i300 on Verizon network

Last response: in Network Providers
November 16, 2004 1:01:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I recently bought a Samsung i300 phone on eBay that suggested that it would
work on the Verizon network. I have been unable to get it to work, and I
think the reason is that my phone number was ported-over from Sprint. From
what I can determine, when a number is ported (at least to Verizon) there
are then two phone numbers that work in concert with one-another to somehow
achieve using a number from another carrier on the Verizon network. Again,
I don't know the details about how exactly this works, but in going into my
existing system programming section of my current phone and prior phones
that is how it seems to be. The i300 doesn't allow this two-number scheme,
which I think is at the heart of the problem.

Anyone have any experience or have any problems with
local-number-portability using older equipment? Does anyone know how this
two phone-number thing works?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Herron

More about : i300 verizon network

Anonymous
November 16, 2004 1:59:39 AM

E Herron wrote:
> I recently bought a Samsung i300 phone on eBay that suggested that it would
> work on the Verizon network. I have been unable to get it to work, and I
> think the reason is that my phone number was ported-over from Sprint. From
> what I can determine, when a number is ported (at least to Verizon) there
> are then two phone numbers that work in concert with one-another to somehow
> achieve using a number from another carrier on the Verizon network. Again,
> I don't know the details about how exactly this works, but in going into my
> existing system programming section of my current phone and prior phones
> that is how it seems to be. The i300 doesn't allow this two-number scheme,
> which I think is at the heart of the problem.
>
> Anyone have any experience or have any problems with
> local-number-portability using older equipment? Does anyone know how this
> two phone-number thing works?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Herron

I can actually confirm that there are three items used to identify a phone to a
wireless carrier now that portability is in effect.

ESN: the phone's Electronic Serial Number (has always been used)
MTN: the phone's Mobile Telephone Number (has always been used)

I can't recall the name of the third, but it's unique to the carrier you're using.

If your phone number has never been ported to another carrier by yourself or
anyone else, that third number will be the same as your MTN. Otherwise, it will
be different.

November 16, 2004 2:07:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Steve, thanks. I may be out-of-luck using this phone on the Verizon network
without giving up my phone number, and that's not going to happen...
Appreciate your help.

Herron

sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
November 16, 2004 12:09:00 PM

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:59:39 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>I can actually confirm that there are three items used to identify a phone to a
>wireless carrier now that portability is in effect.
>
>ESN: the phone's Electronic Serial Number (has always been used)
>MTN: the phone's Mobile Telephone Number (has always been used)
>
>I can't recall the name of the third, but it's unique to the carrier you're using.

MSN. Can't recall what it stands for. Can't find a definition on
google...
November 16, 2004 3:17:16 PM

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:59:39 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
> wrote:
>

>>I can actually confirm that there are three items used to identify a phone to a
>>wireless carrier now that portability is in effect.
>>
>>ESN: the phone's Electronic Serial Number (has always been used)
>>MTN: the phone's Mobile Telephone Number (has always been used)
>>
>>I can't recall the name of the third, but it's unique to the carrier you're using.
>

> MSN. Can't recall what it stands for. Can't find a definition on
> google...

Microsoft Network. :)

I thought it was MSID? (Mobile Station ID, perhaps MSN == Mobile Station Number?)

November 16, 2004 3:49:27 PM

I seem to remember Sprint PCS saying that if you wanted to activate a
new phone/line or change to a different model phone on an old line,
whether the number was previously ported or not, that phone needed the
newer tech that provided for portability.
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 3:49:28 PM

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> I seem to remember Sprint PCS saying that if you wanted to activate
> a new phone/line or change to a different model phone on an old line,
> whether the number was previously ported or not, that phone needed the
> newer tech that provided for portability.

Yes. Absolutely - the phone needs to be able to store the actual phone number
used to call you as well as that carrier-specific ID (whose name I can't
remember). This is true regardless of carrier. If your phone doesn't support
LNP you can't port your number without buying a new phone.

November 17, 2004 4:47:02 AM

Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message news:<cndn75$1kl$2@ratbert.glorb.com>...
> Evan Platt wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:59:39 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
> > wrote:
> >

> >>I can actually confirm that there are three items used to identify a phone to a
> >>wireless carrier now that portability is in effect.
> >>
> >>ESN: the phone's Electronic Serial Number (has always been used)
> >>MTN: the phone's Mobile Telephone Number (has always been used)
> >>
> >>I can't recall the name of the third, but it's unique to the carrier you're using.
> >

> > MSN. Can't recall what it stands for. Can't find a definition on
> > google...
>
> Microsoft Network. :)
>
> I thought it was MSID? (Mobile Station ID, perhaps MSN == Mobile Station Number?)

ESN : MDN : MSID
with sprint thats what is used to program a phone
MDN the handsets #
MSID usually matches MDN but not after WLNP and 3G data , SIP (PTT)
came about
Sprint still programs handsets by hand , yet VZW will use OTA (over
the air) to program the handsets.
more to come
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 6:33:58 AM

However, what I have been able to do, since I have more than one copy
of the same old, not portable, model phone, is change phones within the
same model. Like when I left one at my parent's house 110 miles away,
or while I dried one out. Yes it worked fine after it was dry.
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 3:52:44 PM

mike.sprint wrote:

> MSID usually matches MDN but not after WLNP and 3G data , SIP (PTT)
> came about
> Sprint still programs handsets by hand , yet VZW will use OTA (over
> the air) to program the handsets.
> more to come

Right, right, the MSID will be the same as the phone number if you haven't
ported your number to another carrier....