Upgrades for my computer

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Hi folks,

I want to upgrade my 7 year old bog-stock computer. Please suggest some upgrades for this build. I am mainly interested in getting a graphics card, but I'm not sure about the graphics interface. I think its a PCI. Check the photos please.

If this information isn't enough, I suppose I can add a photograph of the entire motherboard with all the components?

My old man gave me the desktop to work on during my final school year. Wouldn't be of any harm if it can be made to play some games too :D Formatted it and its working perfectly like the day we built it. Here are my system specs with CPU-Z. Sorry about the large photos, couldn't make them any smaller.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Firstly what I'd like to ask is, if you're really into hardcore gaming. If you are then I'd suggest you build another rig as this one's too old to upgrade. Even if you do upgrade, you'll need to upgrade the entire system .Or if you're a simple gamer without any need for modern games with all eye candy turned on, then a simple AGP card would suffice.
You've got an old Intel D865GVHZ board with an AGP slot.

But you're call first.

that rig was old 5 years ago... and your asking for upgrades... lolz...
if your very lucky you may have a 775 board that will take a core 2 quad...
but thats where your luck ends. as your gfx is likely agp... and there is a very limited choise and you will pay over the offs for what you could get... so, your gonna need a whole new setup my friend if you want a gaming setup that is...
if you just want movies and net then what you have is fine ...

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Thanks for the replies guys. No I'm not a hardcore gamer of any kind, and I'm not looking to play the most recent games. I would like to be able to play games that are 5 - 6 years old: NFS Underground 2, Most Wanted etc, Left 4 Dead, GTA San Andreas and Vice City etc.

I mainly want to play Live For Speed, GTR, GTR2 and Richard Burns Rally. These are racing sims, and they are not graphics intensive, but they do require a graphics card of some sort to play smoothly.

My budget for a graphics card is up to $60 ... better than forking out $700 for a new computer in my opinion. Could you please suggest a few good ones?

I should note that my power supply is only 230w, would a graphics card still be able to run on that?

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

Thanks Gman450! I'll try and find that graphics card. More suggestions would be much appreciated, in case I don't find the FX5500.

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Hi guys! Seems like luck is on my side, I found 4 different AGP cards! Here they are:

GeForce 8400 / 8500 - New - $40
ATI 9200 - Used - $20
GeForce 6200 - Used - $20
NX7800 GS - Used - $25

Please let me know which one among those is the best (considering my system specs and so on). One thing I didn't think of... are there any risks when buying a used graphics card (apart from it not working, viruses etc.?)

Sorry, I'm so inexperienced in this stuff. I read a lot about the newer PCI Express cards, but I'm new to the (outdated) world of AGP cards.

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Hey I should note that all the used cards don't come with any CDs or drivers... and they're all chucked into a drawer with no anti-static bags... should I be worried about that? If its too risky, then I'll just go with the brand new one. Better safe than sorry :)

Forde3654Eire

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

Probably the best idea, just hoping it'll run fine with my system. I assume the box it comes with will include system requirements. Will let yee guys know how my games go. Cheers!