or 15) ?

:wink: <font color=red>Is there a help group forum</font color=red><font color=green> for forum addiction?</font color=green> :cool:

G

reckon this is for scsi ID, got an agfa snapscan that has one of these as well

Cheers

D

G

Thanx, but it dont help none!
:smile:

<font color=blue>Is there</font color=blue><font color=orange> a help group forum</font color=orange><font color=purple> for forum addiction?</font color=purple>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I noticed on the back of the Acer/Umax610s there is a dial with 10 positions from 0-9 and a round 9 pin fem' port. Whats that all about?
Guessing, I'd say the round dial is SCSI ID select, (although I don't understand why it goes to 9 instead of just 7) and the round female is power. Could be wrong, though.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

Hmmm, 0-9 could be as you say select for devices! dunno. Why 7?
9pin power? another dunno
Thanx for your reply.. :wink:

<font color=blue>Is there</font color=blue><font color=orange> a help group forum</font color=orange><font color=purple> for forum addiction?</font color=purple>

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
For some unknown reason that appears lost in the history of the mid eighties, most SCSI devices seem to come with 7 set as their default address.

Don't forget that when stringing together SCSI devices, you need to ensure that the last in the chain can act as a terminator or you need to get a termintor to add to the end of the chain.

--------------------------------

Look at the size of that thing!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Hmmm, 0-9 could be as you say select for devices! dunno. Why 7?
Standard SCSI bus specs call for available ID's 0-7. Usually the controller needs it's own ID and most times wants to take #7, so you are then left with 7 available device ID's

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>