Upcoming nForce Chipset!

G

Wow! The nForce Chipset looks very promising! Duel Channel DDR SDRAM memory controller. That means it will be bringing memory to chipset bandwidth up to 4.2 GB/s. That is double the current DDR SDRAM boards can do.

Plus it comes with integrated 3d graphics equal to the GeForce2MX200 for the nForce220 and 30% better than the GeForce2MX200 in the nForce420. That means a free graphics card! For hardcore gamers, we can still use the 4x agp slot.

That is not all either! 5.1 sound. Just like todays soundcards...

"It is also arguably the most potent mainstream solution even when compared with audio cards costing as much as an entire nForce motherboard."

Well this chipset from NVIDIA nForce sure looks promising to me. I think I can even wait for it to come out to build my system and I may even be able to get a AMD Palomino processor. Looks like NVIDIA is not limiting itself to graphics cards anymore.

Take a look at the link!

http://www.vanshardware.com/articles/2001/july/010716_Inside_nForce/010716_Inside_nForce.htm

Tell me what you think!

What can I say?
~Later

G

That is not all either! 5.1 sound. Just like todays soundcards...
No, it is much better than any sound card in existence. Some high-end sound cards can do Dolby decoding. Not a single one can even touch Dolby encoding in real time. nForce does. It is a whole damn multi-processor unit dedicated solely to sound processing. 64 3D and 256 2D voices in hardware simultaneously, as long as 32 hardware submixers. No sound card can even compare.

Leo

G

hmm How are the soundcard makers going to survive if all new mobos start using this same technology. Also I just joined the board so please dont give me any talks of how we have already disscussed because im sure you have. Thanks for your help!

What can I say?
~Later

G

Well, I don't think that nVidia is gonna disclose its nForce APU technology any more than it would disclose its GeForce technology. So I don't think every single mobo is gonna feature that kind of sound. It is a threat to sound card makers, though. Although, some think nForce is only targeting a niche.

By the way, it's the same sound as the one that XBox is gonna have.

Leo

G

Now correct me if I'm wrong.. but most processors run at 32 bit right? New processors (Palomino) run at 64 bit and that is what nForce will support? Or will they support 32 bit also?

What can I say?
~Later

G

Or is it only the new Palominos that arent out yet? (Athlon 4 Desktop) ?! I'm confusing myself LOL

What can I say?
~Later

G

So what is this 64 bit processor i'vee heard about? Or is there one? Is it a conspiracy to confuse me by the government?

What can I say?
~Later

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the video isn't "free". they are charging a hell lot for the chipset so we can't expect the mobos to be cheap either.

:cool: :eek: :redface: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink:

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
The 64-bit processors are much farther down the road.
Well, yes and no. If you're talking about Intel's Itanium (formerly known as Merced) I'm guessing it shouldn't be more than a year (don't flame me, that's just a guess). There was also a 64 bit processor out for many years (since around 1992 or so), the Digital/Compaq Alpha. Unfortunately for various reasons (fear of Intel perhaps?) they recently cancelled production of Alpha. Too bad.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Hammer is AMD's 64 bit processor. AMD has it mapped as coming out int he 2nd half of next year.

nVidia nForce chipset prices will range from around $50 to $100...for the chipset ONLY. Add $50-$100 for the actual motherboard, probably closer to $100 doe that and you get a price at retail between $150 and $200.

So, yes, nForce based mb's will be a bit on the expensive side, BUT they allow such a great amount of integration that all OEM's will have to do is pop in drives and CPU and walla! new system! It will also significantly simplify system confiuration and troubleshooting. This alone could justify the higher cost to OEMs of nForce mb's.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

G

Actually, Itanium is already being sold. But I was talking of AMD's 64-bit processors.

Leo

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well its faster then a hammer.

itaniums EPIC vs. Hammer CISC

Well itanium price is alittle high but its faster then anything.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

dmcmahon

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
Faster at running what, though? Programs that have been recompiled for the new instruction set? Because I'll bet hammer runs the installed base of x86-based code faster than Itanium. Changing the instruction set to boost the performance is a gamble for mighty Intel - after all, their dominance is based on the compatibility of the x86 instruction set with all that code out there. I think Itanium will also be compatible, but the performance may suffer because it's "emulating" some of the instructions. In contrast, AMD has simply extended the x86 architecture to widen the address bus and registers, I think. Anyone got the inside story on this? I'm not sure the above info is accurate...

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
according to infoworld, the itanium is being built to compete with mid-range unix systems. the server/enteprise platform has not been released due to many security and performance issues that have to be tuned up. the article states that the chip is being developed with linux, hp-ux and xp in mind.

...and i would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for you meddling kids...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Pretty simple-a bunch of dorkheads will be putting their chitty SBLIVE cards on them and disabling the sound without ever even listening to it, simply because they "don't want any onboard crap". Probably the same brainiacs in here who also deny the existance of problems with VIA chipsets and believe the workd is flat.
Oh, it is possible to conver 64-bit to 32 and vice versa. Modern video cards are 256-bit, run a 128-bit memory bus, and connect through a 64-bit AGP slot to a 32 bit processor.

Video killed my Radio Card!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Old news... Look at the pricewatch.com. Pricey, though. :)
Couple of questions about this: (oh yeah, it IS pricey)

1) IBM is the manufacturer? Are they fabbing it for Intel?

2) Out of stock? Was it ever IN stock?

3) Who's making a motherboard for this pup?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The Itanium runs x86 code roughly as fast as a pentium 200mmx, heh, the hammer will run x86 instructions nativly, so for 32 bit legacy apps, AMD will thrash Intel.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

OmegaX

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2001
The Itanium runs x86 code roughly as fast as a pentium 200mmx, heh, the hammer will run x86 instructions nativly, so for 32 bit legacy apps

Your statement is misleading. Unfortunetly, you are neglecting to mention the fact that Intel's Itanium processor is a pure-bred 64-bit processor and can only use 64-bit software, whereas AMD's Hammer is backwards compatible with 32-bit software, but not nearly as fast when it comes to 64-bit applications. It will be another war between Beta/VHS-type war between Intel and AMD as we have seen them trying to set the standards of DDR ram and RDRAM, which it seems that AMD is slowly winning this battle. Only time, user-preference and heavy marketing (which Intel has a major advantage as seen with their P4 marketing campaign).

One other thing, everyone forgets to mention that every major processor company is coming out with a 64-bit processor icluding Motorolla (I know I hate Apple too). I am just mentioning this to see what peoples opinions are of this so-called G5 coming out at the end of 2002, it will be 64-bit aimed at the desktop market and debut at 2Ghz. as we all know Motorolla processors slaughter AMD and Intel Processors Mhz for Mhz and consume far less power that they don't even require a CPU Fan. I mean personally I hate Apple and think that they are the devil, but I know a lot of people that rave about Apple.

It will be interesting to see the battle late-2002/early-2003 between Intel and AMD, as well to see how these new Motorolla Processors perform. I hope I did not start any flame wars; I tried to be informative without being biased.

My System: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=9417" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=9417</A>