Finding ESN on StarTac phone

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
November 16, 2004 11:29:21 AM

I have an old but very reliable Startac 7868W phone that I would like to use
in analog areas occasionally. It looks like the VZW website makes this an
easy change, but how do I identify the ESN on this phone. It's probably one
of the numbers under the battery, but it is not obvious. Many thanks.
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 12:52:31 PM

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:29:21 -0600, "Bart" <Bart7@isp.com> wrote:

>I have an old but very reliable Startac 7868W phone that I would like to use
>in analog areas occasionally. It looks like the VZW website makes this an
>easy change, but how do I identify the ESN on this phone. It's probably one
>of the numbers under the battery, but it is not obvious. Many thanks.

My sticker says ESN(DEC): 082050xxxxx.

It also gives a serial number (apparently hex as the letter C appears)
which matches theone I see on
MainMenu|PhoneOptions|PhoneInfo|SerialNum

Surprises me that they aren't the same ... live and learn
November 16, 2004 5:55:36 PM

"Bart" <Bart7@isp.com> wrote in message
>I have an old but very reliable Startac 7868W phone that I would like to
>use in analog areas occasionally. It looks like the VZW website makes this
>an easy change, but how do I identify the ESN on this phone. It's probably
>one of the numbers under the battery, but it is not obvious. Many thanks.

Go under the Main Menu, Phone Info. It will show you the HEX version of the
ESN. Its also on the label under the battery. Some of the Startacs didn't
show the DEC version of it (11 digit #) on the lable and instead listed the
HEX there also. Not sure if the online ESN changer allows HEX versions or
not but if it doesn't, I can convert it for you to the DEC form.

KC
November 16, 2004 5:55:37 PM

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:55:36 GMT, "_KC_" <kc@kc.com> wrote:

>"Bart" <Bart7@isp.com> wrote in message
>>I have an old but very reliable Startac 7868W phone that ...
>

>Go under the Main Menu, Phone Info. It will show you the HEX version of the
>ESN. Its also on the label under the battery. Some of the Startacs didn't
>show the DEC version of it (11 digit #) on the lable and instead listed the
>HEX there also. Not sure if the online ESN changer allows HEX versions or
>not but if it doesn't, I can convert it for you to the DEC form.

KC, I tried to send an email but your address in the header bounces.
If you are willing to address the question below, send me a valid
address. gbynum (symbol) att net

Just read your post, but didn't want full ESN/SN on usenet ... and am
PUZZLED.

Sticker has
ESN(DEC): 082050xxxxx
SN: 524xxxx

Viewing in the screen gives 524xxxx

Microsoft's calculator for XP does conversions, and they do not (seem
to)
have any relationship.

Taking the ESN(DEC) to hex, I get 1E90xxxxx
Taking the SN to decimal, I get 13807xxxxx

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 5:55:38 PM

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:20:51 -0500, GeorgeB <nospam@att.net> wrote:

>Sticker has
>ESN(DEC): 082050xxxxx
>SN: 524xxxx

ESN should be all you need.

>Viewing in the screen gives 524xxxx

Serial number is just a serial number.

>Microsoft's calculator for XP does conversions, and they do not (seem
>to)
>have any relationship.

They won't.

>Taking the SN to decimal, I get 13807xxxxx

The serial number isn't needed.

Evan
November 16, 2004 7:35:52 PM

The ESN decimal will not convert mathematically to
HEX. There are some sites (Google) which can do it
for free. Also, be aware, that although you can enter
the ESN into the MyAccount ESN slot, your phone
may not work on all VZW analog sites. It may send,
but it may not receive. If you Google the StarTac you
may find a site which will show you where to find
the ESN etc..
November 16, 2004 8:26:42 PM

> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks,

As Evan said, that ESN Dec # is only thing you need. I have ESN converter
that will change HEX to DEC or vice versa. As long as you have the DEC, you
don't really need the HEX. If you are curious to what it is, just look
under Phone Info on the Main Menu, it always lists in HEX format.

KC
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 8:52:15 PM

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:26:42 GMT, "_KC_" <kc@kc.com> wrote:

>> What am I missing?
>>
>> Thanks,
>
>As Evan said, that ESN Dec # is only thing you need. I have ESN converter
>that will change HEX to DEC or vice versa. As long as you have the DEC, you
>don't really need the HEX. If you are curious to what it is, just look
>under Phone Info on the Main Menu, it always lists in HEX format.

Note; I was not the one asking the question, rather answered that my
ESN was on my label, then asked another question. The SN on the
label, and the SN in the phone are the same; the ESN does not appear
in a phone screen, at least not where I've found it.
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 1:57:28 AM

"Bart" <Bart7@isp.com> wrote in message
> I have an old but very reliable Startac 7868W phone that I would like to
use
> in analog areas occasionally. It looks like the VZW website makes this an
> easy change, but how do I identify the ESN on this phone. It's probably
one
> of the numbers under the battery, but it is not obvious. Many thanks.

Just remember, you need to program the MIN into the handset, as its NOT OTA
compliant.

Anonymous
November 17, 2004 8:16:08 AM

In article <qedkp01tt6ne3lljk3hn0lu0tahq5o0bh2@4ax.com>,
Evan Platt <evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:20:51 -0500, GeorgeB <nospam@att.net> wrote:
>
>>Sticker has
>>ESN(DEC): 082050xxxxx
>>SN: 524xxxx
>
>ESN should be all you need.
>
>>Viewing in the screen gives 524xxxx
>
>Serial number is just a serial number.
>
>>Microsoft's calculator for XP does conversions, and they do not (seem
>>toc have any relationship.

That is because it is not a simple single HEX-DECIMAL conversion. The
string of decimal digits has to be broken up into several groups, in a
way not apparent from the way it is printed, and each group separately
converted to HEX.
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 8:21:51 AM

In article <sBvmd.45403$QJ3.4530@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik <DRFafoofnik@rumpledanus.com> wrote:

>"Bart" <Bart7@isp.com> wrote in message
>> I have an old but very reliable Startac 7868W phone that I would like to
>use
>> in analog areas occasionally. It looks like the VZW website makes this an
>> easy change, but how do I identify the ESN on this phone. It's probably
>one
>> of the numbers under the battery, but it is not obvious. Many thanks.
>
>Just remember, you need to program the MIN into the handset, as its NOT OTA
>compliant.

*228 option 2 downloads the PRL just fine on my StarTacs. Are you
saying that option 1 configuration (MIN/Home System ID/etc) doesn't
work? I could have sworn that when I changed the number on my StarTac,
that they just did the OTA stuff to change the MIN.
!