Motherboard and CPU question

G

I have a system right now but i want to replace the cpu/mobo... Is it just a matter of pluging the new equiptment in and going through setup or do i have to format my harddrives and everything?/ becuase im keeping my harddrive/videocard/ram from my old system and just plugging it into my new mobo (It's all compatible)
so do i need to format or anything?

Do i need to format everything off? or can i just reinstall windows.. What if both motherboards are from the same company (asus) and have the same ATA-100 drivers?

And, do you need to format every drive on the computer? or just the one that windows is on?

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You won't need to reinstall or format your HD. Windows will redetect all hardwares when you swap the new mobo in. I'd done the same with my Asus mobos (From A7V to A7V133).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

awesome man! this is soo great.. i dont want to format again (dont ask)

and i have the same mobo's as you aswell. so it'll definitly work.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First, you need to copy <b><font color=red>A7V133 motherboard CD's content</b></font color=red> (It has all neccessary drivers for your new mobo) to your HD because after swapping mobos, Windows wouldn't be able to access CD-ROM (it wouldn't have IDE driver loaded at that time). When it asks for driver, just point it to where you save it.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First, you need to copy <b><font color=red>A7V133 motherboard CD's content</b></font color=red> (It has all neccessary drivers for your new mobo) to your HD because after swapping mobos, Windows wouldn't be able to access CD-ROM (it wouldn't have IDE driver loaded at that time). When it asks for driver, just point it to where you save it.

G

where would i find A7V133 motherboard CD's content? and what would it consist of?

I know i could probably find it on the CD.. i'm just wondering where i should save it to aswell..

thanks for your help.. im a n00b :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Just copy the drivers for the motherboards features chipset and whatever is onboard to your C: drive from the CD. After that I would go into Safe Mode and remover all devices from device manager, then switch the boards, and it might work fine.

Video killed my Radio Card!

G

which devices would these be?? wouldnt windows just recognize the new hardware automatically and replace the old stuff?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
?? wouldnt windows just recognize the new hardware automatically and replace the old stuff?
Well, it probably would but by deleting them like Crash suggested you will be cleaning out the references from the registry, which if not done has been known to cause problems in some cases.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

Yeah, it'll TRY to replace all the drivers, but the New drivers that it requires will be on the CD That came with your motherboard (because most of the hardware didn't exist when Windows was released), unfortunately without the required drivers, it won't be able to access the CD-Rom to get the required drivers from the CD. so the solution is to copy it to your hard drive where windows CAN Read from without special Drivers. (This doesn't make much sense to me since without IDE Drivers you shouldn't be able to read an IDE Hard Drive either, *OR* windows should be able to read a CD-Rom no matter what, but who am I to question the functionality of Windows)

Andre

G

Ok... but how do i remove the drivers in there now?

start > settings > control panel > Add/Remove Hardware

is that how i do it?? and if it is, which ones do i remove? the ones in system? or somthing

thanks for your help, you guys are lifesavers :)

thank you!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Just go into the device manager (Start -> Settings -> System -> Device Manager) and click on each of your devices (Video/Sound/Modem/NIC/Whatever) then click remove.

G

and i should remove everything (video card/sound card, etc)?? or just the motherboard?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
There really isn't a "motherboard" in the list. All the componenets in total comprise the motherboard. You can start by removing all your peripherals (video/sound etc.). I wouldn't mess around with the system stuff (although someone else may have a different opinion on this). See how it goes with the new board. If you have problems you can try removing more.

G

Yeah alright... that sounds good... I'll just remove all the drivers, put in the new motherboard, install the mobo software, then reinstall all the drivers..

does that sound about right?

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My suggestion.
Just plug in your new mobo and CPU, and start it up. Since Windows won't load drivers for hardwares that do not exist in your comp, you won't have to remove anything!

G

hmm alright... Then load in the drivers for the motherboard when the computer asks for it? if i do it this way would the computer be to read from the CD drive?

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Like I said before, you need to copy Mobo's drivers into your HD first (by using old system) because Windows can't access CD at that time, then replace your new mobo and CPU. Finally, start up your comp and when Windows asks for drivers, point to where you save them.

G

cool.. alright :) i've been making a little cheat cheat kinda thing with instructions... here's what i have so far..

1: copy motherboard drivers onto harddrive
2: turn off computer
3: unplug computer and replace motherboard
4: plug everything back in
5: turn computer one
6: go into bios and setup the new motherboard
7: boot to windows and point motherboard towards drivers
8: finished

does that sound about right?