Sign in with
Your question

Upgrades for my computer

Last response: in Video Games
August 14, 2011 3:54:13 AM

Hi folks,

I want to upgrade my 7 year old bog-stock computer. Please suggest some upgrades for this build. I am mainly interested in getting a graphics card, but I'm not sure about the graphics interface. I think its a PCI. Check the photos please.

If this information isn't enough, I suppose I can add a photograph of the entire motherboard with all the components?

My old man gave me the desktop to work on during my final school year. Wouldn't be of any harm if it can be made to play some games too :D  Formatted it and its working perfectly like the day we built it. Here are my system specs with CPU-Z. Sorry about the large photos, couldn't make them any smaller.

More about : upgrades computer

August 14, 2011 5:14:12 AM

Firstly what I'd like to ask is, if you're really into hardcore gaming. If you are then I'd suggest you build another rig as this one's too old to upgrade. Even if you do upgrade, you'll need to upgrade the entire system .Or if you're a simple gamer without any need for modern games with all eye candy turned on, then a simple AGP card would suffice.
You've got an old Intel D865GVHZ board with an AGP slot.

But you're call first.
August 14, 2011 4:10:43 PM

I think this is not even worth upgradeing... Better buy a new rig.
Related resources
August 14, 2011 4:25:43 PM

what is your budget? you will need to upgrade your entire rig if you want to play any recent games
August 14, 2011 5:39:35 PM

Yep, give us your budget and we will throw a few suggestions your way.
August 14, 2011 6:06:46 PM

that rig was old 5 years ago... and your asking for upgrades... lolz...
if your very lucky you may have a 775 board that will take a core 2 quad...
but thats where your luck ends. as your gfx is likely agp... and there is a very limited choise and you will pay over the offs for what you could get... so, your gonna need a whole new setup my friend if you want a gaming setup that is...
if you just want movies and net then what you have is fine ...
August 16, 2011 3:20:33 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. No I'm not a hardcore gamer of any kind, and I'm not looking to play the most recent games. I would like to be able to play games that are 5 - 6 years old: NFS Underground 2, Most Wanted etc, Left 4 Dead, GTA San Andreas and Vice City etc.

Gman450 said:
Firstly what I'd like to ask is, if you're really into hardcore gaming. If you are then I'd suggest you build another rig as this one's too old to upgrade. Even if you do upgrade, you'll need to upgrade the entire system .Or if you're a simple gamer without any need for modern games with all eye candy turned on, then a simple AGP card would suffice.
You've got an old Intel D865GVHZ board with an AGP slot.

But you're call first.

I mainly want to play Live For Speed, GTR, GTR2 and Richard Burns Rally. These are racing sims, and they are not graphics intensive, but they do require a graphics card of some sort to play smoothly.

My budget for a graphics card is up to $60 ... better than forking out $700 for a new computer in my opinion. Could you please suggest a few good ones?

I should note that my power supply is only 230w, would a graphics card still be able to run on that?
August 16, 2011 4:08:09 PM

+1 Gman450, as thats about as good as your going to get with both your budget and power restrictions.
August 16, 2011 4:56:04 PM

Gman450 said:
Not only are AGP cards more expensive, they don't give you as much performance as a standard PCI-e GPU.
I can suggest you the FX 5500, it's a good AGP card and will run on a 230 W PSU with no problems. I ran it with a 230 W too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks Gman450! I'll try and find that graphics card. More suggestions would be much appreciated, in case I don't find the FX5500.
August 16, 2011 5:54:58 PM

Which country to you live in ? Ill see if i can help.
August 16, 2011 6:07:10 PM

Uther39 said:
Which country to you live in ? Ill see if i can help.

Saudi Arabia.
August 16, 2011 6:29:02 PM

EEEk, dont know where to even start on that one?
August 16, 2011 7:20:21 PM

Haha I thought so. I'll just have to look around and hope for the best.
August 16, 2011 7:26:56 PM

Good luck. Do let us know how you get on, are there even any internet based PC component retailers in Saudi Arabia?
August 16, 2011 10:00:10 PM

Hi guys! Seems like luck is on my side, I found 4 different AGP cards! Here they are:

GeForce 8400 / 8500 - New - $40
ATI 9200 - Used - $20
GeForce 6200 - Used - $20
NX7800 GS - Used - $25

Please let me know which one among those is the best (considering my system specs and so on). One thing I didn't think of... are there any risks when buying a used graphics card (apart from it not working, viruses etc.?)

Sorry, I'm so inexperienced in this stuff. I read a lot about the newer PCI Express cards, but I'm new to the (outdated) world of AGP cards.
August 17, 2011 1:18:39 AM

Hey I should note that all the used cards don't come with any CDs or drivers... and they're all chucked into a drawer with no anti-static bags... should I be worried about that? If its too risky, then I'll just go with the brand new one. Better safe than sorry :) 
August 17, 2011 4:58:17 AM

Get t.he new one.
August 17, 2011 7:51:45 AM

Uther39 said:
Get t.he new one.

Probably the best idea, just hoping it'll run fine with my system. I assume the box it comes with will include system requirements. Will let yee guys know how my games go. Cheers!
August 17, 2011 11:05:20 AM

The AGP 8400GS would be better from all the others you mentioned.
August 17, 2011 4:55:29 PM

Excellent! Good thing its brand new too! I'm just wondering if it will run alright on my 230w power supply Gman450, or would I need a stronger one?
August 17, 2011 10:29:08 PM

Hi again fellas, here's the graphics card! :D  I got the name wrong back there, its an 8600GT not 8400.

August 17, 2011 11:25:55 PM

Guys... are you sure this is an AGP slot??

August 18, 2011 2:25:16 AM

Crap... I'll try and return or at least exchange the card... so this is a PCI slot only? Not PCI Express right?
August 18, 2011 5:55:06 AM

Forde3654Eire said:
Crap... I'll try and return or at least exchange the card... so this is a PCI slot only? Not PCI Express right?

that is correct, PCIXpress is a 2.0 slot and will work with the latest cards being a x16 slot. search a few things online and further your research, if you want to game then you may have to upgrade, but i know very little about old tech; maybe some of the Old school PC gamers might have somethign for you as far as suggestions that may fit your current build
August 18, 2011 11:13:10 AM

8600GT is a PCI-E X 16 card and not an AGP card. Get the AGP 8400GS. And yes, it too can run on a 230W PSU.
August 18, 2011 1:20:06 PM

The connector on the card is clearly an AGP, and the box says it too on the bottom right-hand corner... I'll just take the PC to the shop where I bought the card and ask them to fit the proper one... just hoping they'll refund or at least exhange the AGP card...
August 18, 2011 2:02:46 PM

Hmmm, didn't know AGP versions for 8600GT were available.
ALSO: Don't you have a AGP slot ?
August 19, 2011 12:24:19 AM

Gman450 said:
Hmmm, didn't know AGP versions for 8600GT were available.
ALSO: Don't you have a AGP slot ?

I dont see one on his board, just a PCI slot- not PCIE or AGP. he needs a new board or somethign to work with the open slot he has
August 19, 2011 4:54:59 AM

out of all the cards you have put up the best 1 for gaming with a dx9 based system is the 78gs. the reason it has more shaders and rops than any of the other cards and is the only true gaming grade card in the bunch.. it may not support dx10 or 11 but it will work well with any dx9 game and give good fps 2.
August 19, 2011 5:56:17 AM

im a pc noob but i hope you can get a good system going. pc is hard to figure out especially once you want ati69xx or n5xx and the throw liquid cooling in the mix. just get those games you want and try to run them you possibly can on min settings. i know vice city will run and if not save save save for a new one or buy a ps2 on ebay because that pc has no hope
August 19, 2011 7:24:11 AM

I would suggest removing that post before you start trouble. I understand you are frustrated at society and such, but this isnt the place for a political/ethical rant
August 19, 2011 11:05:58 AM

^+1
Don't talk about stuff like that here. No-one wants to hear it.
Edit that post..
August 19, 2011 3:44:17 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
I would suggest removing that post before you start trouble. I understand you are frustrated at society and such, but this isnt the place for a political/ethical rant

ok now you gota delete the post you quoted me so its off here. and im sorry hope your pc gets up and running
August 20, 2011 2:23:18 AM

It's all good now guys. After some negotiating with the retailer, finally managed to get a full refund for the AGP card. There are no PCI cards here in Saudi Arabia, I phoned a few major computer stores in Jeddah, nothing whatsoever.

If I want a card, I'll have to buy it off Newegg or similar and get it shipped here. Apparently, the good ones cost around $80 - $100. .. I only want something that's cheap but will do the job alright. Also, it might not run off the 230w power supply, I might have to buy a new one. Now its getting ridiculous.

If anyone can recommend a good PCI card at a low cost, that will run fine off my 230w power supply, I'll be more than happy.

I have no idea how much the price of shipping will be. However, I do get books mailed from Ireland now and then, with a shipping fee of only around $10... would it be safe enough to send over the graphics card (box and all) through regular mail? Or does it risk getting broken?
August 20, 2011 3:37:28 AM

There aren't many PCI cards, apart from a few, like the ATI 9250 but it's slower than a FX 5500. You're better off building another rig.
You'll only waste your money on upgrading that 7 year old rig.
August 20, 2011 3:44:43 AM

Point is, I'm not going to build a new rig, because this computer works fine. I'll most likely be taking it to college with me and have it for at least the next 4 - 5 years.
August 20, 2011 3:54:39 AM

Then you're best bet is to buy a good PCI card. I'll do some research and find a good one for you. :) 
August 20, 2011 4:00:37 AM

Gman450 said:
Then you're best bet is to buy a good PCI card. I'll do some research and find a good one for you. :) 

Thanks, but please don't get it wrong again mate! :na:  I was really surprised and shocked when the AGP card wouldn't go in :ouch:  Are there any specific types of PCI (not express) graphics cards? Memory type just to say? My computer has DDR RAM. I don't want to buy a PCI card and find it won't fit into my PCI slot, because say it might need some specific PCI graphics card...
August 20, 2011 4:05:01 AM

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
That's a FX5500 PCI card. AND yes, it's NOT a PCI-Express nor AGP. It's out of stock though.

And really sorry that I got it wrong. When I found out the model no. of your motherboard, I was sure you had a AGP slot, but it turns out that it didn't. Again, I'm really sorry.
August 20, 2011 4:23:05 AM

dude for gaming get a used 360 online they are pretty good as far as backward compatability goes and use the pc you have now for web browsing and rebuy and completely rebuild later
August 20, 2011 4:30:05 AM

Backward compatibilty on what ?
August 20, 2011 4:47:19 AM

well 360 will play any previous gen gta and current gen nfs, left for dead is on there and it looks like thread starter likes racing sims forza motorsport 1+2 are original xbox. anyway just get a 360 for now and build a pc when you have extra cash. you know get a good case, at least a 1200 psu and a greatly reviewed mobo with option to xfire or sli at least 3x , the rest can come later.
August 20, 2011 11:20:04 AM

tjosborne said:
dude for gaming get a used 360 online they are pretty good as far as backward compatability goes and use the pc you have now for web browsing and rebuy and completely rebuild later

I'm not really the console type of person. I grew up with the PC. Ever since then I've always favoured PC gaming over console gaming. My brother and I shared the price of an Xbox 360, I hardly ever use it. I do play Forza 3 from time to time, and yes its fun, but that's about it. I'm just not drawn towards it like PC gaming.
August 20, 2011 11:39:48 AM

Gman450 said:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
That's a FX5500 PCI card. AND yes, it's NOT a PCI-Express nor AGP. It's out of stock though.

And really sorry that I got it wrong. When I found out the model no. of your motherboard, I was sure you had a AGP slot, but it turns out that it didn't. Again, I'm really sorry.

Thanks mate. Never mind, mistakes happen. I'll wait for the FX 5500 to re-stock or I'll search for it elsewhere. Otherwise, I'll just go for either of these 2. What do you think of them?

Also, it seems from your choice that the video card's RAM type has to be identical to the RAM type of my computer. In other words, DDR computer = DDR video card. Am I right?
August 20, 2011 12:39:30 PM

Among those, I'd choose the 6200. It will give you more performance than the FX 5200, so go for it.
And to answer you're second question.
No
You don't need the same trype of double data rate to put in a GPU.
For example.
I have a single DDR2 stick, and I can hold a DDR2, DDR3 and GDDR5 cards. :) 
RAM type doesn't have to be similar.
August 20, 2011 2:00:28 PM

why dont you buy another motherboard with a pic-e gfx socket on it. they go for about $30
but really your flogging a dead horse with that pc. your will spend more on upgrades than its actualy worth. for instance a stick of ddr 400 will set you back $50+ and thats for 512MB.
for its price i can buy 2x2GIG sticks of ddr3 memory...

seriously m8 get $500 and buy a decent bare bones and start upgrading it... you can have an i5 for a start and decent gfx eventualy.
August 20, 2011 2:42:09 PM

Here's the problem now mate. Computer parts are very expensive here. For example, I was checking out a P67 motherboard, 'bout $100 in the US. Here they're $300.

There are no unlocked processors here for overclocking, and even the low-end ones here are very expensive. Price of Sandy Bridge versions are through the roof, people here still run Core 2 Duo and Pentium.

There's a system that the guys at the local computer store built. Pentium 4, G41 (or something similar) motherboard, no graphics card. Price = $500

To sum it up, I would end up paying roughly $1000 for a budget gaming pc that should cost $500, which simply isn't right. I had considered all this and done all the maths prior to beginning my thread here on the forum.
August 20, 2011 2:46:10 PM

I've got the same problem in my country as well. Importing the cards from U.S only makes it expensive. We don't have any manufacturers of GPUs in India. Just distributors who import the cards. They generally cost more than what's really the price of the card.
But the price problems are not as hard as yours though.
!