I just installed Verizon NationalAccess/Broadband on my Thinkpad and am very
impressed with the performance. With the 5220 PC Card at both my office and
home in south Miami I am seeing peak receive speeds of 400kBPS. I had used
T-Mobile GPRS for some time now and the Verizon performance is significant.
I still have T-Mobile for our voice accounts (and GPRS data on my PDA) but
so far I'm pleased with the Verizon data performance and availability.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

In Northern, MN I use my VX7000 all the time as a modem. I generally
have speeds of 100kbps which is noticably faster than dialup. Can't
wait to have the EV-DO speeds but for now I'm happy with what I got.

I already got a bit of a "warning" about ev-do in rural markets. Your
average rural CDMA tower is fed by a single T1 - thats only
1536kbit/sec. Once you chop out the protocol overhead and a bunch of
voice calls at 15kbit/sec each, there just isn't much left. Voice calls
take priority, and your bits slow down...

I'm just hoping EV-DO's overhead doesn't cause VZW to eliminate the
'free' EN MOU/Get-It-Now 'backdoor'.

Actually... In an Ev-Do area with Ev-Do hardware, can you specify
between 144k 1x mode and ev-do rates?

JS

"Jacob Suter" <j4k3@ezho.org> wrote in message
>I already got a bit of a "warning" about ev-do in rural markets. Your
>average rural CDMA tower is fed by a single T1 - thats only 1536kbit/sec.
>Once you chop out the protocol overhead and a bunch of voice calls at
>15kbit/sec each, there just isn't much left. Voice calls take priority,
>and your bits slow down...
>
> I'm just hoping EV-DO's overhead doesn't cause VZW to eliminate the 'free'
> EN MOU/Get-It-Now 'backdoor'.
>
> Actually... In an Ev-Do area with Ev-Do hardware, can you specify between
> 144k 1x mode and ev-do rates?

I don't see any place in the config manager to select the rate. The card
adapts to the two systems and apparently selects the higher available.

> JS
>

> Brian wrote:
>> In Northern, MN I use my VX7000 all the time as a modem. I generally
>> have speeds of 100kbps which is noticably faster than dialup. Can't
>> wait to have the EV-DO speeds but for now I'm happy with what I got.

See the following URL for my tip on how to force evdo or 1xrtt to
maximize performance.

DB

In news:ib2mp0pcnvd97uf55h6kks4mj2aqgir9ur@4ax.com,
d b <dberger805@softhome.net> typed:
> See the following URL for my tip on how to force evdo or 1xrtt to
> maximize performance.
>
> DB

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Oops, ok, so I forgot a little detail in that post ... like the URL.
I guess alzheimers hit me just as I was posting it. Here's the URL
for real this time ....

http://www.mpedia.com/maxing-performance-the-pc5220-card-evdo.ftopic18016.html

There it is ^^^^^^ see it? I do. I hope it stays :)

DB

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:31:24 -0600, "IMHO" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

>In news:ib2mp0pcnvd97uf55h6kks4mj2aqgir9ur@4ax.com,
>d b <dberger805@softhome.net> typed:
>> See the following URL for my tip on how to force evdo or 1xrtt to
>> maximize performance.
>>
>> DB

EVDO is run on separate circuits from voice traffic, so there is no
contention for b/w with voice users.

Who fed you this line?