Second hard drive

Greetings;

I have an HP Pavilion xt938 that I've had about 3 years.

I have a second hard drive (Maxtor) that's been installed for about one year
without problems. Now I am getting an error message that the drive is not
formatted. In My Computer it shows the drive letter but no size.
I did recently defrag it with PerfectDisk, but I don't believe it's the
first time I've done that.

Do I have to reformat it and lose all data that's on it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Henk Verwey

Replace the motherboard C2032 CMOS battery first. It's cheap and easy. The
symtoms could be caused by either a CMOS battery out of juice or a failing hard
drive. Next, download the Maxtor hard drive diagnostics and run them. The
diagnostics will tell you what's wrong (if anything) 1000x better than Windows
scandisk ever could... Ben Myers