Why am I getting lower fps with DX11 than DX9 while playing WoW?

Hey guys,

I'm running WoW on Acer Aspire with i5 480M, a nVidia gt 540m, and 4gb of ram. From everything I've heard, I'm supposed to see an increase in FPS with DX11, but i get about 15 more fps when in DX9. Is something messed up? Anyone had this issue?

Thanks!
14 answers Last reply
More about lower dx11 playing
  1. Generally speaking, when using the same settings, Dx11 is faster than Dx9, but often times games that offer a Dx11 path included extra visual effects which counteract the advantage and usually ends up lowering FPS.
  2. But as far as I know DX11 offers no difference in quality on WoW, only a performance boost, which I am not benefiting from ):
  3. Given that you are using a mobile graphics card, the problem may be in the drivers. Mobile graphics cards aren't supported nearly as well as desktop cards.
  4. So would a driver update help? I've seen somewhere that you can download other driver than the ones offered by nVidia. Would something like that help?
  5. It's worth a try.
  6. Okay, thanks. Yeah just checked system information and despite having the latest driver, it says the DirectX version is 10.
  7. bystander said:
    Given that you are using a mobile graphics card, the problem may be in the drivers. Mobile graphics cards aren't supported nearly as well as desktop cards.

mobile graphics cards use the same drivers....?
  8. this is like asking why you run slower up hill than down hill. In general DX11 = more visual effects = more processing required. You may need to turn off effects to get acceptable performance.
  9. cbrunnem said:
    mobile graphics cards use the same drivers....?

No, they don't use the same drivers.
  10. cbrunnem said:

They offer new drivers at the same time. They label by the same number, but they are different drivers. Try downloading them, you will see the mobile is labeled as a notebook driver, the other a desktop driver.
  11. bystander said:
    They offer new drivers at the same time. They label by the same number, but they are different drivers. Try downloading them, you will see the mobile is labeled as a notebook driver, the other a desktop driver.

true and they are different sizes to. you are right. looks can be deceiving
  12. I've heard from numerous sources that the quality is not affected by DX11 in WoW. The majority of people experience performance boosts. I updated my drivers and still the same result. Any ideas anyone?
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming World Of Warcraft FPS Video Games