HDD (ATX,UDMA etc.,DIMM,RIMM,PCMCIA)

G

1. About HDD interface,

What's the difference:

-- UDMA 33/66/100
-- Ultra 160 & 160-LVD

What is UDMA, Ultra, LVD ???
Which is better ???
What's the nos. above indicate (speed or else ??)

===========================
What's the difference:

ATX
Micro ATX
Flex ATX

Which's better ???

======================
3. What is SO-DIMM, DIMM, RIMM, Rambus-RIMM ??
What're their differences ??
Which's better ??

What is PCMCIA (like USB, PCI, ISA BUS ??) ??
What're differences between PCMCIA and 'em

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No one in their right mind can answer you questions of "which is better" unless you tell us:

> Is this a home computer or a mission critical server...what are you using it for man?

> Do you have to stay within a certain budget or is your last name Onassis?

Once you help us out a little more, we can tell you which is "better" and also help you out as to how they differ.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

G

> Is this a home computer or a mission critical
> server...what are you using it for man?
I use at home...
Use mainly for documentary processing (eg word, excel)
Seldom play games, mainly 2D, average requirements.

> Do you have to stay within a certain budget or is your
> last name Onassis?
Onassis ?? What does it mean ??
Actually no ideas on the budget on HDD... But what I need is:

1st Stable and safe (not easy to get bad sectors)
2nd Price
3rd loading etc. speed and related quality
etc.

Thx for your answer in advance.

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
UDMA - Ultra Direct Memory Access, a modern variant on the integratde drive electronics (IDE) HDD tree, the 33/66/100 are peak physical transfer rates.

ULTRA 160 / 160 LVD. LVD = low voltage differential, describes part of the signalling methodology of this version of ULTRA SCSI. Ultra is not an acronym it's just meant to mean very fast. SCSI - Small Computer Systems Interface. again 160 is the peak physical transfer rate.

Which is better depends on budget and application. 160 LVD is quicker then UDMA 100 and supports more devices in one chain and more types of devices, downside it costs a lot more.

1394 - the standard number for a transfer system called firewire - if you're talking HDD I'd ignore this for the moment, if you have firewire devices for example a camera, worry about it.

ATX formats/ depends on budget and what size case you want on your desktop.

DIMM - Dual in line memory module
RIMM - Rambus in line memory module - makes rambus rimm a bit of a misnomer

SO-DIMM - don't know .

RIMM should theoretically be quicker, but they fail to deliver the goods and are very expensive, stick to DIMMs or if possible DDR-DIMMS (Double Date Rate DIMM these can read the memory twaice per clock cycle and therefore quicker)

PCMCIA - a device port for portable computers, comes in several flavours as the standards have improved over time. PCI and ISA are buses internal to the PC (i.e they are on the motherboard and you plug cards into them to make your PC a more fun experience)

USB - Universal Serial Bus is an external bus (i.e you get a USB connector on front or back of your PC) that you can connect things such as scanners, cameras, keyboards, mice etc to.

--------------------------------

Look at the size of that thing!