Sign in with
Your question

Return To Castle Wolfenstein Woes

Last response: in Video Games
June 22, 2003 4:46:17 AM

Yesterday I installed a new motherboard, HDD and CPU in my system. I reinstalled Windows XP and reinstalled return to castle wolfenstien and the game keeps locking up at radom times or when ever I try to load a saved game. When it locks up, the whole system becomes non-responsive and I have to do a hard restart. When windows performs error checking when this problem happens, it never finds any corrupted files.

I have tried uninstalling / reinstalling the game to no avail. The game worked fine in my old system.

Here are the components I have:
-Athlon XP 2500+ CPU
-A7N8X-DX sys brd
-ATI Radeon 7000 vid card
-512 DDR PC2100 (generic brand)
-Western Digital 60gb HDD

I had some problems with my system having physical memory dumps constantly after I installed windows XP, but that was resolved when I installed the nForce chipset drivers. Other than that there are no problems with the system.

When Wolf freezes up its allways when I try to load a game, or at random points throughout the game, I cant get past the first two levels because of it.

Any tips on how to resolve this would be greatly apreciated.
June 22, 2003 2:45:20 PM

What are you using for a power supply? Are you using on-board sound?
June 22, 2003 3:44:03 PM

I am using the integrated sound and I am using a 350w Okida power supply.

Last night I tried uninstalling / reinstalling my graphics driver and running some DVD's to see if the system was simply chocking on graphics, but the problem is only happening during wolfenstein. :(  I love that game... <g>
Related resources
June 23, 2003 12:18:39 AM

Does it freeze during any 3D applications (other games)? Or *only* in RtCW?

Something to try in the mean time; Try turning off the sound completely in the game and see if that has any effect on the crashing.
June 23, 2003 5:11:45 AM

Only happening in RTCW, I have tried several other 3D games including Commanche 4, Sim Theme Park, Microsoft Combat simulator, SOF II, etc... All install and run flawlessly. I ran DVD's on my system last night, 4 in a row and about 10 today (in spite of the heat) and not a single freeze or memory dump.

RTCW is only freezing when I try to load a game or when I go between levels during the game. (Status bar gets to 90% than system locks up). I have uninstalled / reinstalled quite a few times. I will try running without the sound and report back the results.

Thanks
June 23, 2003 5:46:13 AM

Welp, I am tickled confused.

I tried exciting the nForce audio tray, froze in the second round when I got to the top of the tower where the two snipers are.

Rebooted, went into MSconfig, unckecked everything not needed. restarted, only ATI drivers in the sys tray, tried to load a game, crashed. Windows reported an error in wolfsp.exe caught in an "infinate loop" and closed. Went back to the Desktop, and that aint bad!

Tried again, started a new game and it froze during the intro to the first round.

BAH! Now what will I do when I feel like killing NAZI's? Travel back in time? I may just hang on to my old sys brd, and CPU and use it as a dedicated Wolf system <g>
June 23, 2003 1:21:05 PM

I had a similar problem, and never could quite figure out what was the source of the problem. I fixed the problem by a clean reinstall of the OS.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies
June 23, 2003 2:49:45 PM

That is probably the wisest course of action. I dont perticularly like spending 4 hours reinstalling and "re-registering" all my software... but I am jonsing for wolfie!
June 23, 2003 3:36:54 PM

I'll bet you a dollar it will work if you try different RAM stick(s).

<font color=red>Proudly supporting the AMD/Nvidia minority</font color=red>
June 24, 2003 4:04:06 AM

LOL... After spending four hours formating, reinstalling and testing... I am not to sure if I would even enjoy the game again... should I get it going. Teehee... Reinstalling O/s didn't nail-er.

I am planning on getting some more RAM in the next few weeks. So, I will test it out than... Oh Boy... LOL... i would have thought a new MoBo and CPU would have made my life better! <g>

Say... what are the chances it could be a problem with the nForce chipset not handling the data required for the game?
Also, I checked msinfo32 and the nForce PCI to AGP steering and my Radeon 7000 vid card seem to be sharing the same memory ranges.
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB Radeon 7000 / Radeon VE
Any chances that is a conflict that could cause the problem or more likely resource sharing? My bet is on resource sharing... But I aint a S/w wiz....
June 27, 2003 2:44:09 PM

Fixed it... Dunno what was causing the problem. Tried some RAM from my buddy, same issue. Reinstalling the OS didn't do'er. I ran Norton windows repair utility from Norton System works, it corrected about 30 registry entries pertaining to my graphics drives and tada... Wolf runs fine now and better than ever!

Thanks to all who helped!
!