RevRoy

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2001
My daughter's computer had lightening surge and fried the video & sound card which I replaced and did a format and installed win 98. During the boot a warning began flashing that "SPD is not present at Dimm(s)3" The computer worked just fine! Does anyone know about this warning and what to do about it? Thanks, Rev-Roy.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
"SPD" (I think it means "serial presence detection" or something) is the information code that tells BIOS what kind of memory your using. It is possible that the portion of your memory that holds this information was damaged without causing damage to the individual chips themselves, resulting in a chip that works fine but cannot be automatically configured. BIOS would have to relly on the other modules to provide configuration. I would suggest that if you configure your memory manually, the message may dissapear. As it is, as long as it works, there is not a problem.

Video killed my Radio Card!

RevRoy

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2001
Thanks for the reply. There is only one 64 stick in the mobo and it's in Dimm 1 so I guess the warning won't bother operation. Where can I find out how to configure memory manually?