Sign in with
Your question

Why am I getting lower fps with DX11 than DX9 while playing WoW?

Last response: in Video Games
August 15, 2011 2:26:24 AM

Hey guys,

I'm running WoW on Acer Aspire with i5 480M, a nVidia gt 540m, and 4gb of ram. From everything I've heard, I'm supposed to see an increase in FPS with DX11, but i get about 15 more fps when in DX9. Is something messed up? Anyone had this issue?

Thanks!
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 15, 2011 2:35:13 AM

Generally speaking, when using the same settings, Dx11 is faster than Dx9, but often times games that offer a Dx11 path included extra visual effects which counteract the advantage and usually ends up lowering FPS.
August 15, 2011 2:37:24 AM

But as far as I know DX11 offers no difference in quality on WoW, only a performance boost, which I am not benefiting from ):
Related resources
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 15, 2011 2:44:45 AM

Given that you are using a mobile graphics card, the problem may be in the drivers. Mobile graphics cards aren't supported nearly as well as desktop cards.
August 15, 2011 2:46:53 AM

So would a driver update help? I've seen somewhere that you can download other driver than the ones offered by nVidia. Would something like that help?
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 15, 2011 2:48:50 AM

It's worth a try.
August 15, 2011 2:53:11 AM

Okay, thanks. Yeah just checked system information and despite having the latest driver, it says the DirectX version is 10.
August 15, 2011 3:12:17 AM

bystander said:
Given that you are using a mobile graphics card, the problem may be in the drivers. Mobile graphics cards aren't supported nearly as well as desktop cards.

mobile graphics cards use the same drivers....?
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 15, 2011 3:22:02 AM

this is like asking why you run slower up hill than down hill. In general DX11 = more visual effects = more processing required. You may need to turn off effects to get acceptable performance.
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 15, 2011 3:46:06 AM

cbrunnem said:
mobile graphics cards use the same drivers....?

No, they don't use the same drivers.
August 15, 2011 4:11:30 AM

bystander said:
They offer new drivers at the same time. They label by the same number, but they are different drivers. Try downloading them, you will see the mobile is labeled as a notebook driver, the other a desktop driver.

true and they are different sizes to. you are right. looks can be deceiving
August 15, 2011 3:12:27 PM

I've heard from numerous sources that the quality is not affected by DX11 in WoW. The majority of people experience performance boosts. I updated my drivers and still the same result. Any ideas anyone?
!