Acer Ferrari 4000 REVIEW

CS986

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
Hey guys,

I went ahead and ordered the Ferrari from CDW (since they have a 30 day return policy) so i could see just what it was like. As of right now, I am impressed with both the build quality of this machine as well as the performance.

PHYSICAL

-Mostly plastic constuction, solid tho, not the cheap plastic.

-Carbon fiber top is very firm and does not flex unless unreasonable pressure is applied.

-wrist rests and area surrounding keyboard and touchpad is rubber-like coated, but isnt sticky, just non-slip feeling.

-touch pad has great response, is not too sensitve to tapping, buttons are stiff at first, but get better. they are slightly more noisy than some, but honestly, if that bothers you, than just use the tap function.

-ridged plastic (where power button and quick keys are) not cheap like i thought it would be, solid.

-keyboard is nice feeling, keys have very little rocking ability, not loud or light feeling either, firm and well done. curve takes some getting used to, but is nice, when you sit with the laptop on your lap, your hands naturally want to point towards each other, and the curve fits that position perfectly.

-red sides are plastic, not contact point at all though, so it shouldnt be an issue.

-speakers are small and lack bass (obviously), but do get rather loud.

-screen is non-glare and i like that. My desktop screen has the Sony Xbrite coating, so when I dock the laptop i use that. The matte finish on the laptop is nice for outdoor use. Resolution is excellent as is color quality, blacks, whites, and greys. refresh is games is fine, Doom 3 is the only graphics intense game ive loaded so far but it runs great (FPS and pic quality).

-not important, but Ferrari logo on inside is set into the case, so its not annoying to put your wrist on or anything.

-battery has very good life, 2.5 hrs with bluetooth and wireless internet on. 1.5 - 1.75 hrs of gaming.

-fan noise is audible, but not annoying, any music or background noise will hide it.

SOFTWARE

-Windows XP Pro comes preloaded (unless you get the x64 version), with surprisingly very little preloaded (unlike Dell and all the other companies that shove more AOL adds and spyware on there than you get in a year of internet surfing).

-comes with DVD and CD burning software as well as backup software to make your own ISO backups. Norton 2005 is included with a 2 month trial, the other usuals are there too.

More to come later as I think of things to add. Please post if you have any specific questions or comments. Thanks.

CS

RichPLS

Champion
Cool, good to hear ya like it so far!

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>